Photo

How to acknowledge my long-term leavers?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 funkiepiano

funkiepiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Member: 15203

Posted 20 June 2019 - 17:17

Next month I have 4 high-flying students who are all leaving me for pastures new. Apart from one they have been with me over 10 years. 3 have taken Grade 8 with me, the other chose not to do exams but has amazing ability. 3 of them are going on to some sort of higher study in music so clearly their lessons with me have been a huge part of their lives. I’d like to acknowledge these 4 lads (yes they’re all lads!) in some way at my end-of-term concert, any ideas? Without setting up a precedent that I have to give every single future leaver a gift! Thanks

#2 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2211 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 20 June 2019 - 17:43

Wouldn't a few warm words at the concert, telling the audience about their future plans and mentioning any particular high points, be enough? I don't tend to give my leaving students cards or presents, but if I did I would do it privately at their final lesson. I did once give a Parent of the Year ( decade ) Award, but that was for an exceptional Piano Mum, whose 3 boys I had taught over a period of 12 years. That was very much a one-off. I don't really like it when a concert becomes combined with an Awards Ceremony, though I know some teachers like to do this.

#3 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2817 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 20 June 2019 - 18:22

Get them to play something for eight hands! My boys' teacher gave a gift to those who stuck it out until they left school.

#4 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4614 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 20 June 2019 - 19:21

I did a certificate for someone once, listing all their achievements (musical and humorous) over the years. Including the cute things they said when they were small "I can't find my pulse today" and "I can't rub my theory homework out again - there's no paper left!"

#5 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4045 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 20 June 2019 - 21:50

Agree with Helen, a few warm words acknowledging their hard work and wishing them well for the future is all that is necessary.

If anything they should be giving you acknowledgement for helping them get to where they are today.

#6 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1386 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 20 June 2019 - 23:57

Absolutely in agreement with BadStrad - they are the ones that should be giving the prizes to you, their teacher!
In these circumstances I have been given some amazing gifts - but the lovely messages in the cards are the best thing.

#7 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7815 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:11

I have said a few words at the end of year concert- almost always pushing back the tears. I have given an anthology of pieces chosen with the particular pupil in mind - just something to encourage them to go on exploring music. But I give the present at the last lesson, not in public - with one notable exception - my one and only Grade 7. That was a couple of years ago when he was the only one leaving and was a very popular  young man  much admired by my other pupils. He gave me a hug and  a lovely bouquet and made a little speech thanking me - it was a surprise that got the tears welling up  yet again.

I know how you fee funkiepiano. Life moves on rather hectically for these young people but they will never forget you.