11 replies to this topic

#1 HarpyMum

HarpyMum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Member: 222758

Posted 10 March 2011 - 15:45

Hi everyone, I was searching for a harp forum on ABRSM without any luck and I thought well...I will just contact them myself and "hey presto" they created one! how efficient! we can all enjoy chatting about our lovely harps !
Regards from Emily-lou's mum!

#2 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6732 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 10 March 2011 - 16:04

Hello! welcome.gif

I am not a harpist, I am sure some will be along soon. They have in the past always used the Viva Strings forum - along with the guitarists and the bowed stringers smile.gif So that's why you haven't been able to see them!

#3 Collyermum

Collyermum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Member: 68406
  • North-east

Posted 10 March 2011 - 17:50

Wow! We've got our own forum again! There used to be one in the past but I don't think it got used enough so they deleted it.

We need to make sure it gets used enough.

So does anyone here have a Pilgrim pedal harp and can tell me anything about them, please? I kind of fell in love with them when I was down there in half term, despite having said I would never play pedal harp... but my teacher isn't overly keen on Pilgrim's pedal harps. So can anyone tell me their thoughts on them, please? I know lots of people DO love them...

#4 Shaolin_monkey

Shaolin_monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Member: 10075

Posted 12 March 2011 - 00:43

Woohoo!!! Our own forum!

#5 Guest: SueHM_*

Guest: SueHM_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:06

We have a Pilgrim Malvern on order, arriving in the next couple of months. What's not to like?!

#6 Collyermum

Collyermum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • North-east

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:37

QUOTE(SueHM @ Mar 12 2011, 09:06 AM)  

We have a Pilgrim Malvern on order, arriving in the next couple of months. What's not to like?!

How exciting! Can I ask how long the lead time was on it, and what finish etc you have ordered? (can we see a picture when it arrives?) I really want an Aldeburgh when finances permit...

#7 Princesslaughton

Princesslaughton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Member: 236040
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:46

Hello

I have been playing the Harp for about a year but had to stop as I could not afford the rental. I am nearly in a position to get a new harp and I cannot wait.

I am playing my recorders to make sure I can keep up to date with music reading.

I am so pleased we have a little bit of forum space.

Helen x

#8 Collyermum

Collyermum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • North-east

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:46

Hi Helen

Welcome to the Harp forum! That's great you are about to start again. smile.gif

What kind of harp did you play? Pedal or lever I mean? And what type of harp (make, model, we love harp stories, its once or twice in a lifetime..!) are you planning to get?

Sounds exciting. And are you going back to the same teacher?

Nice to have you join us. Do tell us your harp story so far. I play a Triplett Signature lever harp but have leanings towards one day getting a pilgrim Aldeburgh. But in the meantime am loving my lever harp. I've been playing it for a year and absolutely love it. As you can see from my signature, I've played lots of other instruments and am supposed to be playing the piano still but as I can't afford lessons on that as well at the moment its taking a bit of a back seat blush.gif

#9 maryw

maryw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Member: 12671

Posted 18 April 2011 - 21:07

Collyermum, sorry, I am the proud owner of an Aldeburgh. You are right, they are beautiful - worth saving up for rolleyes.gif

#10 LizzieHarp

LizzieHarp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Member: 247836

Posted 19 May 2011 - 21:48

I have a Pilgrim Malvern, and am so in love with it. It's just a stunning instrument and sounds so beautiful. Really light and compact as well, which helps when moving it around. Why doesn't your teacher like them, Collyermum? Have they played a Malvern/Aldeburgh? They're quite different from their other older makes of pedal harp.

#11 Guest: SueHM_*

Guest: SueHM_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 19 May 2011 - 22:10

QUOTE(Collyermum @ Mar 12 2011, 09:37 AM)  

QUOTE(SueHM @ Mar 12 2011, 09:06 AM)  

How exciting! Can I ask how long the lead time was on it, and what finish etc you have ordered? (can we see a picture when it arrives?) I really want an Aldeburgh when finances permit...

Still waiting... and I ordered it via my teacher in October. Sigh. I love the darker wood finishes, but we were advised that they show every mark much more so than the lighter woods, so we have gone with the maple finish, with a gold line around the edge of the soundboard. Not that I have any intention of selling it again, but the less personalisation the better from that point of view.

I have a Camac pedal harp on loan at the moment, and it is pretty dire - can’t hold a tuning for more than a few hours, and the sound is rather dull. I can’t work up much enthusiasm for playing it. Not sure if it is a poor instrument or just hasn’t been properly looked after.

#12 Collyermum

Collyermum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • North-east

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:57

QUOTE(LizzieHarp @ May 19 2011, 10:48 PM)  

I have a Pilgrim Malvern, and am so in love with it. It's just a stunning instrument and sounds so beautiful. Really light and compact as well, which helps when moving it around. Why doesn't your teacher like them, Collyermum? Have they played a Malvern/Aldeburgh? They're quite different from their other older makes of pedal harp.

Glad to hear that. I got my teacher to try them again at the Edinburgh Harp Festival and she agreed with me that their Aldeburgh was their best. I think she still likes the Lyon and Healy better, probably because that is what she has had for a long time. I prefer the Aldeburgh though, I like their more mellow sound, love the look and especially the price!

Actually if I ever get one, I would like the soundboard painted in a wisteria design which has special meaning for me and I think would look lovely with a walnut finish.

Sorry to hear your Malvern is taking so long, SueHM. That isn't what they say at their workshops, very disappointing. Have they said why? Who have you ordered it through? (Helen?) I wonder if it is quicker, if a bit more expensive to order direct. There's no knowing, can't exactly order two and buy the first one to show up!