Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Member: 266661
  • Buckinghamshire

Posted 15 January 2020 - 17:47

Hi

I’m just starting to look into putting together a programme for my ARSM. I have a couple of pieces, from the syllabus, that I really like. But, I would like to do a solo piece too. I can only see 3 solo pieces on the syllabus- sonatina for solo flute (Bennett, can’t find a recording anywhere to listen to), Syrinx (I like, but feel everyone does it) and Density 21.5 (such a weird piece!).

The syllabus states that ‘ The remaining time (up to 10 minutes) can be filled with own-choice repertoire. Please note that:
own-choice repertoire should be at, or above, ABRSM Grade 8 standard;
prior approval from ABRSM is not needed (and can’t be given), for any own-choice repertoire;
woodwind, brass and singing candidates taking a break, must take the time from this 10-minute allowance;
performing a full programme chosen from ARSM repertoire lists doesn’t give any advantage over choosing to include some own-choice repertoire.’

So, I’m looking into finding a solo piece that’s not on the syllabus and is a suitable standard. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Gemmasue

#2 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 15 January 2020 - 18:29

How about the Telemann Fantasias? I was going to suggest doing one, because I did the Fantastia in D for my G8 with Trinity, but the list actually says you can do any two.

#3 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7137 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 15 January 2020 - 18:46

I like the Bennett sonatina and think it is a very accessible piece. It is 20th century, but not 'weird' as you call it. The CPE Bach Wq.132 is also unaccompanied. If the piece can be grade 8 standard, rather than diploma standard, then a Telemann Fantasia or one of the Piazolla Tango Etudes could be suitable (check the grade 6 and 7 lists for both boards as a couple of the tango Etudes and sections of Telemann Fantasias are set lower). Honneger's Danse de le Chevre is a Romantic era option on the Trinity grade 8 list. I think it has been on the DipABRSM list in the past. If you have a really good sense of pulse then the Liebermann Soliloquy could be an option - the notes are easy but it is written without a time signature or bar lines which means you need to create some sort of structure yourself in order to create a convincing and cohesive performance (you don't want it to sound like you are just doing whatever you fancy!). There are also the Muczynski Preludes which drift around between the grade 8 and diploma syllabi.

#4 gemmasue

gemmasue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Buckinghamshire

Posted 15 January 2020 - 19:04

How about the Telemann Fantasias? I was going to suggest doing one, because I did the Fantastia in D for my G8 with Trinity, but the list actually says you can do any two.

This is exactly why I asked- I didn’t realise that these were solo pieces! I will have a peep on YouTube.

Thank you!

#5 gemmasue

gemmasue

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Buckinghamshire

Posted 15 January 2020 - 19:06

I like the Bennett sonatina and think it is a very accessible piece. It is 20th century, but not 'weird' as you call it. The CPE Bach Wq.132 is also unaccompanied. If the piece can be grade 8 standard, rather than diploma standard, then a Telemann Fantasia or one of the Piazolla Tango Etudes could be suitable (check the grade 6 and 7 lists for both boards as a couple of the tango Etudes and sections of Telemann Fantasias are set lower). Honneger's Danse de le Chevre is a Romantic era option on the Trinity grade 8 list. I think it has been on the DipABRSM list in the past. If you have a really good sense of pulse then the Liebermann Soliloquy could be an option - the notes are easy but it is written without a time signature or bar lines which means you need to create some sort of structure yourself in order to create a convincing and cohesive performance (you don't want it to sound like you are just doing whatever you fancy!). There are also the Muczynski Preludes which drift around between the grade 8 and diploma syllabi.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look them up. The Liebermann might not be so good for me, as I tend to have horrendous sense of pulse! But, you never know, maybe I’ll be good at it?!

Thanks again!

#6 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 15 January 2020 - 19:22

Danse de la Chevre is on the LRSM list for ABRSM at the moment, but is also a G8 piece for Trinity. Obviously they're after different things at G8 and LRSM level.

My teacher had me work on it immediately after my G8, and it's really wonderful. He said it's often used as an audition piece, because you can show skills in dynamic variation, playing fast, and your use of tone colour and phrasing.

#7 Yet another muso

Yet another muso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Member: 103420

Posted 18 January 2020 - 21:25

Another thing you might like to look at is the solo pieces by contemporary American composer Katherine Hoover. She writes pieces evocative of Native American Flute music often unusually notated without barlines. Kokopeli is the most popular of her pieces but she has written others too.