#16 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 19 May 2018 - 14:23

Good luck to all, and I hope it all works out.

Also, so relieved by the content of this thread because the title made me braced for something truly awful biggrin.png

I must admit that I felt the same!

So did I. Let's keep a little perspective!

#17 ten left thumbs

ten left thumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Member: 454622

Posted 19 May 2018 - 15:26

I thought maybe they'd decided they'd made a mistake, stripped you of your recent percussion grade, and ceremonially broken your drum sticks. Now, that would have been bad...

#18 susiejean

susiejean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Member: 10392
  • Aberdeenshire

Posted 19 May 2018 - 15:44

This post will be deleted as soon as possible. I apologise for all the obvious upset it has caused.

#19 SingingPython

SingingPython

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Member: 406151

Posted 19 May 2018 - 16:23

You've at least reminded me why it is a very good idea that my son is only doing one performance grade 8 this term and we've postponed the other for his next school to deal with ... He has however signed up for grade 8 theory rofl.gif

#20 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3205 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:54

Perhaps the title of the thread was unfortunate but it is unlikely seriously bad news would be put out on the teachers' forum so maybe it's a bit harsh to shoot the OP down in flames.

As teachers we've ALL been where the OP is now and sometimes, when our defences are low or we've had a rotten run then this sort of thing DOES seem huge.

I do hope the OP can find an alternative but if not let's hope the student goes for it all guns blazing!

BPx

#21 Dorcas

Dorcas

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts
  • Member: 887843
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:40

Why do forumites do this?  Susiejean is clearly a teacher who really does her best for her students.  OF COURSE IT'S A BIG DEAL!!! 

In the long scheme of things, it might seem trivial, but not when you are working towards those precious exams.

edit: grammar

#22 susiejean

susiejean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  • Member: 10392
  • Aberdeenshire

Posted 20 May 2018 - 15:54

Thanks to those of you who have given support in this post. Unfortunately Mods have not yet deleted it. 

For those who gave more cutting and unhelpful remarks I would like to point out the following - 

to the girl in question this IS a big deal, and since I've been teaching her for 8 years it also matters to me because that's the kind of teacher I am. I care.

It is NOT ok to relate my post title to sensationalised TV programmes (and Musician of the Year is just as bad in it's own little way) and try to make me look over dramatic and silly.

It is ABSOLUTELY not ok to refer to death or terminal illness as a potential reason for my post title. Most people in this forum are anonymous to each other and therefore we do not know what personal battles they may be fighting. 

This is a teachers forum where we come for help advice and support in regards of teaching music.

Lets keep it that way.

#23 just helen

just helen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Member: 66438
  • Dartmoor

Posted 20 May 2018 - 15:58

I don't think you did anything wrong posting this susiejean. You needed sympathy, and we've all been there! All you want is for your pupil to achieve the best mark possible. Two or three weeks can make all the difference.

#24 Spanish Pavane

Spanish Pavane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Member: 720213

Posted 20 May 2018 - 20:22

I think the girl might well pull out all the stops as well.  Nothing like a date to concentrate the mind beautifully.

#25 bevpiano

bevpiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Member: 7837
  • hertfordshire

Posted 20 May 2018 - 21:30

I think you've just shown you're a committed and dedicated teacher, Susiejean! Ok it's not the worst news in the world, but these things do loom large in a teacher's mind.

#26 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6177 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 20 May 2018 - 21:36

It is ABSOLUTELY not ok to refer to death or terminal illness as a potential reason for my post title. Most people in this forum are anonymous to each other and therefore we do not know what personal battles they may be fighting. 

I entirely agree. I am not a teacher, but I am someone who has dealt with these serious issues in the past, and when I was, I didn't think that anyone else being upset about their own personal catastrophe was trivialising my problems. 

#27 Dorcas

Dorcas

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts
  • Member: 887843
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:28

Well put Corenfa.  I too have had my fair share of losing immediate family and friends.  Doesn't stop me suffering angst over my students.  What a poor teacher I would be, if I couldn't care less.