Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 10 April 2019 - 19:22

The older I get, the slower my reading speed is, so I can't cope with Dickens.

I gather a Tale of Two Cities was first serialised in the Bicester Times and the Worcester Times.

#122 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 11 April 2019 - 15:33

Any fans of Patrick O'Brian here?  I'm currently reading Clarissa Oakes, with Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment and a nonfiction book called Persian Fire about the Greco-Persian wars on the back burner.

I'm really enjoying Clarissa Oakes, as I have the previous novels in the Aubrey/Maturin series - rollicking adventure yarns that aren't totally mindless, set in a fascinating time in history.

I finished the first volume of Crime and Punishment and then set it aside.  I'll have to go back and finish it at some point.  It seems pretty dire, even for Russian literature.  I found the book to have a highly claustrophobic feel, as if the walls and buildings of imperial-era St. Petersbrug were closing on in me as I read it.  I enjoyed The Brothers Karamazov much more, even though I found the ending highly disappointing.

The Greco-Persian wars aren't really my area of historical interest, but I've read everything else by Tom Holland so I thought I'd give it a read.

#123 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1988 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 01 May 2019 - 08:35

Fed Up: Navigating and redefining emotional labour for good by Gemma Hartley

#124 stetenorve

stetenorve

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3267 posts
  • Member: 60099
  • Bolsover, Chesterfield.

Posted 02 May 2019 - 06:31

Marlborough. A biography by Richard Holmes.

#125 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17682 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:23

I am reading some of Roald Dahls early short stories  (written 1945-55)  , adult ones (but clean!) ! There are some real classics, with twists at the end.   (Some were used in a TV series 'Tales of the Unexpected' some years ago)

#126 hennylemon

hennylemon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:22

I'm reading Unmasked, Andrew Lloyd Webber's autobiography. I'm not far in (only about 50 pages) and I'm struggling to get into it. His childhood stories have been quite interesting but at the same time I think there's so much editing that could have been done to reduce the level of detail by at least a good 20-30%. I enjoy his musicals just as much as the next person, but I'm starting to feel that you need to be a superfan to find this book worth the while. I tend to finish all books I read though so I'll keep on ploughing...

#127 DaisyChain2

DaisyChain2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Member: 893080
  • Kent

Posted 03 May 2019 - 11:16

Everybody Died So I Got A Dog by Emily Dean. A true story which can be hard to read in places (especially as I lost my own sister just before Christmas) but it’s had me in tears of laughter as well as sadness.

#128 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4947 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 03 May 2019 - 17:14

Everybody Died So I Got A Dog by Emily Dean. A true story which can be hard to read in places (especially as I lost my own sister just before Christmas) but it’s had me in tears of laughter as well as sadness.

Might get this. My own moggy is nearly 20 and is a link to so many deceased loved ones on whose laps she has curled up. Not sure I could face a replacement when comes the inevitable.

Currently reading Burial Rites by Hannah Kent. Not very far into it but it is about someone awaiting execution in 19th century Iceland. No laughs so far. Shall be discussing it at book club in 2 weeks.
Sad to say our town's independent book shop closed down recently. Quite gutted.

#129 Piedflutey

Piedflutey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Member: 899199

Posted 03 May 2019 - 20:29

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole aged 13 3/4 Sue Townsend. For some reason I had always assumed the Diary series was for children! Then I heard the recent Weapons of Mass Destruction on Radio 4 and realised my mistake - so I am now reading them and reliving the 80s.

#130 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1988 posts
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 05 May 2019 - 20:46

The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole aged 13 3/4 Sue Townsend. For some reason I had always assumed the Diary series was for children! Then I heard the recent Weapons of Mass Destruction on Radio 4 and realised my mistake - so I am now reading them and reliving the 80s.

Enjoy them while you can - IMO there is a definite decline in quality after Book 2 (The Growing Pains). In contrast to his younger self, the 20-something Adrian is so apathetic about world events that the Yugoslavian conflict is not mentioned at all during the volumes covering the 90s. A curious oversight, what with Pandora studying Serbo-Croat. Also there are glaring continuity errors...

#131 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 08 May 2019 - 13:00

the 20-something Adrian is so apathetic about world events that the Yugoslavian conflict is not mentioned at all during the volumes covering the 90s. A curious oversight, what with Pandora studying Serbo-Croat. 

My interest is piqued. Presumably Townsend wasn't being ironic. I doubt if ironic is the right word.

I've been away in a land of boredom and charity shops, so it's all a bit random. An Italian translation of Robert Harris's Pompeii (I know where there used to be an Italian translation of the Lord of the Rings. I wonder if it's still there and if I dare, lol!), Joan Alcock - Life in Roman Britain. Catullus (I'm constantly reading him), Arrian's Alexander. Val MacDermid. Channon - The Ludwigs of Bavaria.

(yeah, sorry, I cut and pasted that from another forum, if you've read it before!)

#132 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1988 posts
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 16 May 2019 - 15:26

Anne's House of Dreams by L M Montgomery

#133 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 16 May 2019 - 15:47

Aeolienne, I read Anne of Green Gables when I was a teenager and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Would you recommend the rest of the series?  Particularly, would you recommend it to a man approaching middle age?  (Ugh... where did my youth go?)

#134 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1988 posts
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:27

Aeolienne, I read Anne of Green Gables when I was a teenager and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Would you recommend the rest of the series?  Particularly, would you recommend it to a man approaching middle age?  (Ugh... where did my youth go?)

Yes, if you enjoyed the first book when you were younger I'm sure you'll enjoy the sequels. I certainly have, especially now that I can compare Anne's experience of higher education with mine.

I'm now reading I Thought It Was Just Me (But It Isn't): Making the journey from "What will people think?" to "I am enough" by Brené Brown.

#135 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6003 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 31 May 2019 - 14:03

I'm now reading I Thought It Was Just Me (But It Isn't): Making the journey from "What will people think?" to "I am enough" by Brené Brown.

I like the sound of this - I will add it to my reading list.

For now, I'm into Complete French Grammar.unsure.png