• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6731 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:17

QUOTE(corenfa @ Feb 19 2012, 05:27 PM) View Post
I definitely didn't notice smile.gif

Something pretty similar happened to me too.
That's actually really useful to know - I certainly didn't notice anything wrong in anything you played. I suppose it is living with these pieces in great detail for so long, you know how they should sound and you notice the wrong bits so hugely. And it's unlikely that everyone - or even anyone - in your audience knows the piece so well as to have the same experience. I wonder if the people who play really well known pieces are extra brave, or if audience ears really are less sensitive than we imagine?!

My husband asked how it went (as the whole thing) and I said it was great, and there were some wonderful pieces of music. And then I had to revise my statement, as I realised that made it sound like some weren't wonderful smile.gif It's really great to look at the programme and see 35+ performances and realise every single one was enjoyable to listen to.
It's also good because there are some things you just don't listen to - see, for example, the thread about music you know you 'ought' to like but don't. There are some things where if I were invited to a three hour concert of X (= composer, genre, etc), I would decline. However, this format has two good things:
1) Five minutes of almost anything is at the very least bearable. I mean, even if it was something you really didn't like, you could probably sit through five minutes of it (with obvious exceptions, say someone was making that noise that always triggers your migraines for five minutes, that probably wouldn't be bearable!!)
2) It does make you realise that you can't really make such sweeping statements as "I despise all X" when you discover you have just listened to and enjoyed a five minute 'dose' of it biggrin.gif

#332 DaisyChain

DaisyChain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Member: 380975
  • Kent

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:30

I've been replaying the recording of my singing over the weekend. In some areas I sound (IMO) flat, and in others it sounds as if I'm struggling with some notes. It's certainly been a revelation as I've never recorded myself before. My teacher wants to hear it and will no doubt give me a post mortem on my performance on Thursday! (If I'm over my bloomin' infection!) ph34r.gif

I thought everyone handled their nerves very well on Saturday. smile.gif

#333 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6167 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:40

QUOTE(Maizie @ Feb 20 2012, 11:17 AM) View Post

QUOTE(corenfa @ Feb 19 2012, 05:27 PM) View Post
I definitely didn't notice smile.gif

Something pretty similar happened to me too.
That's actually really useful to know - I certainly didn't notice anything wrong in anything you played. I suppose it is living with these pieces in great detail for so long, you know how they should sound and you notice the wrong bits so hugely. And it's unlikely that everyone - or even anyone - in your audience knows the piece so well as to have the same experience. I wonder if the people who play really well known pieces are extra brave, or if audience ears really are less sensitive than we imagine?!

Maybe a bit of both? I had the good fortune to be round at someone's and their piano teacher was also there and gave us an impromptu performance of Clair De Lune and a couple of other things. He was playing from memory and not all the notes were there. However, this didn't detract in any way from the rest of the performance. I was only able to notice because I also know that piece from memory.

As for Bach - I went and listened to some more recordings by Andrei Gavrilov and Andras Schiff, and both take considerable liberties with the notes (though I suspect intentionally) especially in the repeats. So, err, it wasn't that I was crashing and burning, I was just err taking liberties with the notes. Honest guv. tongue.gif

Slightly more seriously, there's a great article on Gavrilov and confidence here: http://www.guardian....almusicandopera

#334 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 20 February 2012 - 13:41

QUOTE(Vicky Violin @ Feb 20 2012, 10:44 AM) View Post

Hi all,

Another great concert - thanks again Katyjay for organising it.

Thanks also to every one for the lovely comments - especially the ones saying "Yee haw" smile.gif

Good to see you've managed to get yourself logged in again! And your performance was excellent yay.gif

#335 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 20 February 2012 - 15:23

QUOTE(primrose.piano @ Feb 20 2012, 11:30 AM) View Post

I've been replaying the recording of my singing over the weekend. In some areas I sound (IMO) flat, and in others it sounds as if I'm struggling with some notes. It's certainly been a revelation as I've never recorded myself before. My teacher wants to hear it and will no doubt give me a post mortem on my performance on Thursday! (If I'm over my bloomin' infection!) ph34r.gif

Thanks to gedall for sending the video and for tracking me down after I gave him the wrong email address.
Thanks to jazzycat for agreeing to it being recorded when she'd had so little time with the accompaniment....It's for lesson purposes only.

