Gillybobs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Member: 898726
  • Glasgow

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:34

Dear fellow adult learners,

I started up piano again last year and have really enjoyed it.  Had a lesson every fortnight up until a few months ago when life got in the way of things and I had to take a break (nearly breaking down in tears during lessons and being unable to play in front of anyone). 

Am trying to go it alone for a while as lessons got a bit expensive for me just now, but am having trouble focusing on contrary motion scales.  I actually did grade 5 years ago (1990s) and for sure, we didn't do such difficult contrary motion scales. 

My brain just will not do this.  I have tried over and over again, but it's so difficult.  The options are - group 1; F, Db/C# major and minor scales OR group 2; F#, Bb maj and mins.  I an do the majors ok, but the minors, not so much! I looked back at my 1990s scale book and these aren't listed, which is why they seem so unfamiliar I expect. 

Any advice on tips for learning these scales would be hugely appreciated.  Or is my much older brain just now cut out for this now? 

Thanks so much, these forums are helpful.

Gill x

#2 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3761 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:26

I tend to find students prefer group 1. I sometimes write out the right hand notes you play as letters and finger numberst with the LH ones underneath so you can see clearly what comes together. Then practise slowly watching where thumbs come. Learn the pairs that come together eg in C#minor it's B# and D#, E and A, F# and G#. There are really only 3 pairs to learn.Hope this helps.

#3 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 18 June 2019 - 12:23

REALLY slowly! I find most pupils try to learn new things too quickly. It needs to be slow enough that you don't make any mistakes - I've even made some pupils count to 4 for each note.

#4 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 18 June 2019 - 12:37

Thanks so much both, I will try slowing right down as well as writing down the notes as letters with fingering above, I have possibly been impatient to learn it quickly as it's the first scale that has given me problems so far.  Many thanks, Gillian

#5 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Glasgow

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:40

I can do it!! Well have managed to do F Minor at least...next step is to use the same learning/practice approach with Db/C# Minor. Thank you both for replying :-) this feels like a big step forward.

G xx

#6 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:09

Well done! They are tricky, aren't they? Very satisfying both to learn the scale, and to learn a practice technique that will help in many other situations too.

#7 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1916 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:04

... and to learn a practice technique that will help in many other situations too.

Yes, one of the techniques that often works for me is to mentally concentrate on, say, the LH going up and the RH coming down.  The other hand tends to take care of itself.

#8 MarkyMark

MarkyMark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Member: 894766

Posted 16 July 2019 - 09:28

Can anyone help - I'm a bit unclear as to the instructions for Contrary-motion scales which say: 

Group 1: F, Db/C# majors and harmonic minors

https://us.abrsm.org.../piano-grade-5/

Does that mean four scales in total for each group:

1. F major
  2. F minor
  3. Db/C# major
  4. Db/C# minor

Thanks

#9 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members