5 replies to this topic

#1 surfergal

surfergal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Member: 7352

Posted 09 December 2006 - 20:21

I'm doing AS music and my composition feels that it should be in ABCBA form which I found out is Arch form and I was wondering whether any one else can tell me any more information about arch form?

#2 Car Expert

Car Expert

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31739 posts
  • Member: 3680
  • UK - rural North Norfolk\East Anglia. Lincoln 104 miles. Ipswich 66 miles. Oxford 193 miles. Lewes 199 miles.

Posted 09 December 2006 - 20:32

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch_form

Car Expert

#3 janexxx

janexxx

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5049 posts
  • Member: 3016
  • Sunny Derbyshire UK

Posted 09 December 2006 - 21:09

Bartok used it some of his String quartets. Usually 5 movements, the 1st and 5th similar, the 2nd and 4th similar and the 3rd on its own (at the centre of the Arch).

PS It has nothing to do with my dog!

#4 jm-hamilton

jm-hamilton

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2289 posts
  • Member: 2857
  • By the sea

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:34

I think (if I can remember from my A-level days) that Bartok's "Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste" is written in Arch form.

#5 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18259 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 17 December 2006 - 21:20

QUOTE(jm-hamilton @ Dec 10 2006, 11:34 AM) View Post

I think (if I can remember from my A-level days) that Bartok's "Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste" is written in Arch form.

No I dont think that can be right JM, as its in four movements. (slow, fast, slow, fast)
Do you mean Bartok Concerto forOrchestra ?
That has 5 movements, the second and fourth are both allegretto, the third an Elegie (andante non troppo), the outer movements are fast apart from a slow intro to the first movement.
(Both available on same CD Naxos 8.550261)

You can also have a single movement in Arch form of course , in the samwe way that a ROndo as ABACA or ABACADA, you can have ABCBA.

#6 jm-hamilton

jm-hamilton

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2289 posts
  • Member: 2857
  • By the sea

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:07

QUOTE(fsharpminor @ Dec 17 2006, 09:20 PM) View Post

QUOTE(jm-hamilton @ Dec 10 2006, 11:34 AM) View Post

No I dont think that can be right JM, as its in four movements. (slow, fast, slow, fast)
Do you mean Bartok Concerto forOrchestra ?
That has 5 movements, the second and fourth are both allegretto, the third an Elegie (andante non troppo), the outer movements are fast apart from a slow intro to the first movement.
(Both available on same CD Naxos 8.550261)

You can also have a single movement in Arch form of course , in the samwe way that a ROndo as ABACA or ABACADA, you can have ABCBA.

I was thinking of just one movement - in fact I thought Music for Strings perc, etc was only one movement - oh dear, but then it's more than 40 years since I did A-level, so can I be forgiven if I've got it so wrong? Shall go and look it up later. blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif