#1 elemimele

elemimele

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2121 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 20 November 2021 - 12:31

Is this some sort of zither? I rather wish more people played this thing!

Georg Friedrich Händel - Chaconne HWV 448 (Keyboard Works I, Miscellaneous Suites) - YouTube

#2 Arundodonuts

Arundodonuts

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6335 posts
  • Member: 30881
  • Stockport

Posted 20 November 2021 - 12:37

Here you go.

https://en.wikipedia...el_(instrument)

I haven't seen one of these before but I have come across the Finnish kantele which appears to be the same thing.

#3 elemimele

elemimele

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2121 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 14:49

Well I'm jolly glad it's making a resurgence, and the world owes the Estonians for producing it. It's lovely!

#4 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1033 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 20 November 2021 - 15:13

That's really beautiful.

I'm intrigued, the way of playing the instrument doesn't look very ergonomical. I wonder if long term players develop any issues as a result.

#5 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15219 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 20 November 2021 - 23:44

Kodály's Vainemoinen Makes Music mentions the kantele :)

#6 elemimele

elemimele

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2121 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 10:18

what a gorgeous piece of music, it must be so, so much fun to sing. I found two recordings, the first on piano and the second might have been something like this; it didn't sound quite like a harp (no video) but it was exactly right whatever it was. Thank you for that!

#7 elemimele

elemimele

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2121 posts

Posted 21 November 2021 - 22:22

So, so far as I can make out, the Estonians have had small Kannels since all eternity, usually with just a handful of strings, and used for very beautiful folk-music, for which they are far more versatile than the small number of strings would suggest. But in the 1950s Estonians wanted to play chromatic "serious" music too, and experimented with larger chromatic Kannels, this being the result, and now taught in Estonian music academies. I think it's strung so that the white-key notes are raised on the right, and the black-key notes raised on the left, crossing in the middle, so it's easier for the player to find the right string. Heaven is where the Estonians got to redesign the harps...

#8 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20583 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 22 November 2021 - 08:08

Have to admit I got totally sidelined while searching for the Kodaly piece yesterday. 

Youtube In its wisdom decided I needed to listen to this ….. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=TSStTxoDbko

(note to self - follow up the original search today!) 

#9 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7216 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 22 November 2021 - 08:28

Yes, I always think Stanford and Parry a cappella music is a similar style, especially the 8 part stuff

#10 elemimele

elemimele

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2121 posts

Posted 22 November 2021 - 15:56

Rheinberger and Voces8, a combination that was pretty much guaranteed to be gorgeous. They've changed a soprano too, but the lady they've brought in has sung with Elam Rotem I think, and that's a big recommendation in itself. With Voces8, I never know whose voice is my favourite; I decide it's the American tenor, and then their lady alto does something lovely, and then I hear the other tenor, and then the basses do their stuff, and of course the counter-tenor who's the boss has a stupendously moving voice too. I suppose it's just a good thing the lot of them sing together so I don't have to make up my mind.

That's also what I love about YouTube. It's the musical equivalent of looking something up in an old-fashioned dictionary (where half an hour later you're busy reading about the etymology of a word that has nothing whatsoever to do with the original spelling for which you were hunting).

#11 Edwardo

Edwardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 869 posts
  • Member: 4759
  • Gloucestershire

Posted 23 November 2021 - 13:16

Is this some sort of zither? I rather wish more people played this thing!

Georg Friedrich Händel - Chaconne HWV 448 (Keyboard Works I, Miscellaneous Suites) - YouTube

That is really lovely, thank you.