Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5957 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 08 October 2019 - 18:24

WHAT???!!!

If anyone saw my recent post in the Scream Thread about AB not coming to our neck of the woods for an exam session this autumn due to insufficient entries, here is the latest. They have now decided - almost two weeks on from the email saying that they weren't coming - that they ARE coming, due to difficulty of candidates travelling to the exam centre on the mainland (which they knew about before). This is really escalating my stress levels.  :headdesk:

So now we have spent the last two lessons doing completely different, non-exam-related work, as I thought she needed a break from having worked so hard for the exam just to discover that it wasn't going to happen. We needed those two lessons as her scales are wobbly and pieces still need some work. I've phoned the parents to find out what they want to do (because I don't really think it should be AB's decision any more), but if she decided not to go ahead, I'm wondering if AB would refund the fee, given the scenario.

I'm waiting to hear back from the parents - but of course, now I won't see her for two weeks because next week is a school holiday.... Do I think she could still do it in the time we have left? Yes, but she is a teenager, and with teenagers nothing ever goes to plan.

:wacko:  :headdesk:  :angry2:  :argh:

#2 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2812 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 08 October 2019 - 19:38

I would certainly hope AB would refund you if she decides not to go ahead. They've already broken their contract with you. It's not up to them to decide unilaterally to reinstate it.

#3 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7806 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 08 October 2019 - 19:49

Commiserations Misterioso. I've had some recent dealings with the board which led me to believe that they have no idea what the term "customer service" means.  They really ought to think things through and to bear in mind that we pay a lot of money for their services.

#4 ten left thumbs

ten left thumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 822 posts
  • Member: 454622

Posted 08 October 2019 - 20:46

Given the scenario, provided you can prove they said they weren't coming, I would hope they would be legally obliged to refund fully. I would hope that trading standards/environmental health would help with this. I mean, they said they weren't coming, what were you supposed to do? What would anyone do? What were they thinking? Did someone suddenly look at a map and work out where the outer Hebrides actually are? Like they weren't there yesterday? 

#5 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5957 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:42

Thanks for your support, folks. I can prove they said they weren't coming as I still have their email. However, I felt it only fair to ask the candidate's parents - and the candidate herself, of course - if she still wanted to do the exam, and now she has decided that she does. Cue extra lessons to make up for missed exam work! She will have her work cut out to be ready in time, and as they haven't yet confirmed the date I don't know if her accompanist will be available, but we will do our best. 

Ten left thumbs - yes, I couldn't agree more. The person I am dealing with at AB is, as I recall, the same person who came up here in the summer in order to get feedback from remote people like us with regard to exams, so it's not as though they didn't know where we were, or the logistics of getting to the mainland. The whole thing is just so frustrating, and I could do without the stress. 

#6 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19927 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:05

Unbelievable. I do feel for you.

Best of luck to you and your pupil in successfully riding this unacceptable situation !

#7 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1126 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:48

The person I am dealing with at AB is, as I recall, the same person who came up here in the summer in order to get feedback from remote people like us with regard to exams, so it's not as though they didn't know where we were, or the logistics of getting to the mainland. 

I remember an examiner telling me that colleagues down for a week in Canterbury (Kent) are often asked to do a day in Gillingham, 28 miles away so about 40 minutes by car. Except that they are very often sent to Gillingham in Dorset - several hours from Canterbury. I get the impression that some of the tour planners at the board are not too well up on logistics. Still, since your person has been to your lovely part of the country, they really ought to be aware of the problems. Hope it all turns out well for you.