Leeds Players For Pleasure Concert - Sat 8 Jan 2011

• Please log in to reply
322 replies to this topic

#1 Guest: skylark_*

Guest: skylark_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 12 November 2010 - 14:22

I shall celebrate the opening of a dedicated Events forum with a thread for the Players for Pleasure concert in Leeds on Sat 8th Jan - thanks, Ed! hurrah.gif

Most of the info is on the Players for Pleasure web site and feel free to PM me if you'd like to come and join us, or email if you've got my email address.

The list of participants so far is on my profile but we might be able to squeeze a few more in as we've got two concert rooms now at the new venue biggrin.gif

#2 Pixie*Porsche

Pixie*Porsche

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • Member: 6685

Posted 12 November 2010 - 14:43

I've said I would like to come along to this smile.gif

Would any flautists be interested in a flute group?

Also to Lois I would like to be in the clarinet group! smile.gif

#3 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17677 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 12 November 2010 - 16:08

I am hoping to come , and will be happy to help with accompaniments.

Is there a clarinettist , plus either violist or cellist who would like to play a movement from Mozarts Kegelstatt trio K498 ? I played the piano part when I was 16, and not done it since. It's my favourite Mozart.
Emma Johnson is playing it in Leeds on Jan 18th.

#4 Pixie*Porsche

Pixie*Porsche

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2726 posts
  • Member: 6685

Posted 12 November 2010 - 16:31

fsharpminor - sounds great would be interested - Clarinettist! ) can you pm me details / music?

#5 Guest: Celeste_*

Guest: Celeste_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2010 - 17:25

For those who haven't seen the other thread - I'm organising a string ensemble biggrin.gif

PM me your details if you'd like to be involved (instrument, approximate standard etc smile.gif )

Fiona x

#6 thecheekster

thecheekster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Member: 117623
  • Leeds

Posted 12 November 2010 - 21:45

Nicia-Clarinet-Flute - i play the flute and would be interested to play in a group if anyone is organizing one smile.gif

Also, I am planning to play a flute solo, would anyone be interested to play a piano accompaniment with me? biggrin.gif please? happy.gif

#7 Guest: DaisyChain_*

Guest: DaisyChain_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:51

Looking forward to this as always! smile.gif

Will accompany if required. I may need an accompanist too if I decide to sing again this time.

I'll bring Herman along so long as the clarinet pieces have an ultra easy part! clarinet.gif

#8 notmusimum

notmusimum

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9219 posts
  • Member: 5959

Posted 13 November 2010 - 15:32

QUOTE(DaisyChain @ Nov 13 2010, 11:51 AM) View Post

Looking forward to this as always! smile.gif

Will accompany if required. I may need an accompanist too if I decide to sing again this time.

I'll bring Herman along so long as the clarinet pieces have an ultra easy part! clarinet.gif

Looking forward to seeing you Daisy.

Emsoboe will happily participate in a Flute ensemble.

#9 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17677 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 13 November 2010 - 19:32

QUOTE(Nicia-Clarinet-Flute @ Nov 12 2010, 04:31 PM) View Post

fsharpminor - sounds great would be interested - Clarinettist! ) can you pm me details / music?

Great. The fist two movements are about 6 mins each, the last is a bit longer so probably not allowed by Skylark.
I actually dont have a copy anymore, but am happy to pay for one for all three of us.
Before I order it I need to know we have someone for the middle part, as far as I recall it can be played on either viola (preferable) or 'cello. Any takers ?
I have a CD - its an inexpensive Naxos one.

#10 thecheekster

thecheekster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Member: 117623
  • Leeds

Posted 13 November 2010 - 19:41

QUOTE(Nicia-Clarinet-Flute @ Nov 12 2010, 02:43 PM) View Post

I've said I would like to come along to this smile.gif

Also to Lois I would like to be in the clarinet group! smile.gif

Hi, I'm kind of new to this but would it be ok if I joined in the flute group if you are organizing one? smile.gif

#11 Guest: skylark_*

• Guests

Posted 13 November 2010 - 20:49

QUOTE(fsharpminor @ Nov 13 2010, 07:32 PM) View Post

Great. The fist two movements are about 6 mins each, the last is a bit longer so probably not allowed by Skylark.

You know me so well rolleyes.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE(fsharpminor @ Nov 13 2010, 07:32 PM) View Post

Before I order it I need to know we have someone for the middle part, as far as I recall it can be played on either viola (preferable) or 'cello. Any takers ?

I don't know of any cellists coming, but there's a viola player coming. I don't know what level you would need though - she's around G4 on viola but a very good pianist so she'd be OK with the rhythm at least. She's not a forum member but I can give her your email address if you want to discuss it with her.

QUOTE(thecheekster @ Nov 13 2010, 07:41 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Nicia-Clarinet-Flute @ Nov 12 2010, 02:43 PM) View Post

Hi, I'm kind of new to this but would it be ok if I joined in the flute group if you are organizing one? smile.gif

I'm sure it will be - the more the merrier biggrin.gif

I'm working on the application form and it should be ready in the next day or two. If anyone hasn't got an accompanist and would like one, I'll sort it out when I get the forms back so the sooner the better. And if anyone hasn't got a duet partner and would like one (or two), again I'll sort it out when I get the forms back party1.gif

#12 Guest: Celeste_*

Guest: Celeste_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2010 - 20:52

Just to say - very willing duet/trio-er here! wave.gif (Violin, voice, rusty on flute, descant recorder, piano) tongue.gif

#13 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7103 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 13 November 2010 - 21:08

Would anyone be willing to do any easy violin duet with me? I have a piece in mind (which I did with my teacher a few weeks ago) but am open to other suggestions as well. smile.gif

Edit: I haven't been able to log on to the players for pleasure thing at all, so not sure what's already been discussed...

#14 lois

lois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Member: 44946
  • Walsall - West Mids

Posted 14 November 2010 - 01:29

QUOTE(Flossie @ Nov 13 2010, 09:08 PM) View Post

Would anyone be willing to do any easy violin duet with me? I have a piece in mind (which I did with my teacher a few weeks ago) but am open to other suggestions as well. smile.gif

I'll have a bash Flossie. It would need to be very easy (around Gr 2) biggrin.gif

#15 Guest: skylark_*

• Guests

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:10

QUOTE(Flossie @ Nov 13 2010, 09:08 PM) View Post

Edit: I haven't been able to log on to the players for pleasure thing at all, so not sure what's already been discussed...

Make sure everything is in lower case - but no matter, this is now the "live" thread so you won't miss out on anything smile.gif

It's 8 weeks to the concert date and we all know how quickly that 8 weeks will pass, especially with Christmas in-between blink.gif A tip I learnt from Philip Johnston's Practice Revolution book is to plan a schedule so that you don't run out of time towards the end. So it might look like:

Wk 8 - learn hands separate at slow speed
Wk 7 - learn HS at or beyond performance speed
Wk 6 - learn hands together at slow speed
Wk 5 - learn HT at or beyond performance speed
Wk 4 - Record yourself playing under pressure
Wk 3 - Rehearsal performance to a supportive person(s)
Wk 2 - er, Christmas!

Well you get the drift anyway - I think this is a good idea so FWIW I'll pass it on. (Philip Johnston also recommends that the countdown schedule is used between lessons to make sure you don't go to lessons half-ready.)