473 replies to this topic

#1 Piano Chick

Piano Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Member: 898966

Posted 13 August 2020 - 14:53

Apologies if this has been asked before but are other teachers asking pupils to wear face coverings in one to one lessons? I teach piano in a small studio in my garden. I haven’t taught face to face since March (although have done a few Face Time sessions). I have said to my pupils I intend to start teaching again during September but I’m undecided about face masks. I have said I will wear a clear visor but should I as my pupils to cover up too? I teach al ages from 6 to 66. I’d be really grateful for your views.

#2 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1458 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 13 August 2020 - 15:29

Bear in mind that children under the age of 11 are not required to wear masks in England and Wales, and are unlikley to be doing so in Junior Schools when the latter re-open.

#3 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6678 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 13 August 2020 - 15:32

My teacher is requiring students to be masked. She wears a mask and a visor.

#4 The Great Sosso

The Great Sosso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Member: 887899

Posted 13 August 2020 - 15:45

My understanding is that a mask protects others but not you, whereas a visor protects you but not others.

If you are worried for yourself, wear a visor and ask students to wear a mask.

If you want to show concern for others, wear a mask.

I think I might wear both, and then it is up to the student what they do - I'll be covered either way.  The piano will be disinfected in between lessons and handwashing enforced 'fore and aft.

I will also be offering remote lessons for those who are still shielding.

TGS X

#5 Piano Chick

Piano Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Member: 898966

Posted 13 August 2020 - 16:08

Thank you - actually I had felt I should wear a mask as well as a visor but felt perhaps with my youngest pupils they would rather see my face. That’s a good point about Junior School pupils - maybe I should ask those at seniors school or older to wear masks.

I am fortunate enough have an upright and an electric piano. I was thinking of using the electric piano for pupils and obviously sanitise between each pupil. And I can use the upright for demonstration and accompanying.

And lots of hand sanitizer!

#6 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 13 August 2020 - 16:23

I don't mask up and only one of my students has chosen to do so - but I don't get within close range of them at all. I have a mask on the side though and have offered to wear it if people want me to. If I worked in a smaller room I would have a mask wearing policy though. Also, if schools start to insist on them I may change. I'm on holiday in France at the moment, traveling around and mask use is everywhere - you do get used to it quickly.

#7 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5359 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 13 August 2020 - 17:07

I'm not asking pupils to wear masks and I'm not wearing one.

Standard hygiene procedures as prescribed seemingly everywhere are in place and I distance when possible, but don't worry about approaching briefly when necessary.

The only time I ask for faces to be covered is if we are singing anything, and we pull tee-shirt over nose and mouth.

Masks make me feel ill.

#8 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8401 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 13 August 2020 - 17:07

I'd be inclined to follow the rulling for schools. I don't know what that will be in September in England. Here in France the rule is that Junior school children need not wear masks but teachers and other adults present should if social distancing is not possible - and of course in schools it won't be. Teachers are also reminded they must wear masks in their own staff rooms and at meetings. All secondary school children and teachers must wear masks. The only exceptions are for PE lessons which must, however be arranged so that social distancing is possible.

I teach in a small room in a primary school and I have pupils from several schools who come there for their lessons, including a number of secondary school students. I will wear a mask all the time. I will accept children under 11 without a mask but I will not accept any pupil of 11 or over unless they wear a mask. In everything else - sanitizing, surfaces, hand washing, gel etc i will be taking the same precautions as the school - which means quite a lot of cleaning  of surfaces and the piano. I have had to produce a written protocole for acceptance by the head teacher - which she has done, checking it against the latest govenment circular. All parents must read and sign it at the beginning of the school year.

#9 silverlady54

silverlady54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Member: 889140
  • Cheshire

Posted 13 August 2020 - 17:16

I have started teaching from home this week.  I teach only adults and so far everyone wears a mask, including me and uses the sanitiser on the way in and out.  I clean everything between visits and have allowed a little extra time between lessons to do this.  They all seem very happy to do this and it's much better than zoom! 

#10 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1721 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 13 August 2020 - 17:28

I wouldn't attend a lesson in a confined space with a teacher who wasn't wearing a mask. The problem at the moment is that only 1 in 2000 people are infected with the virus, so most people feel there's little point in wearing a mask or taking any great precautions. About half of people (judging by the current state of London transport) decide not to bother. 1999 of them get away with it because they have no infection to spread. The other one turns out to be infected, and because they went to a barbecue at the local pub, popped in to visit their grandmother at the care-home, sneezed in Tesco, and chatted with all their neighbours, they clock up a personal R-number of about 50 and end up triggering a local lock-down.... and then they wonder why they look bad when it hits social media. It's a personal choice!

#11 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6396 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 13 August 2020 - 17:33

I started face-to-face lessons today, and asked all students to wear a mask, wore one myself and opened the window. I don't have the luxury of distancing as I just have a single upright piano and no digital, so masks are vital. Two students turned up without, despite me having written to all parents a few weeks ago to advise them of the safety measures I would be putting in place. I didn't have the heart to turn them away, even when they said they had only arrived home from Glasgow 5 days ago (contravening another precaution they had been advised about).

I'm very unsure about visors, and can't see how they protect the user, as any possible infections will surely get under the visor much more easily than with a mask as the air streams move around more freely.

The hand sanitiser I have for pupils contains alcohol. One pupil can't use it as she is allergic to it, and brought her own with her. Otherwise things worked out pretty well, except that they didn't bring their own pens, pencils, rubbers, etc, although I had asked them to. Certainly a vast improvement on zoom.

#12 katyjay

katyjay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16393 posts
  • Member: 275
  • North Surrey

Posted 13 August 2020 - 17:47

I'm staying online.

This is why:

https://youtu.be/s5jVXpW3r1A

#13 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5359 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 13 August 2020 - 17:52

I'm staying online.
This is why:
https://youtu.be/s5jVXpW3r1A

True enough! Hope there's plenty of solo flute rep; although Musicminusone could make a killing

#14 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6678 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 13 August 2020 - 18:49

I'm very unsure about visors, and can't see how they protect the user, as any possible infections will surely get under the visor much more easily than with a mask as the air streams move around more freely.

A visor will protect you from large droplets going into your eyes. It will indeed not protect you against aerosolised droplets which can float around the edges.

#15 Piano Meg

Piano Meg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Member: 271350
  • Commuter country!

Posted 13 August 2020 - 19:14

Two students turned up without, despite me having written to all parents a few weeks ago to advise them of the safety measures I would be putting in place. I didn't have the heart to turn them away, even when they said they had only arrived home from Glasgow 5 days ago (contravening another precaution they had been advised about).

That's pretty shocking. Note to self: phone parents if there's important information to share! But even if they didn't read what you'd sent, you'd think they'd check with you, given the current situation. Sigh. Definitely reinforces my decision to continue online in September, given we've got a shielder in the house. Misterioso, if you've given them safety precautions, don't be afraid to enforce them - it's not fair on you otherwise, and they'll get used to it.