Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1396 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 16 November 2019 - 14:10

Anyone had to deal with an infestation of Japanese knotweed or had a neighbouring property with JK?

#2 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 16 November 2019 - 16:19

No. But I believe it's not quite as impossible to deal with as some people make out. Your neighbour shouldn't be letting it encroach into your garden. There was some up the road from us in a hedgerow. I reported it to the parish council and nothing seemed to happen for a year, then the next year it looked sickly and the next year it died and there's been not a trace of it since. I'm guessing they used some kind of heavy duty weedkiller. Cutting the stems once they've grown a bit and pouring the weedkiller into the hollow stems is recommended.

#3 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1396 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 16 November 2019 - 17:20

Thanks BG.  I agree that, from everything I've read, it's not quite the death knell/nightmare it was made out to be a while ago as long as it's dealt with.  The grey area seems to be getting buildings insurance as it's a gradual problem and, as I understand it, any treatment while it may be guarantee-backed, cannot guarantee eradication only it guarantees the treatment will be carried out if the original contractor goes out of business.

Anyone had first-hand experience of getting JK treated and/or selling a property with it on (or near an infestation)?