#1 Nine and a Half Fingers

Nine and a Half Fingers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Member: 893737

Posted 23 November 2021 - 10:37

The first movement (Allegro) is my favourite non-Bach piece of organ music. I seem to have lost my original CD recording of this movement (on an organ "Greatest Hits" thing) and I've yet to find a version I'm happy with. I don't know if it is the dynamic range, the registrations, the acoustics or whatever but I feel most recordings are losing some "edge" in the quieter sections and can be almost inaudible. Crank up the volume and the louder sections will make the speakers explode.

Any admirers of this music here? Can anybody recommend a recording?

#2 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20583 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 23 November 2021 - 14:42

Yes - it is a great piece. I don’t have a recording of it to hand (and any I do have would probably have been superceded by more recent recordings).  Maybe someone else has a favourite.  

I have just listened to one offering on youtube, and indeed the quieter sections did practically disappear (although it wasn’t a fair trial as my OH was using a drill in the basement for some of the time). 

I am also very fond of the first movement of symphony no 5, which I got to know in my teens as an antidote to the  erm  better known finale.