old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Member: 889252

Posted 03 April 2020 - 13:05

> I hope you're all coping well!

Thank you - likewise everyone else.  I'm helping myself to cope with treats :)  Received an email this morning from Aeolus advertising new CD of Samartini recorder music, listened to the sample (here if anyone else wants to look at it: https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be), and bought it.  Must help to keep the wheels of something turning.  A new hollow stick with holes in might be a bit of fun too...

#4007 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1536 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 03 April 2020 - 13:39

Zixi, you're going to have to explain the door, and also how you get out when it fails.

Dividing my time here; trying to work from home and keep kid working from home, but it is nice to be able to do some practice too. I'm realising I'm going to have to be a bit more efficient as I'm dividing my time between flute and recorder, which means less time for each (and the occasional moments of perplexity, realising I've picked up the flute end-on or the recorder sideways, both being brownish plastic items with creamy trim).

#4008 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Member: 900040

Posted 03 April 2020 - 14:00

It's always nice to hear what everyone is up to.
I'm working from home, which is no hardship. I'd thought I'd have lots more time when not commuting, but nope. Somehow it's very similar to how much (how little) time I have in normal times. Odd.

#4009 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 04 April 2020 - 09:16

LoneM: you would need to install git first....

Many thanks for these instructions - I haven't yet had the time (or the courage!) to try them but will do so in the next few days.

#4010 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 04 April 2020 - 13:40

Good! I'm glad that everyone is coping!

OaG - a new hollow thing with holes always lifts the spirits... It's nearly Easter. You deserve a present!

elemimele - I should think your sense of humour has been coming to the rescue! It doesn't sound easy.

Re my door - The house was owned by an elderly lady before it was bought 10 years ago by the person we bought from. She had arthritis I think - and had the door catches replaced with those pull ones which sadly don't always. My door sticks so if I'm outside I can put my shoulder to it. But inside I have to tug it. My husband is slightly deaf so I'm assuming he doesn't hear my plaintive pleas for help... :P 

AdLibitum - I think you are defining one of the attributes of time - that it fits exactly what needs to be done and never leaves space for things that you want to do...

LoneM - you're a lot more sensible than I am. :lol: :lol: :lol: But the last time I had a row with Windows 10 I installed Linux and we get on pretty well...

I hope everyone is finding time to augment her/his relationship with the recorder of their choice! :) Take care all!

#4011 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1536 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 19:17

When I was a student, one of my friends came home to his room one day to find his door had been re-hinged at the top, so it opened like a cat-flap. That was challenging...

Yes, lovely to get some recorder-time, it's always been good for my sanity.

#4012 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 12:29

OaG - a new hollow thing with holes always lifts the spirits... It's nearly Easter. You deserve a present!

It was my birthday the week before last and of course everything got cancelled: no restaurant meal out, and my present was going to a music event that has been cancelled.  So, a stick with holes in seems only fair!

#4013 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 15:00

Do you have any specific stick with holes in mind?

#4014 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 05 April 2020 - 21:15

@ elemimele - :lol: :lol: :lol:

@OaG - Fair? You're being more than reasonable. That needs a treat to make up for the cancelled treat and another treat because of the disappointment of not having your present at the correct time! :lol:

Seconded!

#4015 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 11:03

Strange as it may seem given past posts on this topic, the specific stick I have in mind is a Moeck Renaissance one.  As I said, I owned one in the past and I liked it, but I sold it because I wanted to try some other things as well.  I bought it (the previous one) 2nd hand reasonably inexpensively, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted as it was the baroque fingering model (and it was a bit old and scruffy, I never intended to keep it long term).  So, I'm going for broke and trying the renaissance fingering tenor.  After all, I have a baroque recorder I can play pieces that have baroque-style high notes on.  However, it's not a standard stock item so not sure if/when I might actually get it.

I will probably sell something I already have to make way for it.  I've got a few plastic recorders and my home-made one, but only 2 (bought) wooden instruments.  I just like to try things out properly, which for me means playing them in and then getting used to them for a while.

Incidentally, if you are still interested in the same model in G, there is a 2nd hand one here: https://recordersfor...e-alto-g-moeck/

#4016 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 14:42

Ooh, I'm looking forward to hearing your experiences with the new tenor, whenever you manage to get hold of it.

Thanks for posting the link, it's seriously tempting. I'm no longer sure (sigh) I want the G alto - I'd have to transpose all the stuff I now have for an F alto. Hmm. Thoughts, anyone?

I take it the website is legit? I don't think I've come across it before.

#4017 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1536 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 20:20

a voice-flute would make sense for me, but hey, who cares what key I play in?

#4018 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 20:21

I'd have to transpose all the stuff I now have for an F alto. Hmm. Thoughts, anyone?

Unsurprisingly :) - you could try the Audiveris software!  I think with a bit more work in terms of learning how to use the software better, it could make transposing really quick and easy.  I tried it this morning with my copy of The Division Flute, which is for alto.  I scanned a page to pdf and imported that into Audiveris and hit the go button.  It's a pleasure to watch: you see the pdf on screen and the software goes over it and superimposes (in green) all the things it finds: clefs, bar lines, notes etc.  It doesn't take long and when it's finished you can see how accurate it has been.  I'd guess it was about 90% correct.  There was one bar that cropped up here and there and it got it wrong every time for some reason, most of the rest was fine.  So, almost done about 5 mins after taking the book off the shelf.  That brought me to the point where I need to be more familiar with the software: you can click on things it's missed and I believe you can fix them manually which should be quick and easy, but I don't know how to do it.  I exported it to xml and imported that into LilyPond and fixed it there, but it was much slower because it wasn't so easy to see what the errors were.    I'll have another go at it tomorrow. 

I presume there is virtually nothing scored for a G instrument so I suppose you are almost always going to have to either transpose or, for solo works, just play it with C or F fingerings.

I take it the website is legit? I don't think I've come across it before.

I have never used it, sorry.  I have been aware of it for a while, though that doesn't mean a great deal.

#4019 AdLibitum

AdLibitum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 07:24

Thanks, OaG, that's really useful. Audiveris sounds great, whether or not I buy a G instrument.

I've been thinking about that G recorder, and I'm now considering holding off a purchase and then going for a handmade Ganassi in autumn, when I can hopefully try a few at events. MMitD will have instrument makers and hopefully the Early Music Festival in Greenwich will take place.

#4020 old_and_grumpy

old_and_grumpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 08:51

a handmade Ganassi in autumn

If you haven't seen it already, Philippe Bolton's website has lots of excellent information about recorders in general.  There's a page on ganassi recorders here: http://www.flute-a-b...-sam-135gb.html and one about bore evolution more generally here: http://www.flute-a-b...ionpercegb.html