#61 blueglasses

blueglasses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Member: 895418

Posted 02 June 2016 - 14:03

I am an ex music examiner

For which examining body, blueglasses, as a matter of interest?

One of the accredited ones-ten years of service-it's a system of battery hens going through a procedure that is supposed to produce quality musicians.

The AP in the States?

Maybe the exam system for which you claim to be an ex-examiner was "supposed to produce quality musicians", but here in the UK, I think it's the combined efforts of a skilled teacher and a dedicated pupil which normally lead to a musician.  The exam system merely tests the pupil at various stages along the way.

i DO not claim to be one, I was one! I examined for one of the accredited music exam boards in the UK! I am UK born and bred.

#62 blueglasses

blueglasses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 14:05

Exam entries have nothing to do with producing well rounded musicians,

Hmmm, and yet you assume from *my* lack of music qualifications that I am a (theory) novice. Interesting?

I am not assuming anything about you as I do not know you from Adam and I am 1000% correct, Exams have nothing to do with producing an all-rounded musician.

#63 blueglasses

blueglasses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 14:13

I wonder if the OP is an ex-examiner because he rocked the boat too hard, and we know what happens when you do that. . . ;)

Be assured it was my choice to relinquish my role as an ex examiner like others have done. Be aware of what you are implying!

#64 blueglasses

blueglasses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 14:15

Do NOT presume that I am assuming anything about you

May I ask how else ought I to interpret your assertion that my music credentials are basic?

As for resting on the names of others, what is the difference between my pointing out the pedigree of my teacher and you asserting that "all" the books you've so kindly listed are "excellent?"

Stick to the task at hand instead of using your teacher's associates for your benefit.

#65 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4060 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 02 June 2016 - 14:33

To return to at least the vague direction of the original question - I do wonder why BG thinks that sight and sound are separated in the UK? That is certainty not my experience. Obviously a book can not make sounds, unless it is an electronic edition, but it isn't hard to play the examples provided and I would imagine that teachers and students *do* play the examples to hear the chord/cadence/etc.

Does anyone else feel that the disconnect betweeen sight and sound is the case in their teaching, or as their experience a pupil?

#66 blueglasses

blueglasses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 14:58

To return to at least the vague direction of the original question - I do wonder why BG thinks that sight and sound are separated in the UK? That is certainty not my experience. Obviously a book can not make sounds, unless it is an electronic edition, but it isn't hard to play the examples provided and I would imagine that teachers and students *do* play the examples to hear the chord/cadence/etc.

Does anyone else feel that the disconnect betweeen sight and sound is the case in their teaching, or as their experience a pupil?

The moment a pedagogue chooses to teach the UK graded/diploma exam system of music theory/tonal harmony, they are immediately guilty of the disconnect between "the eye and ear philosophy" unless that pedagogue supplements an integrated music theory course. You are so naiive when you say it isn't hard to play the examples provided-It is downright hard as many students/teachers do not possess a sufficiently expert piano level to perform the extracts. There is no better way to become expert in a secured and developed sense of audiation unless one is aided by an integrated theory of music/tonal harmony course. I plead with all professing pedagogues/instructors to try to read the Instructor's Manuals that correlate with international theory of music/tonal harmony texts which reveal wonderful ideas, strategies and sound advice as to the most musical ways to train the eye and ear-not one without the other.

Until the music theory syllabus currently being offered by the accredited UK music exam boards  is revised and brought to the standard and detail of international offerings, we will always be the poorer guy.

Many teachers and students only tackle the audiation aspect of instrumental lessons/theory of music/tonal harmony a few weeks before a grade/diploma practical/theoretical exam is due and I wonder how many teachers will admit that!

#67 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1923 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 03 June 2016 - 00:23

One of the accredited ones-ten years of service-it's a system of battery hens going through a procedure that is supposed to produce quality musicians.

The AP in the States?

Maybe the exam system for which you claim to be an ex-examiner was "supposed to produce quality musicians", but here in the UK, I think it's the combined efforts of a skilled teacher and a dedicated pupil which normally lead to a musician.  The exam system merely tests the pupil at various stages along the way.

i DO not claim to be one, I was one! I examined for one of the accredited music exam boards in the UK! I am UK born and bred.

