15 replies to this topic

#1 pianoviolinmum

pianoviolinmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Member: 895582

Posted 11 November 2019 - 13:44

I have a new pupil who has very limited access to a piano to practise, and limited English. I think she's around grade 3-4 standard. Her mum has asked me to get her playing again, so we're looking for a book of music she will really enjoy.

I have played L'Orage (Burgmuller), and a beautiful Heller study, and she's starting off with some Walter Carroll.  None of these have delighted her...(I asked for marks out of 10 for how much she likes them, due to limited English - something I also do for silent younger pupils.) These were given 7...  However, playing Pianoworks Duets book 1, Hello Jamaica! (Allan Bullard) she gave it 9...So looking for something upbeat in a similar vein, but solo.

Any ideas?

#2 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19947 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 11 November 2019 - 15:00

How about one of the Martha Mier Jazz, Rags and Blues books? 

Maybe book 2 or 3 for starters.

#3 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 11 November 2019 - 17:31

What about the UpGrade series? 

I recommend this book https://www.abebooks..._-srp1-_-image1

It is around Grade 3/4 level so might work for your pupil. The pieces are fun and interesting too! A nice way for her to practice her skills in between exams during lessons. 

#4 pianoviolinmum

pianoviolinmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Member: 895582

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:21

Thank you so much for your replies. I have Upgrade 2-3 on my shelf, so might test out with her before buying another. Will look for Martha Mier's books as I haven't come across them before.

#5 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:35

Thank you so much for your replies. I have Upgrade 2-3 on my shelf, so might test out with her before buying another. Will look for Martha Mier's books as I haven't come across them before.

Martha Mier's books are very popular with my pupils. 

#6 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1411 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 13 November 2019 - 10:46

Some of the William Gillock books?

Accent on Gillock book 5 perhaps - that usually goes down well, although the last couple of pieces are a little harder.

#7 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 13 November 2019 - 15:20

Some of the William Gillock books?

Accent on Gillock book 5 perhaps - that usually goes down well, although the last couple of pieces are a little harder.

Another vote for Gillock!  It's nice to see my favourite post-Impressionistic composer getting some love.  (Well, I can't honestly say if Gillock or Bolcom is my favourite post-Impressionist composer, but Gillock is much more approachable than Bolcom...)

#8 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 13 November 2019 - 15:34

Or the Gillock/Czerny Book - a huge favourite with my students from Grade 2 upwards ( to about Grade 5). Interesting juxtaposition of works by the 2 contrasting composers as they talk to each other by phone across the centuries and the miles.

Of course, my young students have no prior pre-conception of Czerny being totally boring, and they really enjoy progressing through the studies - which have been carefully chosen to include only the more tuneful and interesting ones :).

#9 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2834 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 13 November 2019 - 20:01

Or the Gillock/Czerny Book - a huge favourite with my students from Garde 2 upwards ( to about Grade 5). Interesting juxtaposition of works by the 2 contrasting composers as they talk to each other by phone across the centuries and the miles.

Of course, my young students have no prior pre-conception of Czerny being totally boring, and they really enjoy progressing through the studies - which have been carefully chosen to include only the more tuneful and interesting ones :).

Another vote for the Gillock/Czerny book!  :)

#10 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1411 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 20:48

I like the book but it is very expensive!

#11 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:12

Or the Gillock/Czerny Book - a huge favourite with my students from Garde 2 upwards ( to about Grade 5). Interesting juxtaposition of works by the 2 contrasting composers as they talk to each other by phone across the centuries and the miles.

Do you have any for beginners? 

#12 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4657 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:37

Why not do your own arrangements? Then you can have exactly what you need. I used to spend ages trawling through my large collection of piano books trying to find the right piece for a pupil. It's quicker to knock out something on Sibelius, and then you can put your arrangements in a file in order of difficulty with an index which says what range of notes are covered with key signatures, rhythms and the new things each piece introduces. .

#13 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2227 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:24

While the cost of the Gillock/Czerny book has certainly increased in recent years, along with all German publisher imports, I still think it's great value - 27 pieces, carefully sequenced in order of difficulty, and which will last between 2-3 years in most cases - for £16 on amazon - roughly the cost of a half-hour lesson(?) There is also a second-hand copy advertised for £3.45.

In any case, I think it's important for Piano Parents to understand that there will be a cost for buying sheet music - I advise that likely amount will be around £40 over the year, and everyone has been happy to accept this.

My students also enjoy the various collections of Barbara Arens pieces  - Piano Misterioso, Small Hands Piano, and the 22 Amazingly Easy Pieces ( not a great title, and they aren't even that easy, but they do sound like real pianistic music).

#14 edgmusic

edgmusic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Member: 77428

Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:26

Have you thought about Chris Norton's Microjazz series?

Many attractive pieces from Grades 1 to 8 with performances on YouTube for demonstrating purposes.

#15 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1411 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 21:52

Also, some of the Mike Cornick books are attractive if they like jazz.