Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3755 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 24 June 2016 - 05:59

I assumed Mel was referring to the adjectives used to describe those who voted to leave.

#19 lubylu

lubylu

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1285 posts
  • Member: 522569
  • Dorset

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:16

I used the adjective "simplistic" to describe the view held by my parents, not my parents themselves. There is a difference.

This morning I feel extremely concerned for the future of our country, particularly the NHS which is heavily dependent on staff from other EU countries. When I go to work this morning, I will make sure that my Spanish, Italian, Portugese, Polish and Romanian colleagues know that they remain welcome and we value them and the work they do for our NHS.

#20 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7849 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:25

And when I go to work  later today  alongside my French colleagues it will be with very red eyes as I have done nothing but weep since I turned on the television ar 5am and learnt how unutterably foolish a very  small majority of British people have been. We are going to pay very dearly indeed. I am angry - I am rarely angry but this morning I am very angry indeed. The angry part of me says I hope Britain gets everything it deserves for its inward looking attitude. When the sadness prevails I am unuterrably depressed to think of those consequences.

Those of us who live outside the UK are probably more informed and more aware of what those consequences will be.

#21 PianoMike

PianoMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Member: 894703
  • East Riding of Yorkshire

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:29

Aquarelle - the winners of elections aren't small minorities. That's a contradiction in terms.

#22 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6732 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:35

Aquarelle said a small majority (as in, the 4% by which they won) -  which is the bit that is concerning to me.  When you think about certain politicians, they go 'Oh look, I won, I can do what I like now' and they don't make concessions to those who voted the other way.  Given that in this case thats 48% of voters, that's an awful lot of people to ignore.

600 votes was the different in my area: 50.4% to 49.6%.  You begin to understand why unions, boards, etc often have a 2/3rds majority required to change statutes, etc.

#23 PianoMike

PianoMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Member: 894703
  • East Riding of Yorkshire

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:42

Sorry Aquarelle, I didn't read that properly.

#24 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3755 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:46

My husband and son voted out. As farmers they are fed up of the rulings from Europe. And my husband hates that we are under the legislation of European courts.

#25 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1386 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:50

Well, I used the term daft to refer to Cameron's actions in setting in motion a vote and not enabling a very large number of people who would be likely to support him on this issue to participate.
Nothing to do with being judgemental about one side or the other. People should be careful about judging others as censorious.I thought the tone of replies to the topic was respectful to both views

#26 JudithJ

JudithJ

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1511 posts
  • Member: 3307

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:55

Out - because I've wanted out for the last 30 years.

We don't have any power within the EU.  We've tried and found it impossible reform it from within, so we need to get out.

I hope that we will be able to find compassionate ways to treat those from the EU who live currently here, and that we will continue to be be compassionate to refugees - or preferably even more compassionate.

#27 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4944 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 24 June 2016 - 06:56

Yes, I was referring to the terms used in several of the posts in the thread to describe anything other than a vote to remain in the EU.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and the outcome could have gone either way.
Interesting times....

#28 linda.ff

linda.ff

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8034 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:01

Out. Just for fun.

Happy now? Now that Mr Farage has already been on television to say that the main thrust of his campaign was a lie? Oh no, Sorry, a mistake. That's different of course.

#29 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1913 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:09

The angry part of me says I hope Britain gets everything it deserves for its inward looking attitude.

I hope we get what we deserve too, and that is something better than we've had for a long, long time.  What makes me angry is partly the waste of our money that Brussels so carelessly throws away, and partly having stereotypes attached to me which bear no relation to what I actually believe.  Inward-looking?  It's yet another of those insults which says more about the people making them than it does about us.  We're looking outwards, to the world, not just to Europe whose leaders have shackled us for far too long. 

The Polish ambassador said this morning that "Britain will always be our friend and ally, whatever happens".  A bit more of that generosity of spirit instead of the vilification, bullying and invective that Leavers have had to put up with would go a long way towards building bridges. 

I've been sad that politicians in this country and Europe have been so blind to what was happening in England outside of London and the home counties.  If anyone is to blame, it is themselves for failing the European project and the European people. 

#30 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1913 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:16

This morning I feel extremely concerned for the future of our country, particularly the NHS which is heavily dependent on staff from other EU countries. When I go to work this morning, I will make sure that my Spanish, Italian, Portugese, Polish and Romanian colleagues know that they remain welcome and we value them and the work they do for our NHS.

I don't know anybody who doesn't want anybody currently living and working here to remain.  The point has always been "controlled migration", not deportation.  I don't know where the idea came from that EU nationals would be deported if we left the EU.