Photo

Exam packs - do they include piano accompaniments?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Yet another muso

Yet another muso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Member: 103420

Posted 23 November 2021 - 00:35

For their last syllabus, ABRSM started rather unhelpfully publishing books of exam pieces that didn't include the piano accompaniments. I know it gives people the choice of spending a few pounds less, then borrowing their teachers accompaniments, but far too often has led to parents buying the book without accompaniments by accident, as it doesn't cross their mind that they would need it. As an exam accompanist, it far too often leads to situations where people don't own their own accompaniments, fail to borrow it from their teachers, or just assume that as an accompanist I will just own a copy of everything! I am also one of those old fashioned teachers who likes to encourage pupils to look at the piano part themselves, to read what is going on there. For the sake of a few quid, I simply wish that the option wasn't there to buy the pieces without piano parts!

So, now we have a new syllabus starting (for flute at least) and I am confused as to what books to tell students to buy online. I have found exam packs including things like sight-reading, as well as just books of the pieces. They all state useful things like audio downloads and backing tracks, but none state clearly whether or not they include the book of piano accompaniments. One link to the exam pack described the book as 'solo flute' which I found concerning. Oh for the days of having a local music shop to go to, to see what we are buying!

Can anyone direct me to a link for a grade 2 flute book to send to a student to buy that definitely includes the piano accompaniments? She wants to do a performance grade, so it doesn't need to be the exam pack - we only need the pieces, but the sight reading resources would still be useful to her if that is the one to get that includes piano parts. 

#2 barry-clari the second

barry-clari the second

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Member: 900824

Posted 23 November 2021 - 07:58

The ‘exam packs’ all contain accompaniments - indeed all ABRSM grade anthologies do now - the ‘part only’ versions have been axed.

#3 Hildegard

Hildegard

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2245 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 23 November 2021 - 09:46

https://shop.abrsm.o...hop/ucat/102118 confirms that both the exam packs and the exam pieces include accompaniments. The latter are a little cheaper but do not include sight reading.

#4 Yet another muso

Yet another muso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Member: 103420

Posted 23 November 2021 - 19:19

Thanks both, so pleased they have stopped selling the book without the accompaniments. I guess I wasn't the only person who wasn't happy!