jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2809 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 15 January 2019 - 15:51

I was teaching a very young piano pupil yesterday and we started to talk about people who are musicians - I was a bit startled when I realised that she didn't think of me as a musician! Turned out that she thought only people who play 'other instruments' are called musicians. When I asked what I was, she said 'a piano player'. rolleyes.gif  

#2 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 16 January 2019 - 17:21

Just had a message from student's mum saying she's got a sore throat and won't be coming today. She ends the message with"sorry for unconvincing!". Presumably spell check altered it from inconvenience but seeing as this family cancel frequently the unconvincing seems more appropriate!

#3 The Great Sosso

The Great Sosso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Member: 887899

Posted 08 February 2019 - 14:15

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread to say that yesterday I had a little girl come for her piano lesson, and she clearly had not practised.  When I asked if there was a reason she hadn't practised, she said "My Mum was in Manchester".  Of course I asked, "Did Mum take the piano to Manchester with her?"  

I think this is the most hilarious excuse I have ever heard.

TGS X

#4 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2809 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 08 February 2019 - 14:57

What was her answer? It could of course be that because mum was away, the family routine changed and maybe piano practice wasn't done as a result. 

#5 The Great Sosso

The Great Sosso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Member: 887899

Posted 08 February 2019 - 21:10

Yes, jenny, it was just the fact that routine was lost and Dad didn't enforce music practice (or homework, apparently!) whilst Mum was away.  It tickled me that the little girl thought it was a good excuse, but when I pointed out that she could have played the piano even though Mum wasn't there, she gave a little guilty giggle.  It was funny but also slightly annoying, as she has been learning for nearly three years and really by now should be able to get on with it herself.  She's a funny child - much more capable than she thinks, but far too happy to be spoon fed - hence, relying on Mum to make her practise (and relying on me to show her where to put her hands at the beginning of pieces that she really knows already).  She's my only one to complete Piano Adventures book 1 and then go on to book 2A.  I usually find the pace of these books after book 1 too slow, but it suits her down to the ground.

#6 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:04

Pupil complaining that her mum was really old:

Me: I'm older than your mum

Pupil: (obvious disbelief) laughing, my mum is FORTY

Me: How old do you think I am?

Pupil: (after some consideration) 19!

#7 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3700 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 12 June 2019 - 12:28

Pupil in middle of lesson at school today looked in mirror and said "I haven't made a very good job of my eyeshadow . It looks too pink."
Obviously the lesson wasn't a priority!

#8 Gazzcool

Gazzcool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Member: 897848

Posted 12 June 2019 - 20:11

Student: "Why are there little hashtags there?" 

Me: “First of all, the symbol you are referring to is not called a hashtag, it's called a hash, and it's a tag, hence why you say 'hashtag'" 

Student: "But why are they on the page?” 

Me: "That's not a hash, it's a sharp sign." 

Student:"so the hashtag is a sharp?" 

Me:"It's not a hashtag, it's just a sharp sign" 

Student:"why do they use the symbol for hashtag to mean sharp?" 

Me:”It’s not a hashtag symbol, it’s a sharp symbol. It's been a sharp sign much longer than it's been a hashtag, Mozart never tweeted anything!" 

Student:"hashtag F, that's funny" 

Me: "IT'S NOT A HASHTAG!"

#9 -Victoria-

-Victoria-

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Member: 95535

Posted 12 June 2019 - 20:21

I have a "hashtag" boy who also talks about "clicking on" piano keys rather than pressing them.????

#10 funkiepiano

funkiepiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Member: 15203

Posted 17 June 2019 - 18:44

I once taught a boy who thought sharps were called sharks, & said things like “That note’s an F shark, it’s got bitey teeth!” ????????

#11 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 17 June 2019 - 19:39

I have one who insists its a hashtag - but then he also thinks the bass clef is a sad face and keeps asking why the left hand notes are sad!