16 replies to this topic

#1 Olivia

Olivia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Member: 895376

Posted 04 May 2018 - 13:27

My daughter recently passed her Grade 6 violin. Her teacher has decided to retire due to ill health so until September she will be without a teacher.

To keep up her interest and practice I’m looking to get some new material for her to work on that’s appropriate to her current level. The problem is our local music store seems to stock beginner level or advanced level music and there’s very little in between.

Any suggestions/ideas gratefully received!

#2 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17607 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 04 May 2018 - 15:07

A popular Grade 7 piece  is the Massanet 'Meditation from Thais'  My daughter liked that when she was at that stage. You could also consider some of the easier classical Sonata movements,  eg 1st movement Mozart E Minor  K304  Maybe slow movement of Beethoven No 6 in A. 3rd movement of Op12 No1 in D or slow movement of Op 23 in A Minor.    Finally all the movements of the Dvorak Sonatina in G Op100 are no harder than Grade 7.   You will get all except the Massanet as free downloads from IMSLP.

#3 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4016 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 04 May 2018 - 15:30

If she's just passed grade 6 with no teacher, I'd suggest consolidating rather than stretching to grade seven. There is plenty of music around grades four to six that could keep her busy. When I'm on my computer I'll add some suggestions for those levels if you'd like.

#4 tulip21

tulip21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Member: 898887

Posted 04 May 2018 - 16:12

The Massenet can be found online for free, since it is public domain.

#5 Bremmer

Bremmer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Member: 6584

Posted 04 May 2018 - 20:59

Aside from starting herself on Grade 7 scales ( ;-)  )  how about a bit of salon music ? Kreisler Liebesleid is a lovely piece and not too hard to learn the notes - but difficult to play with the right kind of understated emotion, which is something she can work on  with a new teacher. It is free on IMSLP.

Fiocco Allegro if she hasn't already done it ? What type of violin music does she really like ? Maybe it's a moment to have a search on youtube to listen to some violin music and see if there is anything she really fancies playing. There's nothing wrong with going 'back' to grade 5 or 6 stuff, the Elgar pieces, Chanson de Matin, Salut D'Amour, if she hasn't played them - it's all good sight reading practice anyway. Best in my mind to stay off Grade 7 current pieces until she has a teacher as it is hard to change things once you have learned them your way, or indeed made note or timing mistakes, or worked out your own bowing and fingerings from a standpoint of little experience. 

#6 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22941 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 04 May 2018 - 21:05

And she'll still benefit from continuing with any ensemble playing.

#7 OlderAussie

OlderAussie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Member: 893292
  • South-east Australia

Posted 05 May 2018 - 13:07

Hi Olivia.

Congratulations to your daughter. I suggest looking up what was listed as 5th or 6th grade material for exams in previous years, or what is listed by alternative examination bodies. Maybe you can find some second hand music? There are plenty of lovely pieces at this level and if your daughter can explore some herself it will be great experience. Yes, she should listen to recordings if available, but have a go at working them out for herself first...

PS I’ll give some suggestions later, yes many would be available on the web

Edited by OlderAussie, 05 May 2018 - 22:15 .

#8 OlderAussie

OlderAussie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • South-east Australia

Posted 06 May 2018 - 06:33

OK Olivia. Back again. I am currently at about that 6th grade level on violin myself (though I once did 8th Grade plus a year or so afterwards). Here are some suggestions. I have a stack of Australian Music Examinations Board exam books through the years I’ve consulted as my mum used to teach. Unfortunately I’m away from home so missing some of my info.

There is of course an aspect of any exam you daughter can work on and that is her sight-reading, by trying out easier pieces. Has she caught up with such favourites as “Minuet in G” by Beethoven, or “Traumerei” by Schumann? As for pieces which may be around her level of expertise with a bit of practice:

J. S. Bach “Arioso”. Was once an AMEB 6th grade piece for me in my earlier life. A well-known tune.

J.S. Bach “Air on the G String”. Found that this sheet music for violin and piano is available at VirtualSheetMusic.com. However I couldn’t recommend their audio file as it’s played by a computer (my own OH could synthesize a more sensitive violin :( ). I’ve been playing this piece a lot to give playing in high positions on the G string a work out. Patient counting also required!

Still in the baroque period we have Telemann. His Allemanda and Corrente, 1st and 2nd movements from Sonata TWV 41:A4 were classed as 5th grade in our Aussie system but sure are challenging enough with some nifty bowing needed, jumping over strings, in the first and some lively fingers needed in the second. Fun enough!

Then there’s a “5th Grade” work I adore playing. Senaille’s first two movements of his Sonata in G minor (Book III No. 9 to be specific). Some tricky timing in the (not-too-fast-please!) stylish Adagio then some great string-crossing in the dramatic Allegro.

