#4666 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 22 September 2021 - 18:46

Apparently that's how long the decompression phase often lasts from leaving one's job.

Anyhow, I don't see any point in having a sparkly house. You'd have to keep cleaning it because every new particle of dust would be too visible.

#4667 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1812 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 22 September 2021 - 19:39

I am so decompressed I can practically float!

#4668 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 22 September 2021 - 20:28

:D

#4669 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 22 September 2021 - 20:39

I've been retired a good 18 months now Zixi! ;)

Exactly. You've only just begun! :lol:

#4670 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1812 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 22 September 2021 - 21:15

I read somewhere that dirty windows let in more light, as clean glass reflects it. Or did I conveniently imagine that?
(Apologies, this is deflecting the thread from the important topic of spit!)

#4671 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 08:26

I read somewhere that dirty windows let in more light, as clean glass reflects it. Or did I conveniently imagine that?

They also reduce sound transmission so that you can practise high C on the descant! :)

#4672 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted 23 September 2021 - 08:35

Apparently that's how long the decompression phase often lasts from leaving one's job.

Mine took my last train journey home!  Probably not the whole journey in fact.  However, my main career goal for many years was retirement, and I systematically wound down to it for the last 2 years of work.

Unintended consequences are strange things - I have read that global warming was given a significant boost by all the work that went into cleaning up emissions: when they were dirty and smoggy they apparently had the effect of reflecting sunlight off the outer atmosphere; now that they are much cleaner CO2 you get all of the greenhouse effect but none of the reflectivity, thus speeding up warming.  Be careful of what you clean!

The first day of autumn is ridiculously sunny so I'm going to have to spend it mowing the field rather than practising high notes on the descant.  Still, lots of miserable weather coming up :)

#4673 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 23 September 2021 - 14:47

Mine took my last train journey home!  Probably not the whole journey in fact.  However, my main career goal for many years was retirement, and I systematically wound down to it for the last 2 years of work.

Unintended consequences are strange things - I have read that global warming was given a significant boost by all the work that went into cleaning up emissions: when they were dirty and smoggy they apparently had the effect of reflecting sunlight off the outer atmosphere; now that they are much cleaner CO2 you get all of the greenhouse effect but none of the reflectivity, thus speeding up warming.  Be careful of what you clean!

The first day of autumn is ridiculously sunny so I'm going to have to spend it mowing the field rather than practising high notes on the descant.  Still, lots of miserable weather coming up :)

I'd had enough of work by the time I quit. My husband said I had my nose 'pressed to the window'... :lol: Retirement is wonderful. But I do think that when one first retires one does need to take some time which doesn't have any 'must do's in it. 

#4674 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6862 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 24 September 2021 - 17:31

Please, why does this happen with my alto recorder? I have a keyed alto, and as soon as I press the first key, the sound leaps up an octave. Of course, I know it's something I'm doing wrong, and haven't learnt how to do right yet, but in the absence of lessons (first lesson eagerly awaited next week!) how do I attempt to put this right?

#4675 elemimele

elemimele

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2099 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 25 September 2021 - 13:49

To be honest, it's a physical impossibility because to jump up an octave you really want a small leak somewhere in the vicinity of half-way along the tube. That's the point of half-holed thumb-holes. The keys at the far end shouldn't be able to do that. So my suspicion is that in the effort of ensuring you're using the correct key, correctly, one of your other fingers higher up on the recorder is leaking slightly. I'd suggest letting it happen, and then carefully trying out each other finger: lifting it and replacing it, wiggling it, ensuring it's firmly in place, and seeing if you can diagnose who's the culprit. Good luck!

(caveat: I might be completely wrong)

#4676 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 14:04

I think elemimele is probably right about this - I've noticed the same effect on other woodwinds where struggling to close one key I've introduced a leak somewhere else.  Maybe also worth considering, though I think it's less likely, is that it's not actually that hard to overblow the lowest notes by accident (maybe more so on larger sizes, not sure about that).  I've just randomly tried three of mine and, with all 8 holes fully closed, I can pretty easily get the next octave just by blowing a bit harder, quite cleanly on 2 of them.  So if you're not used to the instrument, you could also try blowing more softly (plus dropped jaw etc).  But I'd do the leak check first.

