#1 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 03 July 2019 - 09:28

I'm thinking about maybe doing an exam at some point, but my aural really needs attention!

I have bought the ABRSM "Aural Training in Practice Grade 6-8" and made a start, but the first test (singing back the upper part of a phrase) goes from (for me) "very easy" to "I need to hear it at least four times" with nothing in between, so I need more help. (I don't need earlier grades, I seem to be fine up to that point.)

Any websites and / or books with CD's that people have found helpful? (Can't be a smartphone app thing as I don't have a smartphone.)

I do like the E Aural Trainer videos on Youtube, and there's a link there to the MusicOnlineUK website https://www.music-on...al-trainer.html - has anyone tried this and is it safe / worth subscribing?

Any other suggestions gratefully received!

#2 hennylemon

hennylemon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:34

No suggestions, just here to say I'm following this thread with great interest...I really struggle with aural. sad.png 

#3 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4944 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 03 July 2019 - 13:27

Did you work through the earlier-grade aural training books?

#4 Amayd

Amayd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Member: 897261

Posted 03 July 2019 - 14:26

Aural skills are not my strong point either. I’ve used e-musicmaestro.com for interactive tests at each grade. Hofnote.com is similar but I prefer the former. You could also try mmcourses.com. This website is called Music Matters and there are some free examples of the videos on YouTube. Each aspect is clearly explained with a few examples.
Alas my aural skills still leave a lot to be desired (especially the singing component) but they would be a whole lot worse if I hadn’t used these resources for self study along with some input from my teacher. So far I’ve managed to scrape a pass in the aural part of the ABRSM exams. I aspire to higher marks but recognise my limitations . Good luck.

#5 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 03 July 2019 - 16:23

I recently used e-musicmaestro to prepare for my ABRSM Grade 8 aural.  One of my students used it for Grade 2.  We both found it very, very helpful.  I would say it's best for practicing lots of examples once you have the basic techniques down - your teacher should probably get you started first.

(No financial interest here, just found it useful.)

#6 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2233 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:34

If you can afford it, nothing beats a few lessons with a real live teacher, particularly in the higher grades. You will get training as well as testing, and specific extra help with the areas that need it - usually sight-singing and answering the questions on the piece in the D Section.

#7 saxStef

saxStef

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Member: 899007

Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:12

I've used a Music Matters course to prepare for my grade 6 aural:
https://www.mmcourses.co.uk/

I found it useful, although I needed to do more practice using the CD's from ABRSM. They also have several free videos on Youtube on other music topics.

#8 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 05 July 2019 - 07:29

Thank you everyone! All the suggestions are very helpful! I think I will give e-music maestro a try first, although I will see what else I can find for free on Youtube as well. I will obviously ask my teacher to help too, but I will see how much I can do by myself as I know I've got to grade 8 in the distant past, and although the requirements seem harder now, I know somewhere in there I do have the ability to do this!

#9 hennylemon

hennylemon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:53

I recently used e-musicmaestro to prepare for my ABRSM Grade 8 aural.  One of my students used it for Grade 2.  We both found it very, very helpful.  I would say it's best for practicing lots of examples once you have the basic techniques down - your teacher should probably get you started first.

(No financial interest here, just found it useful.)

I just had a look at their website and it does seem very good. They seem to have lots of examples. I have the ABRSM aural test apps but the problem with those is that they don't actually have that many examples and if you want to practise quite a bit, you will end up memorising the specimen tests so your statistics are 'improving'.