Green: The Midlands

Orange: North West England

Purple: Yorkshire and North East England

Blue: Scotland

Brown: Wales

Turquoise: Northern Ireland

-----------------------------------------

JANUARY

Saturday 3: Leeds, West Yorkshire : 1st Players for Pleasure concert, organised by skylark. All standards of musician welcome, choral/ensemble opportunities are available, as well as opportunities to perform solos. website forum thread

Sunday 4: Reigate, Surrey : Repeat recital from the Carousel Clarinet Quartet (Deborah, jo.clarinet, Carl, barry-clari). St Mark's Church, Alma Road, Reigate. Recital starts at 3:30pm. Thread with details in this sub-forum.

Wednesday 21: Eccles, Greater Manchester : Wurlitzer organ recital of light music given by diapason. Lancastrian Theatre Organ Trust Heritage Centre, Peel Green, Eccles. 1pm. All welcome - PM diapason for more details.

Saturday 31: Central London : Woodwind playday, Regent Hall, Oxford Street, London W1. 10am-5pm. Minimum standard grade 5. Flutes, clarinets, oboes, saxophones, bassoons all welcome. Organised by the East London Clarinet Choir website
--------------

FEBRUARY

Sunday 1: Leeds, West Yorkshire: Come and Play Schubert's 8th Symphony 'Unfinished' : The Alcuin School, Bramhope, Leeds. 10am-4pm. Orchestral instruments from grade 5 upwards welcome. website (PDF file)

Saturday 7: Teddington, SW London: Adult Learner's concert, organised by katyjay and AmandaL, Bushy House, National Physical Laboratory, Teddington. 11am - 5pm. Open to all adult learners of musical instruments/voice. Closing date for applications is 5th January 2009 website

Sunday 8: Manchester (central) : Piano day at Chetham's School of Music, in conjunction with the EPTA, for pianists of all ages and standards, tutors are staff from Chetham's. Admission £8 website

Sunday 8 : Leeds, West Yorkshire: Beginners' Orchestra day, for all orchestral instruments. Suitable for approx. just shy of grade 1- grade 2. Bramhope Primary School, Bramhope, Leeds, 1:45pm-4:30pm website (PDF file)

Saturday 21: York, North Yorkshire : Orchestral playday, organised by phantasmagoriana. 12noon-4:45pm, The Friends' Meeting House, Friargate, York, North Yorkshire. Minimum standard grade 2, all music will be provided. A chance to play in an orchestral setting. Open to all string/woodwind/brass players.

Sunday 22: Cardiff, South Wales : 'Come and Sing Elijah' - a chance to sing Mendelssohn's 'Elijah' with the BBC National Orchestra and Chorus of Wales, St. David's Hall, Cardiff. Petrat will be present, a-singing! Closing date 1st February 2009 website

Saturday 28: Fleet, Hampshire : Flute day. Playing/buying opportunities abound! An all day event, with a final concert at 6:30pm. Andante_in_c heavily involved in the organisation, contact her for full details. forum thread

----------------

MARCH

Sunday 1: Nottingham, Nottinghamshire : Saxophone day, to include playing opportunities and the chance to buy saxophone goodies! 10:30am-7:45pm, Djanogly Arts Centre, Nottingham University. Director of music : Alistair Parnell website

Saturday 7: Exeter, Devon : Aeolienne in concert with the Exeter Recorder Orchestra, St. James' Church, Mount Pleasant Road, Exeter. Start time 7:30pm.

Saturday 7 and Sunday 8 : Sunbury-on-Thames, Surrey : Music, Drama and Dance event at the Riverside Arts Centre, PM Suepea for more details.

Saturday 21: Benllech, Anglesey, North Wales : Forum concert, organised by petrat. Solo/ensemble opportunities, including choir/instrumental ensembles and a recorder ensemble. All standards of musicians welcome. website

Saturday 21: Guildford, Surrey : Guest conductor willobie directs the Guildford Society of Recorder Players meeting - PM Suepea for more details.

Saturday 28: Leicester, Leicestershire : Flute choir playday, up to grade 5 standard, Richard Attenborough Centre, Leicester University. PM nickjones8 for more details.

