• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Guest: nish81_*

Guest: nish81_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 17 June 2006 - 13:28

Hi!

I recently took a grade 6 piano exam (on the 14th of June) in tanzania. to put it shortly, i received exam results which i consider to be very unfair, and were not consistent with my previous exam results: i received a 127/150, whereas in all other exams i am sure that i have scored at least 135/150. when i contacted other students taught by the same teacher, i found that they also received similarly inconsistent results: one student who received distinctions for grade 1-7 exams simply passed in the grade 8 exam. another student who i have heard play, and consider them to be good enough for a distinction, also just passed in a grade 8 piano exam.
i have already written an email to the ABRSM, but are there any other steps that I can take?

nish

#2 Guest: gershwinISgod_*

Guest: gershwinISgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 13:34

I also have many >_< feelings re:my gr.VI results. I don't know if it is just for entrants outside the UK (jet lag, etc may affect an examiner...?) who feel this way...
I don't know what other steps you can take...but I have heard (some consolation) that it is common to do worse in Gr.VI because they raise the standard signifigantly? 127/150 is amazingly good for Gr.VI, though....

#3 Guest: Yaranak_*

Guest: Yaranak_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 13:38

Wow. You're actually complaining about that?

I couldn't even read my examiner's handwriting and I got a lousy 114/150 in Grade 5. *sigh*

You can always email them.

#4 Guest: nish81_*

Guest: nish81_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 13:40

Thanks for the consolation, but of the students i talked to, there was one doing grade 4 and two doing grade 5, as well as one doing grade 7 and three doing grade 8. ALL of them received exam results which do not at ALL reflect their performance in the exam, (i heard the grade 4 and grade 7 student play their exam, as did the teacher) OR their previous exam results...so its not just the fact that they raise standards significantly for grade six exams.
thanks for the compliment happy.gif but i still feel that i played well enough for a higher mark smile.gif
also, if the examiner is affected by jet lag, then they shouldnt send such a person to mark overseas..none of my previous examiners seemed to be affected by jet lag like this. anyway, the jet lag between UK and where I live in east africa is only three hours.

nishant

#5 Guest: gershwinISgod_*

Guest: gershwinISgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 13:48

If all of your group got bad marks, I think you must have got a strange examiner.
With my music school last May session, all the other pupils had a different examiner from me (I had to change my music exam to a later date due to a maths paper...lucky me) Anyway, those examined by the first examiner person either failed or justjust scraped a pass (!) I however, came away with my first distinction ever!?! My music teachers were most puzzled....
So, unfortunately, that's just life turns out. The important thing is, you know you deserved a better mark (and would have got one if not for a jet-lagged examiiner wink.gif! )
It is most annoying that ABRSM can't maintain a constant, FAIR standard when it comes to examiners.....

#6 Guest: mwl1_*

Guest: mwl1_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 14:36

Is your teacher not going to appeal? I had a similar state of affairs in the Autumn term, and my teacher appealed. For a deposit of £10, anyone who wanted to could retake the exam. Good luck!

#7 Guest: sbhoa_*

Guest: sbhoa_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 14:52

Do the comments match the marks?
If there seems to be a mismatch between comments and marks then you may have grounds to appeal but as you would only get offered a resit for free is it worth it with such a good mark already.
Maybe when you reflect a little you will decide that putting it behind you and working up towards the next grade would be a better use of your time and efforts?

And, as has been said, there is a difference in the playing standard expected onece you reach grade 6 as the marking criteria (can be seen in 'These Music Exams') reflects.

#8 Guest: musicbox_*

Guest: musicbox_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 20:49

Sad that your dissapointed but I'd be really happy if I'd got that result!

#9 Guest: bobifier_*

Guest: bobifier_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 21:04

There is most definitely an appeal system. because I have seen it used when MWL1 had a crazy examiner.

#10 Guest: xEmZx06_*

Guest: xEmZx06_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 21:16

But ... thats only like 7 marks difference ? I don't understand the problem. Sorry to be harsh, but sometimes we do have days when we don't actually play as good as we think we do

#11 Guest: oboist_*

Guest: oboist_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 22:14

As I understand it, ABRSM examiners are some of the most highly qualified, trained and constantly moderated examiners in the music world but they are only human. I guess the only "fair" way to ensure every candidate got the same hearing would be to have one examiner do all 600,000 (or whatever the figure is these days) exams which, of course, is impossible.

Senior exams require different strengths - see "These music exams" and the harder the exam, it seems to me the harder it is to get a good result.

A Merit is an excellent result at any grade and particularly a senior one. Just because you got Distinction in a previous exam it doesn't mean you'll get one in the next.

If you want to appeal, so be it but it has to be the person who enters you who appeals. If that was you, fine, if not get that person onto the task quickly. Certainly here in the UK you only get a very short time in which to make the appeal.

#12 Guest: Trebor_*

Guest: Trebor_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 22:19

To be honest, I see little point in appealing, because you'd still have to retake the exam so you'd have to keep doing your Grade 6 stuff. 127 is a great mark: ok, maybe you deserved more but in the long run does it matter? I'd just carry on, play new stuff and later see what you get for Grade 7. Plus, the difference in marking between Grades 1-5 and 6-8 can cause people who got distinctions in Grade 5 to only pass Grade 6 (which is exactly what happened to me).

#13 Guest: celebworld_*

Guest: celebworld_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 22:20

It's a merit. That's really good. I would be happy with that score! laugh.gif I mean...For all my piano grades, for my previous one, Grade 5...I got a 127 which is a merit. I think as we are on a higher level, the examiner tends to get a bit more harsher...might just be me though...

#14 Guest: Rosemary_*

Guest: Rosemary_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:18

"...do the comments match the marks?
If there seems to be a mismatch between comments and marks then you may have grounds to appeal but as you would only get offered a resit for free is it worth it with such a good mark already.
Maybe when you reflect a little you will decide that putting it behind you and working up towards the next grade would be a better use of your time and efforts?

And, as has been said, there is a difference in the playing standard expected onece you reach grade 6 as the marking criteria (can be seen in 'These Music Exams') reflects...."

I agree with Sbhoa. I understand your disappointment with your result - we have all had that experience. You feel that the comments and marks don't reflect your ability? Overall though, either your teacher can appeal in writing on behalf of his/her students, or else you put it behind you. Is the actual mark going to be relevant? for getting to college/uni for instance? If not, then move on and enjoy some more challenging repertoire. Possibly consider looking at a different teacher to give fresh input?

I had quite a low Pass for grade 6 piano some years ago and had lessons with a different teacher to help me work towards grade 7. She looked at things from such a fresh perspective that it really inspired me and I got a pretty good grade 7 mark. Just worth a thought. Sometimes we can benefit from a different teacher when we are working towards the 'higher grade' exams.

#15 Guest: pianist_1210_*

Guest: pianist_1210_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2006 - 09:33

smile.gif That's a really good achievement, nich81. smile.gif
I believe you should be happy with your result. Marks, fames, certificates are just like smoke in life...they don't last long, but the relationship between you and your instrument do. wub.gif Try to love your instrument and enjoy playing on it, believe me, you'll be much more satistified in the future than you are now. wink.gif