#1 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted 05 September 2019 - 16:11

Why do folk join this forum? Or rather, why do they start to join and then 'give up'. I've noticed before that regularly new names appear on the members list, but very, very rarely does anyone actually become 'valid' and thus able to post something. About 300 new names have been added to the list since I joined in January, seven became members, the rest all still have 'validating' and '0 posts' beside their names. Of those who are now members, six of them posted, but only three, KiwiMusicMum, Gordon Shumway and I have been active on here.
Not that I think folk MUST be active, I just cannot understand why anyone starts the membership process without wanting to post. One can read the threads without the bother.
After just a couple of days 'validating' I wrote and ask what I was doing wrong that I could read threads but still not add to them. Then things moved fast.
If we regret the dearth of new members posting, is there anything which could be done to help the less 'pushy' types to find it easier to become full members and contribute? Possibly, if folk have filled in the form and tried a couple of times to post a comment somewhere without success, they give up, or forget all about it.
Any ideas on the subject?

#2 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 05 September 2019 - 16:29

I joined this forum because it appeared that I was more likeminded with many of the posters here than on some other piano forums.  (I still post on another piano forum, but feel more at home in the more collegial atmosphere here.)

It took months for my account to get validated.  During that time, I wanted to post, but couldn't.  I wound up having to contact ABRSM via the contact form to request validation.  I very quickly heard back from someone at the Board, who was very friendly and helpful, and who forwarded my e-mail to an IT person.  The IT person, also friendly and helpful, took care of my issue.

I may not post very prolifically, but I do enjoy my time here.

#3 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Member: 7226
  • Lancaster; originally from the Rhubarb Triangle, Heavy Woollen District, Yorkshire

Posted 05 September 2019 - 16:47

Gran'piano, where should I look to see if new applicants are still 'validating' ? Thanks.

#4 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4902 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 05 September 2019 - 16:54

I don't think my validation took more than a few days, but it was a long time ago, and the moderation was more active then. (It had to be- things could get a bit feisty on occasion! We're all very woke and cautious nowadays)
Maybe people are biding their time plucking up courage to join in, OTOH some never do.
I've just joined another forum and haven't posted yet, in case I say something silly (by their standards). It seems to be mainly American and humour/irony doesn't always translate well.

#5 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 18:03

Gran'piano, where should I look to see if new applicants are still 'validating' ? Thanks.

Top left (green stripe on my mobile) Members
On the black stripe, to the right of Member Name and Post Count (I can hardly see it on my mobile) is Join Date
Click on it and the first members appear.
Above that on the left I see Page 1 of 958 then 1 2 3 Next »
The » shows the last page. I didn’t bother to look up other ‘validating‘ entries as I only wanted to see if indeed a lot of folk didn’t go on from that stage.

Hope this is what you wanted.

#6 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Lancaster; originally from the Rhubarb Triangle, Heavy Woollen District, Yorkshire

Posted 05 September 2019 - 18:19

Top left (green stripe on my mobile) Members
On the black stripe, to the right of Member Name and Post Count (I can hardly see it on my mobile) is Join Date
Click on it and the first members appear.
Above that on the left I see Page 1 of 958 then 1 2 3 Next »
The » shows the last page. I didn’t bother to look up other ‘validating‘ entries as I only wanted to see if indeed a lot of folk didn’t go on from that stage.

Hope this is what you wanted.

Thank you. It is so long ago that I joined that I can't remember the validation step nor how long it took. So, all these potentially new members are waiting for the admin team to respond. If so I am happy to send them a note with a gentle reminder. Do you think this would be a reasonable thing to do ?

#7 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 19:14

Re validating / I think I filled in the membership form, sent it off and received an email saying that my ‘application’ had been received and I would hear again when it was completed. Then silence. I waited perhaps three days, then wrote, probably through the contact form as there is no direct link that I could see to the Webmaster. Then it was swiftly done.
Edit:   I applied on Saturday19th January, e-mailed in the evening of  22nd saying I still couldn't post and had an e-mail reply and all done and dusted by lunch-time on 23rd January. (I don't do 'patience')
I think it might be a good idea if you could write and ask if there is a technical glitsch somewhere. I was considering writing to the powers that be myself but I am still pretty new and I wanted to make sure, through this thread, that I wasn’t missing something somewhere.
Thanks for the offer.

#8 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7100 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 05 September 2019 - 19:25

My understanding is that the validation process is there to filter out spam bots. Many of the 'members' waiting to be validated will not actually be genuine attempts from musicians to become a member.

#9 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 19:36

My understanding is that the validation process is there to filter out spam bots. Many of the 'members' waiting to be validated will not actually be genuine attempts from musicians to become a member.

That is a good point Flossie but some will be genuine, DerbySchoolofMusic, perhaps one of them. I will wait until at least tomorrow to see if we get any more thoughts on this thread before contacting the admin team.

#10 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 19:44

I appreciate that, I‘ve moderated on a forum with loads of spamming attempts which we had to deal with, but this is over 300 names with 7 considered to be genuine in a period of about eight months. After all, I didn‘t set a filter to seek out the waiting for validation ones, I just went through all the new applications.
Both D. Rogers and I had to specifically request validation through the contact form. Unusual I would have thought.

#11 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 05 September 2019 - 20:10

I had to contact them more than once - it took more than 2 months to be able to post! It may be that people are just giving up.

#12 vron

vron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Member: 898525

Posted 05 September 2019 - 20:14

I remember hen I joined the validation took some time and I had to contact someone to try and get it done to enable me to post

#13 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 05 September 2019 - 20:49

I don't remember having to wait for any validation - but then there are lots of things I don't remember these days. :lol:

#14 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 06:58

Typed in a note to the admin team, pressed send and received a run time error. Arghhh. Will have another go later today.

#15 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 07:35

The story of my life! Hi hi hi