132 replies to this topic

#31 Guest: Very Sane Tom_*

Guest: Very Sane Tom_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:57

QUOTE(Arundodonuts @ Mar 15 2013, 08:49 PM) View Post

Personally I prefer Jimmy Choo, which are clearly excellent working shoes too:

I can't agree. From the way she is holding the wrench, her posture and the position of her right arm there is no way that wheel nut is ever going to loosen.

Perhaps she'd do better in Malono Blahniks ?

#32 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4915 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 17 March 2013 - 19:32

QUOTE(Very Sane Tom @ Mar 17 2013, 10:57 AM) View Post

Perhaps she'd do better in Malono Blahniks ?

That must be an Irish subsidiary.

#33 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2214 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:16

I'd like to nominate this for my favourite post of the day, mainly because it's so wonderfully bonkers smile.gif

https://forums.abrsm.org...showtopic=53198

( Sorry - haven't worked out how to transfer the whole quote.. duh..)

#34 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7818 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:21

QUOTE(HelenVJ @ Mar 18 2013, 11:16 AM) View Post

I'd like to nominate this for my favourite post of the day, mainly because it's so wonderfully bonkers smile.gif

How about pencil and paper?

#35 linda.ff

linda.ff

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8034 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:54

QUOTE(Aquarelle @ Mar 18 2013, 10:21 AM) View Post

QUOTE(HelenVJ @ Mar 18 2013, 11:16 AM) View Post

How about pencil and paper?

They're for sending to the pupils, Aquarelle, I email them. They also act as my preparation notes for the next lesson, a lesson record to check back on - in some cases to verify that there definitely was a lesson on such and sucj a date because there's a note. So I want a thoroughly written out report, not a scribble. I know someone on here a while back said that they write their notes on the fly in the lesson in legible handwriting and complete sentences. I am to engrossed in teaching and interacting with the pupil to do this. I don't have time at the end of the lesson, with the next pupil already there and both mums suddenly wanting to ask me something about the exam or the holidays or buying a new book or changing the time for next week, and I have never got into the habit of teaching for 25 minutes and writing notes for the last 5.

Three other reasons: my handwriting is illagible to anyone but me

If you saw the amount of paper already floating around this room already, you wouldn't have bothered asking laugh.gif

The notes get sent to the parent, sometimes to the parent and also the child. Parents often want to know what their child has been doing so that they can support their practice, and if there's been a new concept in the lesson I will sometimes feel the need to explain it in the note - I also write reminders about scales etc because some children come back and say they've forgotten how I showed it to them. I also have documents and diagrams about some things (tones/semitones, circles of 5ths, checklist for g1 sight-reading, compound time...) which can be sent through MTH via the File Area; and as many of you know I make videos of pieces, sometimes in the lesson with the child holding the camera, and they have their own video page on my own website so that they don't have to search through hundreds to find the one I want them to see (yes, sometimes I do just embed one from YouTube - I had to do that last year when I broke my wrist)

I have it down to a fine art now - the method has developed by trial and error, and will probably be a lot quicker once MTH has solved its many teething problems; I'd like it not to have nearly so many stages. With a few exceptions, each note takes about 10-12 minutes from start to finish. You may call it bonkers, HelenVJ, I call it thorough. It takes FAR less time than my planning used to when I was teaching classes! And the many replies I get each week from parents tell me how much they appreciate it smile.gif . I can do them in my own time, curled up on the sofa and reading a bit of a book in between each one if I'm flagging.

I always used to just write and send the notes in an email anyway (called it the eNag) but this way it gets integrated with all the rest of the admin (register, accounts, etc)

#36 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7818 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 13:55

Oh well I suppose my method of writing quick notes in the pupil's notebook and quick notes in mine followed up by email if necessary is antedeluvian.

While I am here can anyone enlighten me about how to get a quote from another thread into this one? In words of one syllable please?

#37 linda.ff

linda.ff

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8034 posts
  • Cambridge

Posted 18 March 2013 - 14:17

QUOTE(Aquarelle @ Mar 18 2013, 01:55 PM) View Post

Oh well I suppose my method of writing quick notes in the pupil's notebook and quick notes in mine followed up by email if necessary is antedeluvian.

