Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts
  • Member: 913
  • Dundee, Scotland

Posted 13 November 2007 - 13:11

I shall be there.

In fact I'm currently busy working on what I'm going to play at next years events! I've certainly never played so many different pieces in front of people so many times as I did last year - it was a struggle to keep up at times but i recon it did pay benefits so I can fully recommend it to anyone!

#17 arthur

arthur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Member: 14954

Posted 13 November 2007 - 14:14

These concerts sound like they're really good fun.

But....... despite 5 years of lessons, and preparing for grade 5 piano next year, I still struggle to play much right through without error or pausing.

Looking at all the wonderful musicians that attended previous concerts, surely this isn't something that I would fit into...... Is it? Playing solo in front of everybody else? ph34r.gif

A

#18 Guest: DaisyChain_*

Guest: DaisyChain_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 13 November 2007 - 15:05

Hey..don't be worrying about your musicianship, Arthur! We are all out to support anybody, whatever their level of playing. Come along and have fun. (Even the most experienced of performers have made mistakes or paused in the events that I've been to).

Looking forward to seeing you there! party1.gif

#19 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 13 November 2007 - 16:36

QUOTE(arthur @ Nov 13 2007, 02:14 PM) View Post

These concerts sound like they're really good fun.

But....... despite 5 years of lessons, and preparing for grade 5 piano next year, I still struggle to play much right through without error or pausing.

Looking at all the wonderful musicians that attended previous concerts, surely this isn't something that I would fit into...... Is it? Playing solo in front of everybody else? ph34r.gif

A

QUOTE(DaisyChain @ Nov 13 2007, 03:05 PM) View Post

Hey..don't be worrying about your musicianship, Arthur! We are all out to support anybody, whatever their level of playing. Come along and have fun. (Even the most experienced of performers have made mistakes or paused in the events that I've been to).

Looking forward to seeing you there! party1.gif

Absolutely.

Both Adult Learner and Forum user concerts are about taking part, enjoying your music and meeting people.
There really is no minimum playing level and everybody is supported and encouraged.
If you aren't sure then why not attend an event as an audience member first. That way you get to meet some people and to hear for yourself that there is a good range of abilities taking part and everyone mixes and plays together in a very friendly way.

#20 Guest: skylark_*

Guest: skylark_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2007 - 19:59

QUOTE(arthur @ Nov 13 2007, 02:14 PM) View Post

I'm only G4 and played a solo at my first forum concert when I was only G2 - I certainly didn't sound very wonderful, and still don't! laugh.gif

But seriously, what sbhoa and DaisyChain have said is true - we do our best but we're there to enjoy ourselves, support each other and have fun smile.gif

QUOTE(sbhoa @ Nov 13 2007, 04:36 PM) View Post

If you aren't sure then why not attend an event as an audience member first.

But when you see everyone else playing, bet you'll wish you were up there too! tongue.gif

#21 arthur

arthur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Member: 14954

Posted 13 November 2007 - 20:48

OK OK, I've put the date in my diary!

You make a convincing case for joining in, and if I did do a solo,
I'd probably not muck it up too much - I hope!

95% of my playing is either with headphones on, or with my teacher.
I do occasionally play for others to hear, but it's a huge step up to a concert before thousands wink.gif

Who I'd really like to hear from, is those who attended their first concert recently, and how it went for them.
How did your bit go?

A

#22 Guest: skylark_*

• Guests

Posted 13 November 2007 - 21:08

QUOTE(arthur @ Nov 13 2007, 08:48 PM) View Post

I do occasionally play for others to hear, but it's a huge step up to a concert before thousands wink.gif

unsure.gif There were about 40 at the last Leeds concert (40 people that is, not 40,000 tongue.gif)

Who I'd really like to hear from, is those who attended their first concert recently, and how it went for them.
How did your bit go?

I'll PM you shortly wink.gif

#23 LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2706 posts
  • Member: 12518

Posted 13 November 2007 - 21:20

I've put the date down in the diary - end of half-term week but hope to make it. smile.gif

I'm counting on you to show me how to get the higher notes on the clarinet - there's only so much you can play by ear with 10 notes! tongue.gif

#24 Guest: skylark_*

• Guests

Posted 13 November 2007 - 21:33

QUOTE(LooneyTunes @ Nov 13 2007, 09:20 PM) View Post

I'm counting on you to show me how to get the higher notes on the clarinet

You might do better asking somebody who doesn't make the higher notes sound like the forum parrot squawking tongue.gif

It'll be great to meet you at Leeds if I don't meet you elsewhere in the meantime biggrin.gif

#25 Rosemary7391

Rosemary7391

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8063 posts
  • Member: 7195
  • Glasgow

Posted 13 November 2007 - 21:36

I'd be more than happy to help you if no more experienced clarrinetists come to help smile.gif And if Dad says yes....

#26 LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2706 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 21:37

QUOTE(skylark @ Nov 13 2007, 09:33 PM) View Post

It'll be great to meet you at Leeds if I don't meet you elsewhere in the meantime biggrin.gif

Anglesey's in the diary as well..... smile.gif

It'll be great to meet you too, Rosemary! Maybe you could teach me to squawk in unison with skylark! tongue.gif (although I'm sure you'll be well past that stage by next year skyers)

#27 Guest: skylark_*

• Guests

Posted 13 November 2007 - 21:41

QUOTE(LooneyTunes @ Nov 13 2007, 09:37 PM) View Post

Anglesey's in the diary as well..... smile.gif

I'm getting really excited about next year's events! biggrin.gif woot.gif

#28 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 13 November 2007 - 22:42

OK OK, I've put the date in my diary!

You make a convincing case for joining in, and if I did do a solo,
I'd probably not muck it up too much - I hope!

95% of my playing is either with headphones on, or with my teacher.

How did your bit go?

A

Don't worry, we don't have an audience of thousands.
Just your fellow performers and a few friends and family.

Here is some feedback from one of the concerts:

"Having played at my first concert yesterday, this is just a message of encouragement for anyone who is interested in coming to a concert but isn’t sure. They really are a very supportive environment in which to play in front of other people for the first time. Yesterday we had rehearsals in the morning which were fun and informal, and performing in the concert itself wasn't half as scary as thinking about it beforehand! Once you see everybody else performing, it just seems natural to go and do it yourself when it's your turn."

For some ideas on how to choose a piece you might like to take a look at the FAQ page on the Stalybridge concert site here.

#29 LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2706 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 22:49

QUOTE(skylark @ Nov 13 2007, 09:33 PM) View Post

You might do better asking somebody who doesn't make the higher notes sound like the forum parrot squawking tongue.gif

sing.gif ...You'll never squawk alone..... sing.gif

#30 Guest: nova_*

Guest: nova_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2007 - 19:56

How did your bit go?

A

Hi Arthur, I played in last year's Leeds concert and to be honest beforehand I felt as if I was anticipating the dentist, but during and after I realised that really, it doesn't matter at all!
It was a very liberating experience on the whole (even though my playing sounded pretty awful) and it was definitely something to get over.
The thing is, the worst that can happen is messing up your piece in public, and if that is actually survivable, you're ok. And you might not mess it up of course...and whatever happens you will have learned something valuable about being a musician. Hope that helps!
N