#1 pianoandy

pianoandy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Member: 116222

Posted 19 June 2019 - 21:25

Hi all
Having passed my DipABRSM on the horn last Christmas at the age of 53 my appetite has been wetted to do the piano. My proposed programme is

Beethoven pathetique
Faure impromptu no 1
Prokofiev visions fugitives 8,14,19,20
Makholm impressions 1 and 2

Any thoughts ? Also it may be right on the time limit so has anyone over run time limit by a minute or 2 and got away with it.
Thanks

#2 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:11

Have you timed the whole programme (including gaps between pieces), rather than the individual works? ABRSM differs from Trinity in this respect.

You also have a leeway of +/– 10% of the 35 minutes recital time (I'm sure you know all this already having done a dipABRSM before – well done!).

I get the impression that the examiners are fairly reasonable in this respect and will only intervene or deduct marks if over-running is gratuitous. I was right on the limit for own choice works when I took my exam and may have been over, but it wasn't a problem.

If you are worried, then could you drop the Prokofiev from the final programme? You could always learn then now and decide what to do later.

#3 pianoandy

pianoandy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Member: 116222

Posted 22 June 2019 - 11:03

Thanks Clovis. Great suggestion to drop the Prokofiev. I think the timings would work given 31.5 minutes is the minimum ! By the way it was Faure Barcarolle no 1 not impromptu ! I'm thinking classical Beethoven pathetique sonata, romantic lyrical Faure barcarolle and modern jazzy impressions by Makholm should be enough contrast. Any thoughts Thanks again.andy

#4 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17642 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 22 June 2019 - 17:44

Ah I wondered if it might be the Barcarolle.  I learned that couple of years ago. A favourite of mine. Its a good programme mix.  goodLuck.gif  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Diploma