Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15174 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 22 July 2021 - 21:23

@Aquarelle - I might have posted this elsewhere - but one of the many revolutions I have decided I'm starting is one against automated phone systems.

I have been driven nearly insane in the past few weeks (Bag has too) with going round in ever-decreasing circles in the effort to speak to A Real Live Person Who Can Solve My Problem.

The last person I spoke to at Barclays, when I told him of my revolution, said 'I'm with you there - let me know when you start it'.   So even the employees feel the same!   He also said he goes to sleep with the 'on hold' muzak going round and round in his head because they have to listen to it too.   I told him I could come up with 100 pieces of music of different styles that would be nicer to listen to than the non-music that this company forces people to endure.    So that's ANOTHER revolution!

I'll let you all know when I start them...

:)

#22712 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4013 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 23 July 2021 - 09:43

My husband's company wanted to get new on hold music so they got everyone to ask their family what they would choose. Almost everyone opted for silence or a ring tone. Predictably, the company didn't like this. I don't know why they bothered asking.

#22713 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8701 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 23 July 2021 - 14:23

What about that Phiilip Glass piece - total silence?

#22714 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18974 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 23 July 2021 - 15:23

Do you mean the John Cage piece called  4' 33  ?  I attended a recital whilst at Uni , mid 60's, and it was performed.  The pianist opened the piano lid with one hand and simultanously started a stop clock with the other.  At 4 min 33 precisely , he closed the lid, stood up and bowed !!

#22715 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2429 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 23 July 2021 - 17:01

What about that Phiilip Glass piece - total silence?

I'm guessing you mean John Cage? But somehow a silent Phillip Glass would be even better  :D

#22716 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5725 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 23 July 2021 - 17:09

Total something!

#22717 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8701 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 23 July 2021 - 18:35

Whoops!! Yes, of course I meant  John Cage! Must be the heat wave! Or the fact that Philip Glass has been causing me a lot of bother this last term and I have rather got him on my mind. Helen - yes! A certain series of Saturday morning lessons might have been better passed in silence! The boy did finally say he would probably still be tryingt to get 2 against 3 right in several years time. I didn't choose the piece!  Teenage initiative! :(

#22718 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London SE5

Posted 24 July 2021 - 16:52

I don't often lock my sash windows - just raise them and lower them.

Yesterday I locked them before going shopping. Came back and forgetfully heaved on one of them and did all the muscles in my left arm in.

I can hold my violin, but putting it back down again is agony!

#22719 Rach123

Rach123

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1009 posts
  • Member: 244658
  • Colchester, Essex

Posted 25 July 2021 - 18:36

I think i'm going to have to get a new job :argh: (i'm planning on leaving but haven't quit yet)

Problem is I don't know what I want to do. All of my work experience is retail but I don't really want to be stuck in retail.

#22720 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3441 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 25 July 2021 - 19:59

I started off in retail, Rach. Finally left and went into education when a little older than you are now. So it can be done.....

Bag x

#22721 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Member: 899443
  • Switzerland

Posted 25 July 2021 - 19:59

@Aquarelle - I might have posted this elsewhere - but one of the many revolutions I have decided I'm starting is one against automated phone systems.

I have been driven nearly insane in the past few weeks (Bag has too) with going round in ever-decreasing circles in the effort to speak to A Real Live Person Who Can Solve My Problem.

The last person I spoke to at Barclays, when I told him of my revolution, said 'I'm with you there - let me know when you start it'.   So even the employees feel the same!   He also said he goes to sleep with the 'on hold' muzak going round and round in his head because they have to listen to it too.   I told him I could come up with 100 pieces of music of different styles that would be nicer to listen to than the non-music that this company forces people to endure.    So that's ANOTHER revolution!

When the canton of Zürich started their Contact Tracing Hot Line, they realised how people hate ringing a phone number and then waiting for ever to get through. Someone had the idea of asking Andrew Bond, a local musician who has written loads of songs, particularly for children, in the local dialect, to write a song to be played during the waiting period.  The Warteschlaufe. Basically that means 'waiting queue' but has an implication of going round in circles not getting anywhere.

I know the guy and asked him if he could give me a link to put in here. 

It may not be great music, but at least it makes a change. Of course, the effect was that everyone was ringing the number just to listen to the song!

https://soundcloud.c...tracing-hotline 

#22722 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15174 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 21:55

When the canton of Zürich started their Contact Tracing Hot Line, they realised how people hate ringing a phone number and then waiting for ever to get through. Someone had the idea of asking Andrew Bond, a local musician who has written loads of songs, particularly for children, in the local dialect, to write a song to be played during the waiting period.  The Warteschlaufe. Basically that means 'waiting queue' but has an implication of going round in circles not getting anywhere.

I know the guy and asked him if he could give me a link to put in here. 

It may not be great music, but at least it makes a change. Of course, the effect was that everyone was ringing the number just to listen to the song!

https://soundcloud.c...tracing-hotline

Thank you for this!   Most definitely preferable to what Barclays put me through over the past few weeks!

#22723 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15174 posts

Posted 25 July 2021 - 22:01

I think i'm going to have to get a new job :argh: (i'm planning on leaving but haven't quit yet)

Problem is I don't know what I want to do. All of my work experience is retail but I don't really want to be stuck in retail.

Get hold of Sir Ken Robinson's two books on 'The Element'.    One is mostly anecdotal stories of people who stumbled across their 'element' (which he defines as something which a) you are good at and b) which you love doing).    The other is more of a self-help 'how to find your element' guide, with lots of very useful ideas and exercises.     You'll also find talks by him on YouTube about 'finding your element'.

Bag is an amazing example of someone who has changed professional direction many times in her life - as she said, it CAN be done!     If you'd told me at 21, when I left college, that I'd be doing what I'm doing now, I would have laughed - 'What, ME?  MUSIC???  Ha ha!!!'

There was a great article, I think in the Guardian, a few years back, about people who had changed direction in life.   My favourite was headed 'Lawyer turned human cannonball'  :D .   If you Google that I think it will come up.

But look to Ken Robinson :wub: first - I think you'll find it really helpful to start to guide you to what is right and best for you.

#22724 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:21

I like the approach on Careershifters. I have only read their free articles (they do workshops too) and they were helpful. Quite different from the usual "make a list of your interests" stuff.

#22725 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2190 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 26 July 2021 - 07:43

Some years ago a neighbour who worked in finance in the City of London got fed up and re-trained as a plumber. He now earns more in his new job than even the inflated amounts paid to workers in the financial sector.