Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 05 July 2019 - 11:00

I played this piece in a music festival in about 1977, and the day before yesterday I bought the Peters Urtext (of the whole suite - I also had an edition of the whole suite 42 years ago).

I was shocked to find that (memory issues aside) the version I played 43 years ago was probably simplified. I wonder which edition it was. 

Afaicr, it was in A minor, whereas the Peters is in F# minor, but one's memory can play tricks with the key sig. The version I played probably wasn't 8 pages, but the real clincher is that I remember a fortissimo octaves bridge before repeating the main theme, which isn't in the Peters edition.

#2 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6177 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 05 July 2019 - 11:38

I wonder if it was in a compilation book that was an old edition? I wonder this because I know that some old books contained editions that took great liberties- my partner was playing something out of one of these, compared it to the original, and found that it had been heavily edited with some stuff removed and new stuff added. He found that this was the case for several pieces in the book.

#3 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17682 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 05 July 2019 - 14:36

Yes its definitely in F#Minor, my favourite key !  Quite tricky to play too.

#4 jch48

jch48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Member: 25823
  • East Midlands

Posted 05 July 2019 - 15:59

I like it too. I've forgotten I'm learning it. Not looked at it for 2 weeks. I decided I should get beyond sight-reading the 1st page and not be put off by the 3 against 4 bits

#5 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 08 July 2019 - 13:57

A useful thing to know about this piece is the definition of staccato on the piano.

Play every staccato note exactly half the length written. That means very slow counted-out practice for the LH until you can play it like that full speed.

I feel the need to explain this because I have, or had, a CD of a professional playing the left hand staccatissimo, and it sounds dreadful that way.