7 replies to this topic

#1 chasing

chasing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Member: 899170

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:58

Though this isn’t the most technically difficult piece out of my three - I still am overwhelmed by my inability to maintain technique and energy for this B3 Hadyn piece from the current G8 syllabus. I get extremely tired from playing the tremolos that are SCATTERED AROUND THE WHOLE PIECE, and my playing gradually becomes messier and messier everytime I reattempt playing.

Is there any specific technique I could be executing to make this piece less tiring to play?

#2 Edwardo

Edwardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Member: 4759
  • Gloucestershire

Posted 12 September 2018 - 10:08

I don't know that there's any specific technique, but like all passagework it requires maximum relaxation!

#3 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1809 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 12 September 2018 - 12:35

....also try to use wrist rotation rather than finger action.

#4 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 12 September 2018 - 13:54

Not up to Grade 8 yet, but can symapthise - there was a Grade 5 piece I looked at not long ago, Burgmuller's "L'Orage", and while I love it as a piece, I did find it exhausting to play all the way through as that had a lot of tremolo action! I think a lot of these things need time to develop - playing an instrument does, after all, demand a pretty high level of physicality, and that just can't happen overnight, even if you do have perfect technique. Does playing it a bit slower help? You've got a couple of months to get it up to speed later.

Good luck with it! smile.png  - what are your other pieces?

#5 chasing

chasing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 September 2018 - 22:10

....also try to use wrist rotation rather than finger action.

Ahhhh! Doing way too much of that - thanks for the realisation.

Not up to Grade 8 yet, but can symapthise - there was a Grade 5 piece I looked at not long ago, Burgmuller's "L'Orage", and while I love it as a piece, I did find it exhausting to play all the way through as that had a lot of tremolo action! I think a lot of these things need time to develop - playing an instrument does, after all, demand a pretty high level of physicality, and that just can't happen overnight, even if you do have perfect technique. Does playing it a bit slower help? You've got a couple of months to get it up to speed later.

Good luck with it! smile.png  - what are your other pieces?

Grade 8 will be in your hands sooner than you'll anticipate - not sure whether thats exciting or frightening haha. I definitely recall that L'Orage piece and I still believe it is an unbelievable tricky grade 5 piece up to today! I think playing slower does help a lot + sounds a lot more stable but it's probably just muscle memory and less finger reliance (more wrist as agricola said) now I think about it. 

My other pieces are A1 Gigue and C5 Doctor ad gradus Parnassum - both actually quite tiring pieces to play actually. What grade are you up to now + which pieces have you chosen? biggrin.png

#6 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:02

I'm so glad you thought L'Orage was hard too!! smile.png  I plan to revisit it in the future...

Thank you for asking - I'm about Grade 6 at the moment, but not doing exams as they're too terrifying!! I'm looking at the Bach from the 2019/20 syllabus, which is fantastic, and have done three pieces from the 2017/18 syllabus with my teacher (Gade, Merikanto, Mozart). Best of all, though, is Beethoven's Minuet and Trio from the 2015/16 syllabus - just amazing!! That said, it's much harder than the other Grade 6 pieces I've looked at, so it seems like L'Orage is not the only piece whose difficulty has been under-estimated by examiners! (Glad they both got included, though, or I'd never have found them!)

I love your other two Grade 8 choices as well!! I would feel very excited at the thought of ever being able to play music like that, but I really can't imagine ever having the finger strength necessary for such sustained and fluent playing. Would love to though!!

#7 chasing

chasing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 September 2018 - 08:40

Those are some nice choices I hear ohmy.png  I did the Merikanto too but with Trinity G6 as I did their exams prior to grade 8; really nice piece. I haven't had a good time hunting for good music out of the 2019/2020 syllabus because I feel like it is rather mediocre in Grades 7 and 8 - was surprised to see one of my Grade 7 pieces Scarf Dance that I did with Trinity being in the new grade 8. Weird to see how the difficulty fluctuates over the years with every exam board. wacko.png

To be honest, any pianist that reaches to a grade 6 level is capable of playing any grade 7+ piece though it may take longer to tackle depending what piece and technique it demands. I personally found the jump from Grade 5 to 6 the biggest out of all the grades I've worked on so far. I am sure you will be fine reaching a higher level of playing, especially if you have been tackling that Beethoven...! Best of luck with your playing

#8 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 10:11

To be honest, any pianist that reaches to a grade 6 level is capable of playing any grade 7+ piece though it may take longer to tackle depending what piece and technique it demands. I personally found the jump from Grade 5 to 6 the biggest out of all the grades I've worked on so far. I am sure you will be fine reaching a higher level of playing, especially if you have been tackling that Beethoven...! Best of luck with your playing

Thank you! smile.png  Definitely my technique isn't quite up to playing trills on semi-quavers just yet! Lots to learn. Bach's Invention No.10 should help with some of that, though, especially if I can work out how to play these little mordents at anything quieter than fortissimo.... biggrin.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Haydn, grade 8, piano, Exam