Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3198 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 29 September 2019 - 17:38

Greetings, forumites

I've had a slightly strange enquiry about flute tuition.  It checks out on many levels but it's a bit, well, odd.

Anyone willing to have a gander please PM me and I'll forward it for perusal.

My lock keeping contract ends tomorrow so one is certainly up for a little ad hoc work but this.....mmm...

Anyway, thanks in advance if you're up to give me an opinion....

Baggles x

#2 Dorcas

Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Member: 887843
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 29 September 2019 - 18:03

Bagpuss, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, but smells like a fish  . . . 

Lock keeping?  Sounds intriguing.   :cool:

#3 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4046 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 29 September 2019 - 19:50

Happy to take a look.

#4 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 29 September 2019 - 20:34

Send it over Bags. I will disect it and also run it across my partner who reckons they are the internet police ;)

#5 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3781 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 29 September 2019 - 21:47

Happy to take a look as well. That said my employer once sent out a phishing email test and I only managed to identify 6/8 emails as either genuine or a phishing attempt. I am very tech savvy and thought I knew all the tricks people get up to in dodgy emails.

#6 jpiano

jpiano

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2187 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 29 September 2019 - 22:52

Happy to take a peek

#7 Dorcas

Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Member: 887843
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 30 September 2019 - 05:55

Dorcas's tips to avoid possible email scams-

1. Be suspicious of oddly worded emails, offering too much explanation.
  2. It is unusual to be offered large amounts of work, without meeting or being vetted first.
  3. When someone offers you money up front, be wary of handing over your bank details.  If there are insufficient funds in the sender's account, the money will appear in your account, then be debited by the close of business.   You can then be threatened about lesson cancellation and repayment.  Alternatively, it is money laundering.  Proving you didn't know can be problematic.
  4. Ask yourself, why someone is willing to travel a long distance for a lesson with you, when there are likely to be other teachers closer to their home?  Also be wary of the international business person, who is abroad, and unable to meet you to arrange tuition for their offspring.  Usually they should have a relative or nanny who can meet you first.

This is basically, from my own experience over the years, and has little to do with Bagpuss's email.  Just thought I would share.

#8 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 30 September 2019 - 20:07

Bag, I tried to pm you earlier but for some reason it isn't going through on my phone.

I don't want to give too much away here, but my verdict is caution. Someone who appears to be writing in English as a second language but who has a very "English" sounding name rings alarm bells.

As do requests for long lessons - so that they would be making a large outlay presumably.

I hope you don't mind me replying here but hope I have been suitably vague!

#9 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3198 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 01 October 2019 - 08:08

Hey - thanks to everyone's input on this.
I'm pretty certain it IS a scam but quite a clever one.
Thanks again, guys.
Bag xx

#10 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted 05 October 2019 - 06:00

In our latest consumer magazine, a tip to check if the e-mail address of the sender is what it pretends to be. Here, we get mails which look as if they come from our bank, "click here to see your latest statement" which in reality lets a virus in.
If one clicks on the email address of the sender, it may turn out to be something quite different, which gives the game away.
Not relevant for Bagpuss but worth checking.
Maybe our computer savvy members can explain it better than Granny!

#11 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1098 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:47

you can always tell fake emails.  I know this is completely different but I had a scam email from the tv license company telling me my license was up for renewal and to click on a link and pay up.    I ignored it because  I pay by direct debit and they usually write to me not email me

#12 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted 05 October 2019 - 08:28

you can always tell fake emails. 

Wishful thinking?  I have the feeling that plenty of people fall into the trap. Otherwise the folk who send them would have given up long ago.

I agree that some 'tricks' are pretty obvious - a mail in poor English, or, as in your case,using  an unusual method of contact. But almost all my normal transactions with my English bank are done through the internet. The officials are clearly concerned that their clients do not open mails, or click on links in correspondence which supposedly come from them but are in reality efforts to obtain details of their account. They repeatedly emphasize that they will never contact their clients asking for details of their codes for example. The wording can sometimes be very convincing for someone who doesn't have a suspicious mind, respects authority and maybe doesn't move in circles where folk chat about computers and their pitfalls.

It is not unknown for IT guys, who really should know better, to open something and click on a link and allow a worm into the computers in the IT firm they work for!

#13 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3709 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:18

I had an e mail that seemed to come from my sister with her e mail address. I've had ones before from friends that say they're in some foreign country and desperately need money for an operation or something. These are fairly obvious scans. But this one had a document attached and as we were dealing with financial affairs for my mother, I assumed it was genuine and tried to open the attachment. It asked for my password and stupidly I gave it. It then became obvious it wasn't genuine and I quickly changed my account password. However not long after I had money taken from my bank account which fortunately I noticed and stopped my card, but I wonder if there was a connection. It is easy to be taken in by a scam e mai!.

#14 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:42

I've been contacted by people who've hacked friend's phones/email/facebook and so it does actually come from them! One of them would have been very convincing, except they asked to meet as they hadn't seen me for a while, when we'd met the previous day.

#15 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6156 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:37

I won't register for voice activated telephone banking because it seems obvious that my voice can be quite easily recorded.