Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22958 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 29 August 2007 - 21:16

QUOTE(boogiecat @ Aug 29 2007, 09:44 PM) View Post

"No, I don't want to know how to remember what largo means as a musical instruction..... I want to know what it means as part of a street name in Italy."

I was replying to the original post.

Largo as part of a street name means highway or byway - nothing to do with how I would recognise it for music. This is the case with a lot of Italian terms I think - they don't really mean what they do in the musical sense.

Thank you.

#17 pianoboe

pianoboe

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1356 posts
  • Member: 9616
  • Nr Leeds, UK

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:02

It's very simple but it works for me. I divide the words into colour groups on the list. Learn the words in each group separately by think about links with language. The whole picture thing just doesn't work for me. I go on a very long car journey somewhere laugh.gif and learn the lot. Once I dictated the words and learnt them on a tape recordin before I slept each night. I think it worked. Keep going over the groups. I like colour. Hee hee blush.gif ph34r.gif

#18 Skintchick

Skintchick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Member: 8475

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:51

Oh. I just learn them, mostly. Some I use associations for, like pesante is big fat peasants, but mainly I simply learn them like I would a language.

sorry, that's not much help!

I do like the idea of a poem though. And for lots of other things I use memonics (sp?) like Fat Cats Go Down Alleys Eating Birds, or just find pattersn in things like 5,4,3 for counting five up to find the sharp major key sigs, four for flats, and three semis for relative minors. These probably make mroe sense to me than anyone else!

laugh.gif

#19 LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2706 posts
  • Member: 12518

Posted 08 November 2007 - 18:58

I find the Italian and French terms relatively straightforward as I did Latin and French at school. German terms on the other hand......despite the fact that I re-read the list in the car before going into the exam, I lost 5 marks for not being able to recall them in the exam.

#20 Guest: skylark_*

Guest: skylark_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 08 November 2007 - 19:40

I've been trying to think of game that we could all play on the forum to help learn theory terms tongue.gif I'm not very good at thinking of games though, I've only got as far as thinking we could maybe use our signatures in some way...? For instance those who want to play keep changing their signatures to ask a "theory terms" question, and the first person to notice it posts a reply in a thread which we would start. The questioner then has to change their signature again. Any thoughts anyone? rolleyes.gif wink.gif

#21 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6390 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 10 November 2007 - 17:46

My children used to get muddled between Allegro and Allegretto - until one of them pointed out that Allegretto takes "longer to say and longer to play". It's usually possible to think of some kind of association that will help them to stick.

#22 Guest: Miss Ross_*

Guest: Miss Ross_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2007 - 18:38

QUOTE(skylark @ Nov 8 2007, 07:40 PM) View Post
I've been trying to think of a game...Any thoughts anyone? rolleyes.gif wink.gif
Having done something similar previously wink.gif...I'd say it sounds good smile.gif.

#23 x_Pengy_x

x_Pengy_x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Member: 19264

Posted 10 November 2007 - 22:09

QUOTE(fiddle_freak @ Aug 29 2007, 06:23 PM) View Post

My non musical friends get annoyed because i start using the terms in everyday life whenever I can, tis v. funny

like oh no the computers running at lento speed!!!

Aha thats exactly what I do!!
And I was even worse than normal at college on wed coz of the theory exam being that night.

Plus with me being in a band, whenever I see a word on my music I make sure I know what it means, and if I dont I write it on a poster I have by my bed..

It doesnt take me long tbh

I learnt all of the words that I needed for the g5 exam the week before with ALOT of heavy revision.

well.. apart from the only beeping ones I actually needed to know of course.

#24 eldatom

eldatom

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2544 posts
  • Member: 17801

Posted 11 November 2007 - 14:20

QUOTE(skylark @ Nov 8 2007, 07:40 PM) View Post

I've been trying to think of game that we could all play on the forum to help learn theory terms tongue.gif I'm not very good at thinking of games though, I've only got as far as thinking we could maybe use our signatures in some way...? For instance those who want to play keep changing their signatures to ask a "theory terms" question, and the first person to notice it posts a reply in a thread which we would start. The questioner then has to change their signature again. Any thoughts anyone? rolleyes.gif wink.gif

Sounds like a great idea to me Skylark, I am up for anything that helps me to remember things.

Tricia

#25 Guest: skylark_*

• Guests

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:54

I've started a new game called the Forum Parrot, it's in the Games Forum party1.gif

#26 ivanmus29

ivanmus29

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Member: 19540

Posted 12 November 2007 - 13:32

Learning terms/signs and their meanings:

A 'mechanical' method of learning could be:
Step1: Divide the number of terms for the grade by the number of days during which you would want to learn them...say 30 terms in 15 days; this would mean learn 2 terms a day.
Step2: If, then you have decided to learn 2 terms daily, then, select terms that are related e.g. Adagio and Lento; Largo & Larghetto; crescendo & decresc/dim.; M.D. and M.S.; Up bow and Down bow etc.
Step3: Stick to your schedule....commitment to your goal.

A 'musical' method would be to always get into the habit of exploring the pieces that you are studying or sight reading; make certain to enquire into the meaning of terms, signs and ornaments IN your music. This would be a practical approach to learning music theory; you actually then, integrate theory and practice...and then, theory does not get compartmentalized!

Never keep terms for study on the days prior to your music exam or worse...the night before your exam!!!

#27 Guest: skylark_*

• Guests

Posted 12 November 2007 - 13:57

I like these ideas, ivanmus29, especially learning *related* terms and the musical method. Thanks, and welcome to the forums by the way!

QUOTE(ivanmus29 @ Nov 12 2007, 01:32 PM) View Post

Step1: Divide the number of terms for the grade by the number of days during which you would want to learn them...say 30 terms in 15 days; this would mean learn 2 terms a day.

I would just add to this that anyone taking a theory exam needs to know the terms from previous grades as well. In my G4 exam just taken, they asked for THREE terms and none of them were from the G4 list - that would have been 6 marks lost for anyone who didn't know the earlier terms ohmy.gif

#28 LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2706 posts
  • Member: 12518

Posted 12 November 2007 - 14:54

I like the idea of a game, skylark! biggrin.gif Might help to make things stick..... ph34r.gif

#29 ivanmus29

ivanmus29

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Member: 19540

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:35

Thanks Skylark, for welcoming me to the Forum. I often participate during my vacations. Its a lovely place to share ideas and views and help each other.

#30 Tortellini

Tortellini

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1307 posts
  • Member: 8579
  • Italy

Posted 13 November 2007 - 23:24

I married an Italian and that has helped me with most of the terms. Now I just have to find someone for the German and French wink.gif

Not quite (but almost) related.... Does anybody know the meaning of Largo as part of a street name in Italy?

Largo is normally used for a square or open space rather than a road - it means "wide".