barry-clari the second

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Member: 900824

Posted 10 September 2021 - 21:58

Got married!

It's been the most awful year - 2 x bereavements + husband diagnosed with cancer. (Hence the wedding). We've actually been together forever but never done the formal stuff.
Ridiculously, bizarrely happy.

Oh that’s beautiful news. Congratulations! :) :)

#23057 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15174 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 10 September 2021 - 22:30

Awww, iona!   You kept that quiet!!!

Huge congrats to you both :wub:.

Celebrate on a boat  ;) !

:wub:

#23058 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15174 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 10 September 2021 - 22:31

Just listened/watched to a wonderful performance of Bach's   St Matthew Passion from the Royal Albert Hall. Very moving and spiritual.  I sang in a performance in mid 1970's  but its not performed so often these days

One of my Phoenix students was one of the cellists :).

:wub:

#23059 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 11 September 2021 - 06:36

Got married!

It's been the most awful year - 2 x bereavements + husband diagnosed with cancer. (Hence the wedding). We've actually been together forever but never done the formal stuff.

Ridiculously, bizarrely happy.

Iona - That's wonderful news. Very many congratulations and enjoy the happiness!

#23060 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2191 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 11 September 2021 - 07:39

Just listened/watched to a wonderful performance of Bach's   St Matthew Passion from the Royal Albert Hall. Very moving and spiritual. 

I agree, I thought it was a first-rate performance with a galaxy of star soloists, especially Stuart Jackson as the Evangelist and, of course, the beautiful counter-tenor of Iestyn Davies. Infinitely better than the ghastly Matthew Passion of Simon Rattle, back in 2014, which I think was the last time the work was heard at the proms.

I was disappointed to read a very luke-warm review of last night's prom by Richard Morrison in The Times this morning - he thought it was a "competent" but "over-polite reading", that missed out on "the work's monumental theatrical aspect". I disagree!

There was some moments of poor camera work and the on-screen translation sometimes got out of sync (and had to go back at one point), but the music was just great - just a few untidy phrase endings from the choir. But the occasional loud noises from the audience (balloons bursting? sounds like benches falling over etc) always annoys me at prom concerts. The acoustics of the Royal Albert Hall somehow seems to amplify them.

#23061 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4569 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 11 September 2021 - 07:43

In the same way when a TV critic recommends a programme, I'm much more likely to think it's awful than not. Personal taste.

#23062 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 11 September 2021 - 08:20

No more doors to paint! :lol:

#23063 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London SE5

Posted 11 September 2021 - 09:01

I recorded Tristan and Isolde. I'd have recorded St Matthew if I'd known it was on. I've never been an avid proms follower.

#23064 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2191 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 10:26

I recorded Tristan and Isolde. I'd have recorded St Matthew if I'd known it was on. I've never been an avid proms follower.

All the televised proms are available on iPlayer (which is free on the BBC website if you don't already have it).

#23065 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London SE5

Posted 11 September 2021 - 11:02

Until the lockdown last year I was on limited bandwidth, but I guess BT have made unlimited compulsory for everyone since then, so I suppose I could have a look.

#23066 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7155 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 11 September 2021 - 18:36

I've sung both the St. John and St. Matthew with period instrument orchestras. Personally, as a choral singer I prefer the St. John. 

Accidental chef today... Nephew is staying over and plan was to order in a Chinese before heading to pub. When I rang up they said an hour and a half wait... So Plan B was initiated. I made a baked pasta dish. I'd already made a blackberry fool yesterday, so it all went OK.

#23067 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2191 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 08:57

Wonderful to hear (and see) Benjamin Britten's arrangement of the National Anthem at the end of the last night of the Proms. I sang in its first performance at the opening of the Maltings (that'll date me!). I remember the Queen was reported as saying it was the best version she's ever heard (and she must have heard quite a few!).

I just love the contrast between the very quiet and dark first verse in the low key of Eb, and the ff second verse in Bb major with all the brass fanfares and cymbal clashes. As the music winched up a perfect 5th with an enormous crescendo, Sakari Oramo got the BBC SO to stand as they played, to spectacular effect!

#23068 barry-clari the second

barry-clari the second

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Member: 900824

Posted 12 September 2021 - 13:14

Wonderful to hear (and see) Benjamin Britten's arrangement of the National Anthem at the end of the last night of the Proms. I sang in its first performance at the opening of the Maltings (that'll date me!). I remember the Queen was reported as saying it was the best version she's ever heard (and she must have heard quite a few!).
I just love the contrast between the very quiet and dark first verse in the low key of Eb, and the ff second verse in Bb major with all the brass fanfares and cymbal clashes. As the music winched up a perfect 5th with an enormous crescendo, Sakari Oramo got the BBC SO to stand as they played, to spectacular effect!

I’ll have to go back to have a listen on iPlayer. I’m afraid I’ve probably got myself a second ban from the forum for such sacrilege, but I decided to watch Emma Raducanu instead of the Last Night of the Proms :lol:

#23069 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2429 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 12 September 2021 - 14:13

My Happy was finding that the end of the musical part of the Proms and the beginning of the Sea Shanties etc etc coincided almost exactly with Raducanu and Fernandez's arrival on court  :)  :D That was a perfectly-timed evening's viewing  :lol:

#23070 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4569 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 12 September 2021 - 14:16

Just got back from playing for the wedding of an ex pupil. It was lovely, not at all showy and just what you’d expect from her character.