maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19955 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 15 March 2018 - 20:25

For number 5 I'd say that  "domestic or recreational reasons (ie information relating to a hobby);" was the answer but is it?
If not I'm stuck on number 7.   I don't have their bank details, they have mine so am I using details for accountancy and auditing? Does it come under education? Do I also tick social if I have a Facebook business page?
From the answers I think are correct it says I don't need to register.

I believe that in Q5 the answer is “No”, because although music lessons may be a “hobby” for our clients, for us they aren’t our hobby - they our business/work.

......”.

With those answers to Q5 and Q7 the verdict is, unfortunately, yes we have to register. And I believe it costs £35.00 to do so ...

No, our understanding is that it applies to the client, not to the provider.

#17 aje

aje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Member: 7146

Posted 15 March 2018 - 20:33

"No, our understanding is that it applies to the client, not to the provider."

The full wording on the form says:

"Do you only process information for one of the following purposes?

• Judicial functions;
  • domestic or recreational reasons (ie information relating to a hobby); or
  • to maintain a public register (ie you are required by law to make the information publicly available)."

So it seems to be about the provider ;-) 

#18 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19955 posts
  • S E England

Posted 15 March 2018 - 20:38

"No, our understanding is that it applies to the client, not to the provider."
The full wording on the form says:
"Do you only process information for one of the following purposes?

• Judicial functions;
  • domestic or recreational reasons (ie information relating to a hobby); or
  • to maintain a public register (ie you are required by law to make the information publicly available)."
So it seems to be about the provider ;-) 
We are reading it differently. My understanding is that the hobby pertains to the data subject (= the student), not to the teacher. :-)

#19 aje

aje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 20:43

“Do you only process information …” means that the subject of the sentence is you, i.e. the teacher.

But if in doubt, best to get independent legal advice about your own situation :-) 

#20 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 15 March 2018 - 20:58

Actually can't answer question 2. I have no employees.

This is now a different self assessment link to the one I had before.... it's a business one.

Can't remember what the other one was.

#21 aje

aje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 21:01

This is the one for individuals:

https://ico.org.uk/f...elf-assessment/

#22 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19955 posts
  • S E England

Posted 15 March 2018 - 21:07

“Do you only process information …” means that the subject of the sentence is you, i.e. the teacher.
But if in doubt, best to get independent legal advice about your own situation :-)

The problem with seeking legal advice is that the law has not yet come into effect - there is no case history.

In any case, I think this could be just a bit OTT.

We may have to agree to differ on the understanding of the hobby sentence (Never mind the incorrect grammar of ‘do you only process’... !

#23 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Tameside

Posted 15 March 2018 - 21:10

The problem with seeking legal advice is that the law has not yet come into effect - there is no case history.

In any case, I think this could be just a bit OTT.

We may have to agree to differ on the understanding of the hobby sentence (Never mind the incorrect grammar of ‘do you only process’... !

Is phoning or texting someone about a lesson processing information?

#24 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19955 posts
  • S E England

Posted 15 March 2018 - 21:13

Sbhoa - not really. It’s simple communication, not processing.

#25 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Tameside

Posted 15 March 2018 - 21:35

I bet it doesn't change the number of people who are processing my email address and sending me some very dubious invitations. Who's going to chase them for not registering?

#26 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3755 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 15 March 2018 - 21:39

Am I wrong in thinking that it's OK to hold records if you have the consent of the people listed?

#27 BabyGrand

BabyGrand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Member: 144315
  • UK

Posted 15 March 2018 - 21:41

I just don't even know how to begin to get my head around all this, never mind find the time to work it all out, draw up a policy etc. unsure.png  Especially right now, I have so much to deal with in my life at the minute; I really don't have time to spend hours / days working this all out.  It make me want to give up teaching.  sad.png  Why do they have to make things so difficult for us?  Why do they insist (as with proposed self-assessment changes) on lumping us individual music teachers in with big companies?  Or if they really have to do this, why can't they at least make it more straightforward to do, and easier to find the information we need?  

Sigh.  

sad.png sad.png sad.png

#28 aje

aje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 21:45

That’s exactly why I thought it might help some if I posted Liz Giannopoulos’s article here. She’s spent many hours piling through the EU regulations, contacting the ICO, quizzing those in the know … her guide definitely makes it all a lot more clear. 

#29 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19955 posts
  • S E England

Posted 15 March 2018 - 21:52

(Quote BabyGrand) Why do they insist ..... on lumping us individual music teachers in with big companies?

It seems they are not - we are Micro-Businesses ( unless we employ more than 10 ! ;-) )

Check post 16 if you haven’t already seen it.

#30 BabyGrand

BabyGrand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Member: 144315
  • UK

Posted 15 March 2018 - 21:57

That’s exactly why I thought it might help some if I posted Liz Giannopoulos’s article here. She’s spent many hours piling through the EU regulations, contacting the ICO, quizzing those in the know … her guide definitely makes it all a lot more clear. So if you missed the link in my OP here it is again: Now I’m not a legal expert and nor is Liz (see her disclaimer within the download), but at least she has consulted those who are and been through the process of implementing this in her own studio. I hope you find her insights, templates, etc useful. 
I could also link you to the full EU Law that is coming into effect, but it’s dull, dull, dull! And so far as I can tell, Liz has done a fabulous job of explaining it in language that WE musicians and teachers can easily understand :-)

(That's odd - when I quote you it adds an extra paragraph that doesn't appear in the post itself! blink.png And I had to delete the URL to get my reply to post!)

Thanks Andrew.  I have deliberately not read it today, because I just can't process this right now, but I have saved the link to read through at a later date.  I'm sure it will be useful.  

Last time I re-did my Ts and Cs, based on legal changes and new ISM recommendations, it took me weeks to draft, redraft, have ISM check them, etc etc.  I simply don't have the time or 'reserves' to go through that kind of process at the minute. Hopefully I will find I am able to tackle it before the deadline comes along.