I doubt if you really suppose that at all, Aquarelle, I think you're just trying to provoke me into saying so biggrin.gif but I don't think so at all. I don't do it my way because it's "modern", I do it for the reasons I already said - I'm no good at "quick" notes that do anything much more than just list what they're doing, my handwriting is so scribbly that typing looks better, I'm no good at stopping in time to do them anyway (not while we're having fun!) so I don't have to hold up the lesson or the next lesson to do them, it gives me time to think about it...

It's what works best for what I want to do. It's still the most efficient* method for me, for the end result I want. Some of my pupils have transferred to me from other teachers, bringing a notebook which the parent has asked me to write in, and I've told them how I prefer to do it - and guess what? Not a single one of them has ever complained and said they'd rather have the notebook. Instead I get mail every week from different parents saying "thank you, those notes are so helpful". So you lot can poke fun and scoff and bray all you like, but I am trying to do the very best I can for my pupils, and I've every reason to believe I'm achieving it. Of course I'd love it to take 90 seconds, but it doesn't.

*Making allowances for the fact that some of the software is still creaking. I'm patiently waiting for that to improve.

#38 Guest: Very Sane Tom_*

Guest: Very Sane Tom_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 18 March 2013 - 15:03

QUOTE(Aquarelle @ Mar 18 2013, 02:55 PM) View Post

While I am here can anyone enlighten me about how to get a quote from another thread into this one? In words of one syllable please?

I tried to give EXACT details, but the brainless software than runs the Forum has no simple way for me to include examples of the text of the markup language without it acting on it.

However, in outline:

Click on Reply in the thread you want to take the quote from
Highlight and cut(CTRL-C on Windoze) the text you want, including the introductory quote marker (with names dates etc.). Does not matter if you cut more than you need.
Click the browser's back button
Click on Reply in the post you wish to reply to
Move the cursor to where you want to insert the quote and insert it - the quote that is (CTRL-V on Windoze)
If you did not copy the closing quote delimiter, then type one in
Delete any part of the quote that you do not need

et viola

#39 Czerny

Czerny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4253 posts
  • Member: 21097

Posted 18 March 2013 - 15:31

QUOTE(Very Sane Tom @ Mar 18 2013, 03:03 PM) View Post

et viola

This is now my favourite post of the day. biggrin.gif

#40 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19929 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 18 March 2013 - 15:35

QUOTE(Czerny @ Mar 18 2013, 03:31 PM) View Post

et viola

laugh.gif

and it only took him a minuet.

#41 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7818 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 17:16

Thank you very much VST. When I get a favourite quote of the day I'll try it!

#42 linda.ff

linda.ff

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8034 posts
  • Cambridge

Posted 18 March 2013 - 18:32

et viola

Sounds like the answer to one of those viola player jokes wink.gif

#43 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17650 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 18 March 2013 - 19:10

QUOTE(linda.ff @ Mar 18 2013, 06:32 PM) View Post

et viola

Sounds like the answer to one of those viola player jokes wink.gif

Like this:-

Letter to an Agony aunt in a women's magazine:

Dear Maggie,

I've just met the man of my dreams. I love him so much. He plays viola in our amateur orchestra. He has made so much progress since leaving prison and his probation officer says that he has finally agreed to help the police locate all the bodies. His mother is still inside for smuggling cocaine and his father is somewhere in Peru being tracked by the CIA for his work with Al-Quaida. His sister lives in Runcorn and is known as 'Miss Easy Lay' and his brother is in Broadmoor.

Next week I want him to meet my parents. Mummy and Daddy are so fussy and rather old fashioned.
I want to tell them everything, but one can only go so far..... do I really have to say that he plays the viola?

#44 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19929 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 19 March 2013 - 15:43

You can tell them what you like - but please leave me out of this! ph34r.gif laugh.gif

#45 JudithJ

JudithJ

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1509 posts
  • Member: 3307

Posted 19 March 2013 - 23:02

What's Made You Happy Today.... ?
QUOTE(linda.ff @ Mar 18 2013, 07:36 PM) View Post
My mother-in-law's in town tonight ready to be taken back to her home by my OH tomorrow. She's been away for a few days staying with her boyfriend.

She's 90. biggrin.gif