Of course what you say may be true, and I'm not saying it's not, but I'm sure you will appreciate that anyone can claim to be anything on an internet forum - that's just a statement of fact, not a comment on your claim.

#68 Neumer

Neumer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Member: 77838
  • UK

Posted 03 June 2016 - 01:29

Well I very rarely comment on these forums very often these days (and I really should try harder) but, my word BG, you're more than running the risk of alienating yourself completely and lessening any worth of information you bring. You simply shouldn't approach such a wonderfully diverse and knowledgeable group in such a way. Noone knows completely who one interacts with online, or their full background or experience. However, professional attitudes should always shine through in interaction (and on a public forum too) and perhaps you should be mindful of that.

N. 

#69 EdGJ

EdGJ

Advanced Member

• ABRSM Super Mod
  • 338 posts
  • Member: 10724
  • London

Posted 03 June 2016 - 07:12

Hi everyone,

Please ensure that you bear in mind the forum rules in relation to tone of voice when posting - we would prefer to keep topics open, if at all possible, but we will close them if we feel that the friendly and supportive nature of the forums is being undermined.

Thanks,

Ed

#70 blueglasses

blueglasses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:47

The AP in the States?

Of course what you say may be true, and I'm not saying it's not, but I'm sure you will appreciate that anyone can claim to be anything on an internet forum - that's just a statement of fact, not a comment on your claim.

I totally understand what you are saying as anyone can claim anything on the internet and who knows what is true etc...

Many other colleagues know that I am telling the truth here and an internet forum tends to reveal very interesting things.

#71 blueglasses

blueglasses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:55

Well I very rarely comment on these forums very often these days (and I really should try harder) but, my word BG, you're more than running the risk of alienating yourself completely and lessening any worth of information you bring. You simply shouldn't approach such a wonderfully diverse and knowledgeable group in such a way. Noone knows completely who one interacts with online, or their full background or experience. However, professional attitudes should always shine through in interaction (and on a public forum too) and perhaps you should be mindful of that.

N. 

The informational and international resources I have divulged to others will NOT be lessened when the informational content is already well renowned throughout the world despite it not being as well known in the UK.

No one knows when it comes to the internet who is knowledgeable and who holds a diverse and cosmopolitan attitude when it comes to music resources .Please remember that you are not talking to a naughty school child here but a professional pedagogue of thirty one years, ex music examiner for one of the accredited music exam boards and you need to be mindful of this!

People are NOT as knowledgeable and diverse as you seem to think......

#72 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4060 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:49

People are NOT as knowledgeable and diverse as you seem to think......

How incredible that you were able to judge us and come to that conclusion in just over seven days. How on earth did we keep Neumer fooled for almost seven years?

#73 blueglasses

blueglasses

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 13:51

I have taught the piano and its associated subjects for thirty one years, I have toured as a music examiner, I have passed and failed candidates in my role as a grade and diploma examiner so I think I have a good idea as to what makes a successful pedagogue.

All I have done on this site is to bring informational content to others who perhaps may not know of the wonderful resources available.

I am not here to make personal comments to anyone on site so I have no idea why you are stating on site that you are now feeling judged. Perhaps you are now feeling threatened by others? I have no idea as to your meaning of the last sentence so I pay no attention to that.

#74 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4060 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 15:21

As a teacher of many years myself, I'm not threatened by someone who posts like a petulent teenager.

I am sure if you had displayed the maturity of your claimed years of professional experience this could have been a fascinating and informative addition to ViolinGeek's discussion, instead your aggressive responses have probably alienated those who would have otherwise engaged.

Such as shame.

#75 Hildegard

Hildegard

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts
  • Member: 887389

Posted 03 June 2016 - 15:34

All I have done on this site is to bring informational content to others who perhaps may not know of the wonderful resources available.

You have recommended books that will give students the wrong answer in their exams (be they theory, GCSE music, A-level music or University entrance exams) and you have attempted (but failed) to rubbish a standard textbook that gives students the right answer.

BIG HINT: when asked to identify chord Ic, there will be no marks in any of these exams for saying "Ic is not a chord".

If that is the sign of a "successful pedagogue", I'm a Dutchman.   :D  We all need to think first and foremost of our students and remember that explanations often have to be kept simple for relative beginners.

The whole point about Anna Butterworth's book for the ABRSM is that it is written for the UK exam system. American textbooks, however wonderful they might be, are not.