vron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Member: 898525
  • South Shropshire

Posted 10 September 2020 - 20:23

I have a week ago bought an alto flute. now i need a stand for it. I have put it on k & M flute stand  that I have for c flute but though it fits it doesnt really feel as steady as the c flute on it. What do other people use? Loking online alto flute stands seem to be basically the same as for other flutes is this correct or is there a longer peg stand etc I should buy

thanks

#2 Lucid

Lucid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Member: 23721
  • UK

Posted 10 September 2020 - 21:46

Not that I've got an alto flute myself but I imagine the alto flute stands have a longer peg to them, so a standard flute stand wouldn't be suitable. I use K&M compact stands for my flute and piccolo but they don't seem to have one for the alto on the Just Flutes webpage, which possibly means they don't produce them for alto flute. If I were looking to buy an alto flute stand I'd probably then go for the Hercules Alto Flute stand. I use Hercules stands for a lot of my instruments when playing live and they are very sturdy and robust. 

Lucid :)

#3 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7166 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 11 September 2020 - 12:31

I have the Hercules alto flute stand which is excellent. The big alto flute peg screws into the middle of the stand so that the legs provide good balance. You can buy pegs for a standard flute and piccolo which screw into the legs. The alto flute peg is totally different to the flute one.

Another (and less ideal) option is to get a compact oboe stand and add hair bands to make the peg the correct diameter for the alto flute. This is something I have done, but I would not recommend it unless you are placing the stand on a completely flat hard surface (not carpet) and there is no chance of anyone else going near the instrument. The oboe stand option is far less stable than a proper alto flute stand and is liable to fall over on carpet or it there are people walking around nearby. I used the BG one which separates into two flat pieces.

#4 vron

vron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Member: 898525
  • South Shropshire

Posted 11 September 2020 - 13:16

THANK YOU BOTH . I have now ordered a hercules stand.

#5 ellie_the_little_elephant

ellie_the_little_elephant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Member: 45895
  • Manchester

Posted 12 September 2020 - 19:50

Another vote for the Hercules; it’s a great stand and you can get flute pegs separately so you can put the C flute on one peg (on the end of the “legs”) and the alto on the central peg.