#1 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1592 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 02 September 2020 - 07:51

I hope nobody will mind me pointing out that my old friend Graham Barber has recently recorded a recital of mainly unusual works on the magnificent four-manual Schulze organ in Armley Parish Church, now available on youtube. https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

#2 elemimele

elemimele

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1772 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 04 September 2020 - 16:47

Thank you for this! He's playing music that isn't really my era, but I found it fascinating: GA Audsley was my introduction into how organs are built, and he greatly admired Schulze, and particularly his command of wooden pipework. I know Audsley has fallen rather out of favour, being very much rooted in his period, but he's the only person ever to have written a book on organ building from which a craftsman unaquainted with organs could actually build a functional organ. No one else who's written such a book is/was capable of drawing, and most can't measure either. But drawings are only a tiny part of the story; it's good to hear the sounds, the musical tastes of the time, and how better to do that than this selection of appropriate pieces? Thanks!

#3 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8462 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 01 October 2020 - 19:22

Have been a bit late finding this but very much enjoyed it. Thank you Hildegarde.