159 replies to this topic

#136 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17647 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 31 May 2019 - 14:37

Finished the Roald Dahl Short Stories  (Adult) Vol1 and will start Vol 2 shortly.. Vol one I found rather mixed, with some good and some bad.   In the meantime I am nearly through some short stories by American author Elizabeth McCracken. The collection called 'Thunderstruck'  . Mostly rubbish though 'Thunderstruck' itself is the last one. That will be tonights bedtime reading

#137 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1969 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 16 June 2019 - 22:46

Anne of Ingleside by L M Montgomery

#138 stetenorve

stetenorve

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3266 posts
  • Member: 60099
  • Bolsover, Chesterfield.

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:20

The Waterloo Campaign - Mercer

#139 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4914 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:54

Have recently finished Burial Rites by Hannah (?) Kent, about the last execution in Iceland; then Bitter Orange (Claire Fuller) about a middle-aged lonely woman who is befriended by a dysfunctional married couple. One of the couple has a rather on-off relationship with factual truth, and I found myself huffing with impatience at the lead protagonist, but it was a page-turner.

It is something of a relief to get stuck into Mort. Never been able to get into Pratchett but I'm enjoying this (and needed something funny for a change).

#140 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 17 June 2019 - 13:55

I've read a couple of Val McDermids recently (as well as two or three in the past), but the more I read of her, the more I dislike her.

One was something to do with the Mutiny on the Bounty (can't remember the name), and the other was Insidious Intent (2017).

All of her books have interchangeable titles, though, so it's pretty much impossible for me to remember what I've read.

She tries too hard to get down with the kids and the nerds, and her references to IT and yoof culture just read like someone's granny has been Googling too much.

#141 Witzend

Witzend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Member: 892899
  • Kingston on Thames

Posted 18 June 2019 - 14:30

I was recently given a 2nd hand copy of Berlin Diary, by William L Shirer, an American journalist who was there in the run up to WW2.
Our original copy was my father's from way back, but it had gone missing. It was an un-put-downable read, so I was v glad to revisit it.

After that I ordered his Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, which he wrote after having access to a mass of records after the war.,

I don't usually read or enjoy this sort of thing, not a fan of historical non fiction in general, but found it just as riveting, if not more so.
It's a very fat book, so I got it on my Kindle. Can't cope with doorstop books!
Dh has since read it, and although he's usually a very slow reader, whizzed through it in (for him) record time.

#142 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1969 posts
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 11 November 2019 - 00:16

2018 Guide to the Night Sky by Storm Dunlop and Wil Tirion

#143 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 11 November 2019 - 02:53

Once in a lifetime by Chrissie Manby. It is very hard to put down. 

#144 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 11 November 2019 - 17:35

I've gotten on a Rudyard Kipling kick.  I recently finished Kim.  Now I'm almost done with his anthology The Phantom Rickshaw.  (As a Freemason I got a good laugh out of The Man Who Would Be King.)

Kipling was my father's favourite author.  I can't say he's my favourite (a little too imperialistic at times) but he's a fun read when taken in the context of his times.

#145 thara96

thara96

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Member: 898080
  • UK

Posted 11 November 2019 - 17:44

What do you recommend for Christmas? I am slowly getting in the festive mood. 

#146 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:59

I've gotten on a Rudyard Kipling kick.  I recently finished Kim.  Now I'm almost done with his anthology The Phantom Rickshaw.  (As a Freemason I got a good laugh out of The Man Who Would Be King.)

Kipling was my father's favourite author.  I can't say he's my favourite (a little too imperialistic at times) but he's a fun read when taken in the context of his times.

Kim is a fabulous novel. I've also got a DVD of it with Peter O'Toole which I love, although it's highly problematic too.

As to Kipling's Imperialism, I've never felt sure how much of it is cynical. The Man Who seems to me to be a parody of imperialism.

#147 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1969 posts
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 12 November 2019 - 15:20

Silence and Honey Cakes: The wisdom of the desert by Rowan Williams

#148 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17647 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 12 November 2019 - 20:49

'Stalky and Co' was one of my favourite books going back to my school days.

#149 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 13 November 2019 - 14:23

Reserved from the library - Invisible women : exposing data bias in a world designed for men / Criado-Perez, Caroline.

Came recommended from a colleague so I'm looking forward to reading it. Hopefully I'll get to the library on Friday...

#150 ejw21

ejw21

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Member: 820271
  • Skipton, N Yorks

Posted 13 November 2019 - 14:24

Have just finished Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell, for a book club. I don't normally go for psychological thrillers, but this was really good, had me hooked so I finished it in about 4 days.