In a completely different, dreamy mood I’ve discovered William Walton’s Canzonetta. Main challenge here is in interpretation but it goes quite high and there are some sobering false harmonics near the end. There are a couple of nice performances on YouTube. I think I prefer the performance by Kenneth Sillito and his pianist. The lady in pink does a fine job but does it really have to go that slow?” Canzonetta is a little song, not a sleep-over??? Oh dear I’m being critical again...

Ralph Vaughan Williams’ “Fantasia on Greensleeves” is also lovely of course. I have an arrangement by Michael Mullinar.

I checked that none of these pieces seem to be in your current ABRSM syllabus. I checked your profile Olivia and see you play piano so hopefully you can help keep your daughter on track with aspects of the above pieces.

Best regards to you both

#9 OlderAussie

OlderAussie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • South-east Australia

Posted 06 May 2018 - 11:25

Oops, sorry, just discovered Walton’s Canzonetta was a 7th Grade piece, at least it was back in 1974. But maybe it’s one to keep in mind.

Hard to tell what grade a piece would be sometimes. I find pieces with lots of double stopping in a lower grade much more difficiult than this one.

#10 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17607 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:26

Daughter did a Walton Piece for Grade 6 (years ago) but cant remember its title, had lots of stopped harmonics. Is that the Canzonetta ?  

#11 OlderAussie

OlderAussie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • South-east Australia

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:00

Maybe a different piece, fsharpminor, I count 9 natural harmonics and only 4 stopped or “artificial” harmonics (the way I play it).

Olivia, another lovely piece I forgot to mention is Toselli’s Serenata (Op. 6). Also do encourage your daughter to keep up her practice of studies as well as scales etc.

#12 Olivia

Olivia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Member: 895376

Posted 08 May 2018 - 11:29

Thank you all very much for all the suggestions. We will enjoy spending time listening to the pieces and deciding on some to work on.

In answer to a few specific comments;

BadStrad - we had a teacher until the Easter break. My daughter took her G6 in March, then the teacher retired.Yes, as you rightly say it's about consolidating rather than stretching.

FSharpMinor - thank you very much for your suggestions, Massanet has been on our list for a while and I'm delighted that you have reminded me - but maybe we'll for when we have a teacher again. I'll download it along with your other suggestions and listen to the pieces online.

Bremmer - we have a G7 scales book. We're staying off any G7 material for a while though. We've had a very exam heavy couple of years - my daughter learns 2 instruments and also had G5 theory to do. So I'm hoping that she'll spend some time getting settled in with the new teacher and and consolidating before looking at G7 pieces. We've looked at Elgar already, but not the Fiocco so we'll investigate further.

sbhoa - yes, she's been playing with a youth orchestra for a while now and that will still continue. 

OlderAussie - thank you very much. You have given us so many ideas to look at. JS Bach is always appealing as are other baroque composers. Just had a look at the Cazonetta - it's a beautiful piece. I can't easily find the performance you mention but will look again later. The Senaille is lovely too.

Thanks again everyone for you replies. When I posted the message I was feeling a little despondent about things. We've had a while when the focus has been heavily on exams, playing what's set in the books and not really exploring the range of music available to us.

#13 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:58

The Dvorak Sonatina used to be on the Grade 5 list, or at least parts of it.  It's an absolute gem but quite straightforward.

#14 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17607 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:41

The Dvorak Sonatina used to be on the Grade 5 list, or at least parts of it.  It's an absolute gem but quite straightforward.

The four movements are different grades...  1st: Grade 7.... 2nd  Grade 6......  3rd  Scherzo Grade 6  butTrio Grade 4 .. ...4th Grade 7

#15 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4016 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 10 May 2018 - 19:02

Michael C Festing - Largo and Allegro, Sonata in C minor Op.4 No 2 first and second mvts

George P Telemann - Allegro, Sonata No 4 in G TWV 41 G1 second mvt

Francesco M Veracini - Gigue, Sonata in G minor, Op. 2 No. 5 fourth mvt

Dvorák - Humeresque, Op. 101 No. 7 arr Edgar Haddock

Faure - Sicilienne Op.78

Gounod - Ave Maria Meditation sur le Prelude de JS Bach

Malcolm Arnold - Aubade Op. 84 No. 2

M Hajdu - Rondo

Vivaldi - Sonata in B minor, Op. 5 No. 4, second mvt

Elgar - Chanson de Matin, Op. 15 No. 2

Dulcie Holland - On Safari

Senaille - Sonata in D minor, Book 4 No. 4, fourth mvt

Beriot (arr. Salter) - Romance Op. 77 No. 12

Marcel Bitsch - El Danzerin

Handel - Sonata a cinque in B flat, HWV 288, first mvt

All were set for grade five  AB exams and I would imagine many of them are available on IMSLP.