#16 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3204 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 12 November 2011 - 19:10

Crotchetymum - was said cat looking at you perchance with that air of "lametta? What lametta?" about his good self???

Understanding-Bag x

#17 Crotchetymum

Crotchetymum

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2884 posts
  • Member: 34190

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:24

QUOTE(Bagpuss @ Nov 12 2011, 08:10 PM) View Post

Crotchetymum - was said cat looking at you perchance with that air of "lametta? What lametta?" about his good self???

Understanding-Bag x

Hit-the-nail-on-the-head-Bag laugh.gif

#18 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3204 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 13 November 2011 - 17:34

Been-There-Done-That-Got-The-T Shirt-Bag biggrin.gif biggrin.gif x

#19 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7841 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:13

We had another look at the Simon's cat videos on utube yesterday and even the ones we know off by heart had us rolling about in stitches. I forgot to send my sister a birthday card this year so have ordered her the 2012 Simon's Cat calender as a please-forgive-me gesture.

Cat news about our latest rescue. We have named him Theo. I took a fur ball off him and found a nasty gash in the skin underneath which the vet put two stitches in. There remained another enormous fur ball which I worked on several times but finally realised I wouldn't be able to get it off without help and also there seemed to be a problem underneath - so another trip to the vet this morning. He managed to clear some of the mess but discovered a nasty hole - looks as if Theo has at some point impaled himself on something.He had to stay at the vet's as the rest of the job has to be done under aneasthetic. We collect him this evening.

There isn't, as far as I know a Simon's cat about visiting the vet. Perhaps he should do one - it could be very amusing.

#20 Collyermum

Collyermum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Member: 68406
  • North-east

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:34

QUOTE(Aquarelle @ Nov 14 2011, 10:13 AM) View Post

We had another look at the Simon's cat videos on utube yesterday and even the ones we know off by heart had us rolling about in stitches. I forgot to send my sister a birthday card this year so have ordered her the 2012 Simon's Cat calender as a please-forgive-me gesture.

Cat news about our latest rescue. We have named him Theo. I took a fur ball off him and found a nasty gash in the skin underneath which the vet put two stitches in. There remained another enormous fur ball which I worked on several times but finally realised I wouldn't be able to get it off without help and also there seemed to be a problem underneath - so another trip to the vet this morning. He managed to clear some of the mess but discovered a nasty hole - looks as if Theo has at some point impaled himself on something.He had to stay at the vet's as the rest of the job has to be done under aneasthetic. We collect him this evening.

There isn't, as far as I know a Simon's cat about visiting the vet. Perhaps he should do one - it could be very amusing.

Sorry to hear about Theo, hope he is all mended this evening and you find no more nasty surprises lurking under fur balls...

We have a long history of taking in rescues too, so I know how it can be... good on you!

And a Simon's cat going to the vet would be wonderful, I agree!

Collyermum

#21 bassoonista

bassoonista

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Member: 100709
  • Leeds

Posted 14 November 2011 - 21:09

I too love Simon's Cat. We don't have a cat flap, so that particular one is played out every morning around 5am. The requests to go out get so loud, we now refer to our cat as "Shouty Man"

#22 Chris H

Chris H

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1958 posts
  • Member: 6441
  • Yorkshire

Posted 14 November 2011 - 22:18

I've just watched the "let me in" one. Our cat dangles from the bottom of the window part of the door, then it gradually scrapes down the wooden bit with its claws.

#23 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7841 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:21

QUOTE(Collyermum @ Nov 14 2011, 01:34 PM) View Post

Sorry to hear about Theo, hope he is all mended this evening and you find no more nasty surprises lurking under fur balls...

We have a long history of taking in rescues too, so I know how it can be... good on you!

And a Simon's cat going to the vet would be wonderful, I agree!

Collyermum

Theo is back - sewn up but very unhappy with the plastic collar he has to wear to prevent him ripping open his stitches. I dread to think what Simon's cat would make of that!!

#24 jazzycat

jazzycat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • Member: 58803

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:37

QUOTE(Aquarelle @ Nov 14 2011, 09:13 AM) View Post

Not a video, but a cartoon in Simon's Cat In His Very Own Book.
Simon is trying to entice the cat into his travelling box. A house-trashing struggle ensues, after which the cat is incarcerated and the box door secured. Simon arrives at the vet, puts the box on the table, opens the door, reaches inside...

and pulls out a teddy bear.

Best wishes to Theo smile.gif

#25 Hardying

Hardying

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Member: 63972
  • Trowbridge, Wiltshire, UK

Posted 16 November 2011 - 17:52

QUOTE(jazzycat @ Nov 16 2011, 09:37 AM) View Post

QUOTE(Aquarelle @ Nov 14 2011, 09:13 AM) View Post

Not a video, but a cartoon in Simon's Cat In His Very Own Book.
Simon is trying to entice the cat into his travelling box. A house-trashing struggle ensues, after which the cat is incarcerated and the box door secured. Simon arrives at the vet, puts the box on the table, opens the door, reaches inside...

and pulls out a teddy bear.