I'm assuming this is an alto with keys that operate hole 7?  I have seen some instruments that have keys for 3 and 4 as well, though less likely on an alto.  However, such an arrangement would open up more interesting leak possibilities.

#4677 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 16:32

Agreed with all of that. Always question leaky fingers and breath first.

Totally off topic but I've been meaning to draw attention to this resource. Not sure if the rest of you have seen Helen Hooker's new blog so here's the linky.

https://www.helenhooker.co.uk/blog

There's a wealth of material on her site. I subscribe to her newsletter too. It's wonderfully chatty and always includes a fabulous photo!

#4678 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6862 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 25 September 2021 - 16:56

To be honest, it's a physical impossibility because to jump up an octave you really want a small leak somewhere in the vicinity of half-way along the tube. That's the point of half-holed thumb-holes. The keys at the far end shouldn't be able to do that. So my suspicion is that in the effort of ensuring you're using the correct key, correctly, one of your other fingers higher up on the recorder is leaking slightly. I'd suggest letting it happen, and then carefully trying out each other finger: lifting it and replacing it, wiggling it, ensuring it's firmly in place, and seeing if you can diagnose who's the culprit. Good luck!

(caveat: I might be completely wrong)

Thanks, eleminele. It is indeed a tiny leak - I think this is happening with finger 4 (or right hand finger 1 - is that right? - Still getting used to this blasted method of finger numbers.) Given that I am struggling a little with the size, this is logically perhaps where one might expect it to happen. I will experiment more as you suggest above to make sure it is (just) this and not many other snags along the way. Happily, I did also manage to play the first keyed note today, not consistently, but once or twice.

:woot:

I'm assuming this is an alto with keys that operate hole 7?  I have seen some instruments that have keys for 3 and 4 as well, though less likely on an alto.  However, such an arrangement would open up more interesting leak possibilities.

Yes, it's hole 7.

And another thing (quite unrelated). When I am playing top G (not very very top, you understand, just the G that sits on the top line of the stave) the recorder feels horribly unsupported. I noticed this with soprano, but the problem is exacerbated with alto. Would a thumb rest help? What do you all do to support the instrument?

OH NO!!!!

While searching for thumb rests on the Early Music Shop website, I came across a beautiful tenor pearwood recorder, with keys for 3 and 4, 7 and 8. I'd always assumed I wouldn't be able to manage a tenor due to finger spacing, but with the keys.... Please, someone, convince me I really don't want a tenor as well!

#4679 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 26 September 2021 - 07:29

Of course you want a tenor as well!  You know you do.  Same fingering as descant, too :)

A thumb rest is very useful to stop them suddenly lurching downwards while playing.  I bought a wooden one that sticks on with double sided sticky tape which is quite nice because it blends quite well with the instrument and the attachment is non-destructive.  I find that the plastic ones stay put as the material just has more grip.  You can also buy a plastic Aulos clip-on rest but it doesn't look great on a wooden recorder, and Mollenhauer and Küng make brass ones but they are quite expensive.  Other solutions for wooden ones I have come across include putting a bit of sticking plaster (the thick-ish material type you use to hold dressings on) on the back where you thumb goes, or even a square of fine sandpaper, both with the idea of providing the sort of friction the plastic instruments have.  I found the sticking plaster ok-ish; the sandpaper worked better but tended to, er, sandpaper my thumb a bit.  There are other ideas kicking around if you google the issue.

See:

https://www.aafab.nl...es&pagenumber=0

And just for fun:

https://www.thomann...._plus_tenor.htm

https://www.thomann....mfort_tenor.htm

https://www.thomann....rt_knickten.htm

https://www.thomann....or_with_key.htm

#4680 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6862 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 26 September 2021 - 08:59

It's actually the Canta comfort tenor I had my eye on - but it's over £100 cheaper in your link!

Thanks for those ideas about thumb rests. I wasn't keen on the idea of putting a plastic rest on a wooden instrument, especially as I read on the EMS website that they can be inclined to scratch. But the ones in your link look perfect.