#16 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 14 May 2019 - 07:44

I'm currently playing a piece from the 2015/16 Grade 7 piano syllabus - Shui Cao Wu (The Dance of the Watergrass) by Du Mingxin. There's also the well known "To a Wild Rose" by Edward MacDowell, which comes from "Woodland Sketches" so presumably a lot more nature inspired music there.

#17 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:27

Grieg: The Butterfly (from Lyric Pieces) – G6/7?

Balakirev: The Lark (after Glinka's song) – diploma

Ravel: Jeux d'eaux – diploma

Rameau (originally for harpsichord): La Poule (complete with chicken noises), and Rappel des oiseaux – both diploma

Daquin (ditto): Le Coucou – G6

Frank Bridge also wrote quite a few: Fireflies; At Dawn (for LH only); Dusk; Dainty Rose; The Hedgerow; Sea Idyll

For piano duet, there's Rachmaninov's Barcarolle

#18 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3706 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:20

I did a recital recently which was all animals, birds or insects. It included The Little White Donkey, The Grasshopper March and The cuckoo but also lots of arrangements. I'd still like to know what OP has in mind .

#19 Ana Laura

Ana Laura

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Member: 406898

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:48

How broad is the topic? Does it include creatures or things like rivers, trees etc? And do you mean well known Classical pieces or anything like eg Walter Carroll pieces from River and Rainbow. Arrangements or originals?

Thank you for that! It is quite broad at the moment. It would be nice to include some pieces that are perhaps not as well known. Originals if possible and piano duets as well. 

#20 Ana Laura

Ana Laura

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Member: 406898

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:53

Thank you all for your responses! The music for this project would need to be mostly suitable for beginners to grade 6, as the majority of the pianists at my school at of that level. Also piano duets would be a great idea, as they could be arranged for teacher/pupil, making it more accessible for the younger player. Thank you so m uch for your suggestions!  

#21 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2211 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 14 May 2019 - 13:33

Well, if your upper limit is Grade 6-ish, that would cut out much of the Liszt, Ravel, Janacek and Messiaen suggested!

There is a quite nice duet by Leon d'Ourville in the Soirees Musicales collection called The Lake - both parts around Grade 3-ish

#22 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 14 May 2019 - 14:27

More duets:

How about Jeroen Speak's The Centipede's New Shoes for piano duet (about grade 6 – for both players) on www.fourhandsplus. It's a wonderful piece.

That Rachmaninov Barcarolle has one relatively easy part (secondo) and a harder primo, so good for playing with students.

Ibert's Little White Donkey already exists in a version for duet (by the composer).

Mark Tanner's Eye Tunes books are worth a look. I have only the Grade 6–8 volume, but there's a duet that evokes 'a Majestic Norwegian Scene'.

#23 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2813 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:05

Grieg's 'The Last Spring'. Might be a bit hard, but is utterly gorgeous. I was at a concert and the pianist playing the concerto came on at the end and did this as an encore. It is just about my favourite piece of music so I left very satisfied! A fantastic bonus. I was at the concert with my boys' piano teacher and asked, 'Didn't Bobifier used to play this?' She was adamant that he hadn't, but it turned out he had. I guess she goes through a lot of pupils and a lot of pieces!

#24 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 15 May 2019 - 16:49

Grieg, Little Bird, from Lyric pieces op.43. Grade 4-5, perhaps? It's techically fairly easy but uses quite a lot of ledger lines in the chirrups! Short and very charming.

#25 Edwardo

Edwardo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • Member: 4759
  • Gloucestershire

Posted 17 May 2019 - 13:03

Grieg's 'The Last Spring'. Might be a bit hard, but is utterly gorgeous. I was at a concert and the pianist playing the concerto came on at the end and did this as an encore. It is just about my favourite piece of music so I left very satisfied! A fantastic bonus. I was at the concert with my boys' piano teacher and asked, 'Didn't Bobifier used to play this?' She was adamant that he hadn't, but it turned out he had. I guess she goes through a lot of pupils and a lot of pieces!

Who is Bobifer?  Should I know, or am I displaying my ignorance?

#26 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2813 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 01 June 2019 - 16:20

Bobifier used to post on here, and is one of my sons.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Nature, piano music