#1 chaia

chaia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Member: 888455

Posted 13 January 2017 - 13:50

some point in the next few months ill be looking at upgrading my violin. Im already checking out possible stores online, researching etc, and am considering shops to visit in reasonable travelling distance by car from M1 J15 Northamptonshire area.

going into London is too much of a faff, as i wont drive into london, and getting instruments on approval and travelling to and from by train is not feasable really

There doesnt seem to be many shops nearby for me to visit. My most local seems to be Caswells, who i have used a few times for other items but havent been overly impressed with, and am not keen on using again.

There's also Hill & Co. in Welwyn which is a bit of a trek, but still do-able by car ok, but cant find much about them online, not a lot on their website, they seem to be quite small?

Turner violins is on the list, which again is a bit of a trek but is reasonably close to my mother in laws so can tie in a visit to her.

Are there any other reputable dealers in the area anyone can recommend?

My budget will be around the £1000 mark

id be willing to travel around an hr away maybe a bit more if its a reputable store with a good selection of instruments in my budget

#2 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17664 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 13 January 2017 - 14:32

Do not forget forumite Elida Violins near Huddersfield, run by an ex pro violinist Liz.......http://elidaviolins.co.uk/ . They are agents for Gliga among others, but Huddersfield will be more than an hours run for you.

#3 chaia

chaia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 14:45

to be honest my current violin is a gliga gems 2 so id like something a bit different for my upgrade.

I'll be keeping the gems as a backup though as i am quite attached to it.

#4 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6731 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 13 January 2017 - 15:18

It's many, many years since I visit Hill's in Welwyn, but from what I remember it is small - from where you are, I certainly wouldn't go for a visit without contacting them first to see what they have in stock in your range (as in how much choice).

[It's not hard to find, but it is in Welwyn village, not Welwyn Garden City.  That works in your favour, since the village pretty much has one road running through it; there is a small public car park south of the shop on the opposite side of the road.  Or at least there was, all that time ago!]

#5 chaia

chaia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 15:23

Ah ok maybe ill bear them in mind but look elsewhere first then, thanks for the info

#6 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17664 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 13 January 2017 - 18:32

to be honest my current violin is a gliga gems 2 so id like something a bit different for my upgrade.

I'll be keeping the gems as a backup though as i am quite attached to it.

They do have some better ones as well.

#7 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6193 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 13 January 2017 - 21:28

Tim Toft's is a big place in Stone in Staffordshire

#8 jim palmer

jim palmer

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1622 posts
  • Member: 28959
  • South London

Posted 13 January 2017 - 23:00

If you search for "violin shops <town>" you get a good selection!

"violin shops northampton" shows up Hill & Co which looks quite good  :rolleyes:

https://hillviolinsh...uk/contact.html

#9 chaia

chaia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 23:33

Ive already discussed hill and co (see above...) And ive already done a google search and there is very limited options near me hence my post...

#10 chaia

chaia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 23:34

Tim Toft's is a big place in Stone in Staffordshire

Ooooh thanks ill take a look

#11 jim palmer

jim palmer

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1622 posts
  • Member: 28959
  • South London

Posted 14 January 2017 - 18:04

Ive already discussed hill and co (see above...) And ive already done a google search and there is very limited options near me hence my post...

Sorry, but Hills look as though they have a good stock, even though a small shop.

How about Newark-

http://www.riverside...olins-350-1000/

:rolleyes:

#12 willobie

willobie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2846 posts
  • Member: 4110
  • Nottinghamshire

Posted 14 January 2017 - 20:04

Sorry, but Hills look as though they have a good stock, even though a small shop.

How about Newark-

http://www.riverside...olins-350-1000/

:rolleyes:

The shop on Castle Gate has closed but I think they are still trading from home.  There are a number of places in the Newark area - mostly single traders with connections to the Violin School...

:) 

#13 Catey

Catey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Member: 71060

Posted 15 January 2017 - 11:55

What about Oxford violins? Many moons ago I bought my violin from them.

#14 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6731 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:03

Actually, jim has a good point!  When I did go to Hill's, it was once for a repair, and once to buy some strings.  Never instrument shopping itself.  The fact that the retail area is small - well, I don't know how much space there is 'out the back' and how much stock they have.  Just because there's not a lot on display...could be lots elsewhere in the building.

Like I said, though, as it is some distance from you, would in any case be worth sending an email or making a phone call to check they had enough of interest to you to be worth the journey.

#15 Minstrel

Minstrel

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1200 posts
  • Member: 9268

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:58

In your price range I send my pupils to Cardiff Violins ( for both violins and violas ) . I live about as close to the middle of England as is possible and closer to some of the places that have been mentioned in earlier posts, however for choice, knowledge, customer service and value for money Cardiff have come up trumps every time .
I appreciate that it's a little bit further than you might have envisaged but rail connections are good and the shop is very centrally located in an interesting old arcade . There is lots to do in Cardiff if you go down for the whole day if you have time left over. Do book an appointment to make sure that there is someone booked and available to help you and that there is a trying out room for you to use ( they can ge quite busy especially at weekends and school holidays ) . There are lots of details on their website - www.cardiffviolins.co.uk .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: recommend, violin, shops