Witzend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Member: 892899
  • Kingston on Thames

Posted 08 August 2017 - 17:16

Didn't know Raleigh did them! Have thought of a G-tech. We have Richmond Park very close by, but are also at the top of a big hill, so whichever way you go around the park, there is a steep hill to negotiate.
Might go with Dh now and then if I had assistance!
He is a keen biker - did the Prudential 46 mile round London one last week in under 3 hours. Not bad for an old b---er with a Big birthday coming up....

#17 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6000 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 15 August 2017 - 21:56

Just reporting back on this. The bike is now fully charged up and had its first outing today - only down the end of the village and back in between the rain showers, but I didn't dare risk too much due to a back injury that is not yet resolved. It seems I am a rustier rider than I thought. I had a few wobbles to begin with and OH yelling down the road at me to cycle on the left, not the right (!) and I nearly fell off once when gears, modes and me couldn't get co-ordinated at the bottom of a hill.I can't remember the last time I rode a bike, but it must be well over a decade ago.

It's a dream going uphill! - very little effort at all, and you can choose how much effort to put in by selecting how much the motor assists you. I've always had a phobia about hills, but now I just sail up. Next step is to buy a basket / carrier, a new helmet, and a secure lock and then I can go to my flute lessons on it. All in all, very pleased.smile.png

Edit: some feedback on some of the earlier posts. Yes, it's quite heavy, although on the lighter side for an electric model. Pleased that it has built in front and back lights, and also a chainguard so I don't have to worry about bicycle clips. The battery sits over the back wheel, which means the saddle won't go down as far as I would like, but I can work round that. I haven't yet worked out how to take the battery off, though, and I will need to do that as - despite having a power point in the shed where it will live - it's supposed to be stored at a not-too-low temperature. It's protected by a key, so not likely to be too much of a focus for battery thieves. 

#18 Vicky Violin

Vicky Violin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Member: 112435

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:16

Ah brilliant - glad you are pleased with it and it's doing the job on those hills!  Happy cycling!

#19 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6000 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 01 September 2017 - 18:58

Ho hum. I suppose it had to happen at some point. First crash today.

DH and DS thought it was hilarious, since I went splat just outside the house.

Feeling a bit bruised and battered....sad.png

I did get straight back on afterwards, though.smile.png

#20 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2017 - 20:09

#21 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4667 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:03

Well done Misterioso for getting back on the horse (er, bike). I hope you are feeling OK today. thereThere.gif Have you given the bike a name? What colour is it? Maybe we could suggest one?

#22 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6000 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:12

Well done Misterioso for getting back on the horse (er, bike). I hope you are feeling OK today. thereThere.gif Have you given the bike a name? What colour is it? Maybe we could suggest one?

Hmmm, I'm a bit stiff today and it didn't do my not-yet-resolved back injury any good.

The manufacturers call it lilac, but in fact it's more mauve, really. I've thought of naming it, but haven't settled on anything. Suggest away! smile.png

#23 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4667 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 02 September 2017 - 13:27

Purple stuff then. Errr.. Buddleia, Rhubarb, Foxglove....? unsure.png

#24 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6000 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 02 September 2017 - 17:02

Buddy could be quite nice as an abbreviated version of Buddleia - but for some reason with which I am totally unacquainted, Molly seems to fit her quite well.smile.png

#25 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 02 September 2017 - 18:10

Buddy could be quite nice as an abbreviated version of Buddleia - but for some reason with which I am totally unacquainted, Molly seems to fit her quite well.smile.png

Misty, as an abbreviation of your forum name.

#26 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6000 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:11

Misty, as an abbreviation of your forum name.

Like it! biggrin.png

#27 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:37

I recommend getting some cycling mitts if you don't already have some - they are great for protecting your hands in any sort of spill and also give you a bit of padding on the handlebars. I cycle a lot and never go anywhere without them (or full gloves in winter, of course).

louis-garneau-1-calory-mitts-black-Red-E

#28 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6000 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:51

Thanks for the suggestion, LoneM. Will look into these. smile.png

#29 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted 17 July 2019 - 16:26

I dug around in the murky depths of the forum cafe to find this thread. Hope no-one minds.

I'd be interested to know how those who posted earlier are getting on now.

I bought my first e-bike or pedelec when I turned seventy. We live in a hilly region which means 8% as soon as I get our of the garage.

It was a Raleigh and did me good service. Five years and 6,500kms later, I bought a Bergmont which is slightly more powerful, though, like the Raleigh, it only helps up to a speed of 26 k.p.h. Here, the faster ones (up to 40 k.p.h) need a moped number plate and a license. The Bergamont now has over 7000 kms on the clock. Nothing to write home about but a lot of fun. According to my EXCEL table, I have done 148612 m altitude but it sounds an awful lot to me so I wouldn't swear to it.  I've done 1000m in one day though, so maybe it's right. There  are plenty of hills around here to practice on. As someone earlier in the thread said, starting and stopping are the bits which are most different from normal biking and if the bike 'leans over' it is hard to hold it. I always wear biking kit (visibilty and comfort), a helmet (safety) and padded biking gloves (protection)!

I warmly recommend an e-bike for anyone who likes riding but either because of the area they live in or due to the passage of time, is grateful for a bit of help sometimes. However, they are really heavy, especially with the akku on. Mr G uses a much lighter gravel bike when we go out together so if we get into trains with steps into the compartment, Mr. G. lifts mine and I lift his. Same goes if his navigating takes us to 'interesting' areas. He pushes mine and I push his.

It's a great way to see the scenery.