Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3967 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 23 February 2020 - 19:28

A couple whose wedding I'm playing for have asked me to suggest a piece for signing the register, in their words, " maybe a cover, something a little different, fun, joyful, maybe a piece of music that we all know well. "
Any ideas? It doesn't matter if it's set for piano instead of organ.

#2 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 23 February 2020 - 22:16

Playing for a wedding yesterday I gave them "My love is like a red, red rose" :o .  Horribly twee I know but they loved it!   I considered "Voi che sapete" but I don't think anyone would have known it.

#3 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4173 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 23 February 2020 - 23:00

How old are they? A "piece we all know well" will to an extent depend on age.

#4 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3967 posts
  • Cotswolds

Posted 24 February 2020 - 06:46

I don't know their age as I'm only in touch by e mail. Calling it a cover makes me feel they are fairly young. I need to ask them some more questions about music type, I suppose. They're having traditional music for entry and exit.

#5 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4173 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:00

Calling it a cover makes me feel they are fairly young. I need to ask them some more questions about music type.

Not necessarily. I use that term and am not, ahem, in the first flush of youth.

I've been to weddings where there has been music from REM, a string quartet playing Metallica covers, Meatloaf, Mack the Knife (???????) and The Wind Beneath My Wings (from the film Beaches) to name but a few. So I agree asking a few more questions to get a sense of their musical tastes would be a great help to narrow down some choices.

#6 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5210 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 24 February 2020 - 15:22

In my experience I don't think many listen all that carefully in the bustle of register-signing and posing for pics so I'd just use anything you happen to have that sounds vaguely cheerful.
My usual register-signing rep includes things like an organ attangement of The Swan by Saint-Saens; Whiter Shade of Pale from Procul Harem (which I've seen be jeered at on here before but it is an organ piece and basically it's Bach); Clair de Lune; Panis Angelicus, much of which is to be found in books of organ music for weddings.
Often, if something specific from popular culture is requested, it would sound odd played on an organ and they would be better organising it themselves using some device or other (and they usually sound awful).

#7 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3967 posts
  • Cotswolds

Posted 24 February 2020 - 15:44

I agree. I normally play something quiet like Jesu Joy or Ave Maria. I have a vast collection of music, joyful or more peaceful. I have sent them an e mail asking them to be more specific. I wondered about the Babe theme which I've done before. I also had to play the Songs of Praise theme tune. The Sound of Music wedding March is another I've been asked for before.

#8 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20069 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 24 February 2020 - 19:35

Wedding Day at Troldhaugen (played not too loudly perhaps).

#9 Nine and a Half Fingers

Nine and a Half Fingers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Member: 893737

Posted 25 February 2020 - 22:29

I did this once. Mendelssohn's Nocturne from A Midsummer Night's Dream seamlessly (to me anyway!) morphing into Can't help Falling in Love with you a la Elvis at which point I realised most guests were chatting so I just improvised the rest with a mish-mash of hymn tunes and Bach if I remember correctly. Worst thing is the possibility of RECORDING EQUIPMENT :o

#10 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 29 February 2020 - 20:32

Some of The Beatles' music can sound good in a classical setting. Ob-la-di-ob-la-da, When I'm Sixty-Four, And I Love Her, All My Loving etc. Too many to list, but a look at their back catalogue is sure to turn up something.

#11 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 01 March 2020 - 13:05

Signed, Sealed, Delivered?

#12 Clari Nicki1

Clari Nicki1

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3302 posts
  • Member: 7335

Posted 01 March 2020 - 22:42

Signing the register is going to be a thing of the past, I have been reliably informed! It is all going digital.

#13 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5011 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 02 March 2020 - 18:20

Ah the romance of double clicking!