Best wishes to Theo smile.gif

I too love Simon's Cat & have enjoyed the calendar this year.

This seems a suitable place to talk about my cat Sibelius.
He had been a stray when we took him in almost 8 years ago, & one consequence was that he had a very healthy appetite, eating enormous amounts, as I suppose he had been hungry as a stray, so took every opportunity to feed. As we had more than one cat, it was tricky to control. Anyhow, it got to the stage where he needed a dental, & the vet felt he was at risk from an anaesthetic, so he had to lose weight. After just over a year he was crowned ?slimmer of the year?. We got called into the vets for a photo shoot & his picture was in the local newspaper. He also had a display at the vets, got awarded a rosette & his prize was a large bag of diet food! He is so much livelier, & the vet reckons losing weight has added 2 years to his life.
He still has to go back every 2 months to have his weight monitored. He is on the diet biscuits for the rest of his life & has to ?work? for his food by batting a ball around so the biscuits fall out of if. My other cat has to be fed on the work surface in the kitchen. Sibelius hasn't worked out that he could jump up there yet.
laugh.gif

#26 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6165 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 16 November 2011 - 23:59

Aw, I always thought we needed a cats thread smile.gif

I've got a former stray who will eat anything in sight but I only have one, so I can ensure she only get fed (well, by me at least) once a day.

I got her a year ago and I'm quite amazed at the transformation from hissing thing that skulks under wardrobes to domesticated housecat.

#27 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7841 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:26

QUOTE(Hardying @ Nov 16 2011, 06:52 PM) View Post

This seems a suitable place to talk about my cat Sibelius.
He had been a stray when we took him in almost 8 years ago, & one consequence was that he had a very healthy appetite, eating enormous amounts, as I suppose he had been hungry as a stray, so took every opportunity to feed. As we had more than one cat, it was tricky to control. Anyhow, it got to the stage where he needed a dental, & the vet felt he was at risk from an anaesthetic, so he had to lose weight. After just over a year he was crowned ?slimmer of the year?. We got called into the vets for a photo shoot & his picture was in the local newspaper. He also had a display at the vets, got awarded a rosette & his prize was a large bag of diet food! He is so much livelier, & the vet reckons losing weight has added 2 years to his life.
He still has to go back every 2 months to have his weight monitored. He is on the diet biscuits for the rest of his life & has to ?work? for his food by batting a ball around so the biscuits fall out of if. My other cat has to be fed on the work surface in the kitchen. Sibelius hasn't worked out that he could jump up there yet.
laugh.gif

I suspect we are going to have the same problem with Theo. He has almost doublde his weight in the couple of weeks we have had him which goes to show how undernourished he was. But I think we are gradually going to have to wean him off food a little as he is definitely now obsessed by it.

He has now managed to take off his protective collar and I don't think there is any point in putting it back on as he will only get it off again. However so far he hasn't bitten out his stitches. He just looks very very smug!!

jazzycat, I aml just going to have to buy that book one day!

#28 jazzycat

jazzycat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • Member: 58803

Posted 17 November 2011 - 16:20

QUOTE(Aquarelle @ Nov 17 2011, 09:26 AM) View Post

jazzycat, I aml just going to have to buy that book one day!

Oh, you must. It was given to me one Christmas by a friend, who also has cats (and the book). Some of the pictures just make me laugh till my eyes water...

The same friend gave me Simon's Cat: Over The Fence last Christmas. I treasure both books!

#29 Hardying

Hardying

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Member: 63972
  • Trowbridge, Wiltshire, UK

Posted 17 November 2011 - 18:48

Great to hear of other strays being given musical homes. Sibelius likes me playing the cello & will come in & listen to the quintet I play with, biggrin.gif but Bess runs a mile. Neither cats like the oboe though! ill.gif

If I dare to have a lie in, Sibelius reminds me that this is not acceptable by knocking over the kitchen bin - suggests his habits from his time as a stray will always be with him. rolleyes.gif

He's not the brightest cat, but obviously a survivor. Bess, on the other hand is very intelligent. If we lie in, she & Sibelius somehow manage to open the kitchen door, and she insists we get up to feed her by walking over our faces - can't be ignored. On one occasion she trod in my husband's ear!! laugh.gif

#30 GMc

GMc

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Member: 322722

Posted 17 November 2011 - 21:33

Anyone who likes cats should really listen to Songs of the Cats by Garrison Keillor and Frederica von Stade! The In and Out one just kills us every time. And Hallelujah I'm a Cat....And all the rest. Perfect present for musical cat lover. My daughter heard the The Cat came Back one of these on the radio when she was nearly 2 and insisted we find the CD which was very hard at that time but easier now. Its still a favourite in the car.