Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1542 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 03 July 2021 - 13:56

Again, re-resurrecting this thread instead of starting a new one.

Does anyone have alternative fingerings for Bbm and Ebm scales (harmonic)?  The melodic flavours are fine, but the weird/awkward (to me) LH fingerings for the F–Gb–A–Bb and Cb–D–Eb scale steps respectively in the harmonic versions cause a lot of rotation in my wrist and my elbow to suddenly stick out, particularly when descending.

Also, does anyone else find their scales improve when the mind wanders compared to concentrating?

On the subject of fingering, how do you play the early Hanon exercises in different keys as very quickly simply translating the fingering from C major ends up very awkward?

#17 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 04 July 2021 - 13:36

With regards to the Hanon , I think that is the whole point! If you play them in different keys but with the original fingering you get a really good workout which leads to dramatic improvement quite quickly - or so I have found.

#18 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1542 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 04 July 2021 - 16:48

With regards to the Hanon , I think that is the whole point! If you play them in different keys but with the original fingering you get a really good workout which leads to dramatic improvement quite quickly - or so I have found.

OK.  Just you end up playing with thumbs on black keys quite often.  If that's the idea fair enough – there are plenty of pieces that necessitate this.  Thanks!