It's been reviewed today and though most things were favourably commented on (including not reacting to any errors) it earned me a lesson in how to acknowledge applause and bow correctly.....My acknowledgement of my accompanist was apparently good though.

I got home half an hour ago.

#336 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • South East London

Posted 20 February 2012 - 20:44

QUOTE(sbhoa @ Feb 20 2012, 03:23 PM) View Post

Thanks to gedall for sending the video and for tracking me down after I gave him the wrong email address.
Thanks to jazzycat for agreeing to it being recorded when she'd had so little time with the accompaniment....It's for lesson purposes only.

It's been reviewed today and though most things were favourably commented on (including not reacting to any errors) it earned me a lesson in how to acknowledge applause and bow correctly.....My acknowledgement of my accompanist was apparently good though.

How about the camera work? tongue.gif

#337 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Tameside

Posted 20 February 2012 - 20:54

QUOTE(barry-clari @ Feb 20 2012, 08:44 PM) View Post

There WAS a comment about the camera work..... tongue.gif

#338 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • South East London

Posted 20 February 2012 - 20:55

QUOTE(sbhoa @ Feb 20 2012, 08:54 PM) View Post

QUOTE(barry-clari @ Feb 20 2012, 08:44 PM) View Post

There WAS a comment about the camera work..... tongue.gif

I'm not liking the look of that ' tongue.gif ' laugh.gif

#339 gedall40

gedall40

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2075 posts
  • Member: 35143
  • Kenilworth

Posted 20 February 2012 - 21:00

Having spent a little time today editing some of the videos, I can confirm that the camera man has done a good job biggrin.gif .

Many thanks for my video and that of the flute ensemble, Barry.

#340 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • South East London

Posted 20 February 2012 - 21:13

QUOTE(gedall40 @ Feb 20 2012, 09:00 PM) View Post

Having spent a little time today editing some of the videos, I can confirm that the camera man has done a good job biggrin.gif .

Many thanks for my video and that of the flute ensemble, Barry.

Aw, that's good to hear. Glad you liked my camera work! smile.gif

#341 ali bali bee

ali bali bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Member: 380524

Posted 23 February 2012 - 15:24

Having had to leave the event after the interval I have only just received my comments from everyone (Thanks to Jazzycat for picking them up for me and seeing them safely delivered!)

Thank you so much everyone for the lovely comments - it's really put me on a high today (and made me quite emotional)! clarinet.gif biggrin.gif

#342 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22946 posts
  • Tameside

Posted 23 February 2012 - 15:25

Will try to PM the clarinet quartet feedback comments later.

#343 anacrusis

anacrusis

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5516 posts
  • Member: 4852
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 23 February 2012 - 15:48

I've just had sight of the flute group video, thanks for sending that out, Gedall biggrin.gif. Weirdly one programme on my netbook decided to open only the visuals, another the sound, and they weren't quite in time with each other...which gave me the excuse Not To Look when the camera got to the end where the strange been-sat-on wooden flute was tootling wink.gif. It's great to be able to listen back to the experience smile.gif.

Am also still all fluffed-up and happy about the lovely comments envelope - though only two days later I came down to earth with a wallop when trying to sightread some WFBach flute music together with a friend, and fell on my nose, rhythmically speaking, about every two bars rolleyes.gif.

#344 gedall40

gedall40

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2075 posts
  • Member: 35143
  • Kenilworth

Posted 23 February 2012 - 16:06

You are welcome, anacrusis. That strange flute you mention made a lovely sound, though and helped give a nice sound balance to the group.

[Well, I thought so! tongue.gif ]

#345 anacrusis

anacrusis

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5516 posts
  • Member: 4852
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 23 February 2012 - 18:45

aw blush.gif thank you: KJ and andante-in-c helped me to choose that instrument at Greenwich a while ago. I was impressed with the alto flute - I'm guessing it needs to have quite a lot of air put down it to make it sing like that?