-------------------

APRIL

Sunday 5: Belfast, Northern Ireland : Come and play day with the Ulster Orchestra. Any orchestral instrumentalist of grade 4 standard or higher welcome to perform for a day with the Ulster Orchestra. Ulster Hall, Belfast, rehearsing 2:30-5:30pm, with a performance at 6pm, finishing at 6:30pm. Applications close on 5th January, be aware places for violin and flute in particular book up quickly. Thanks to Andy-piano-flute for the information. website

Saturday 18: Leeds, West Yorkshire : Come and sing Handel's Messiah! 3:30pm-9:30pm forum link

Wednesday 22: Eccles, Greater Manchester : Wurlitzer organ recital of light music given by diapason. Lancastrian Theatre Organ Trust Heritage Centre, Peel Green, Eccles. 1pm. All welcome - PM diapason for more details.

Friday 24: Gloucestershire : First meeting of the Gloucestershire Piano Teacher's Group, 10am. Discussions will include tutor books and repertoire for beginners, including adults, and some duet playing. These meetings are organised by SueHM, send her a PM for more details, and/or read this forum thread.

Sunday 26: Kingston Vale, SW London : Thameside Clarinet Choir clarinet playday, Coombelands Centre, Kingston University, Kingston Vale. A day playing in a clarinet choir- all types of clarinet, from grade 5 standard upwards, welcome. website

------------------------

MAY

Sunday 3 : Barbican, London : Flutewise Live, at the Barbican and the Guildhall School of Music. Flute ensemble opportunites, masterclasses, stalls, plus a concert from Ian Anderson (he of Jethro Tull). website

Saturday 9: Eccles, Greater Manchester : 2nd Eccles orchestral playday, organised by notmusimum, barry-clari and rachi. 10:30am-4:30pm. The Quaker Meeting House, Wellington Road, Eccles. Minimum standard grade 2-3, strings/woodwind/brass/percussion all welcome. Come and play in an orchestral setting! Musical directors : rachi and barry-clari. website

Saturday 16 : Effingham, near Leatherhead, Surrey: Guildford Society of Recorder Players annual playday, St. Teresa's Prep School, Effingham, Surrey. Conductors are Helen Hooker and Anne Martin, PM Suepea for more details.

Sunday 17: Colchester, Essex : Colchester Single Reed Day, Colchester Institute, Sheepen Road, Colchester, Essex. Musical director Charles Hine, other musicians there include Gerard McChrystal (saxophone) and Tim Lines (clarinet). Chances to play in single reed and clarinet/sax choirs, also in smaller groups and in masterclasses. forum thread

Friday 22-Sunday 24 :Scarborough, North Yorkshire : Yorkshire Late Starters Strings residential weekend, Cober Hill, Cloughton, Scarborough. Rooms open from 3pm on the Friday. website

Monday 25: Scarborough, North Yorkshire : Yorkshire Late Starters Strings playday, Cober Hill, Cloughton, Scarborough. 10am-5pm. A single work will be studied, under the directorship of George Kennaway, with the aim of getting the piece to a good standard by the end of the day. All stringed instruments of any standard are welcome website

Saturday 30: Leeds, West Yorkshire: 2nd Players for Pleasure concert, organised by skylark. As in January, there'll be solo and ensemble opportunities of varying descriptions. forum link

-----------------

JUNE

Saturday 6: Aberdeen, North East Scotland : Scottish Recorder Festival, Queen's Cross Church, Aberdeen, featuring a performance by the Scottish Recorder Orchestra. PM neil.clarinet for more details. website

Sunday 7 : Central London : Recital, featuring bohemian (violin), Schott and Co. , Great Marlborough Street, London W1. Featuring music by J. S. Bach and Ben Haim forum thread

Sunday 21 : City of London : The Leviathan Project : 800 sax players will wend their way through the City of London to London Bridge. If you want to get involved, click here.

Sunday 21 : Kensington, London : Exhibition Road Music Day, Exhibition Road, South Kensington, featuring free events covering all manner of instruments, and many different styles of music : from classical to popular to African to Latin American. website
-----------------

JULY

Saturday 4/Sunday 5: Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire : Forest of Dean Music Festival , PM KixMusic for further details.

Saturday 11: Fleet, Hampshire : Andante_in_c (flute), katyjay (soprano) and barry-clari (clarinet) in a charity recital at Christ Church, Gally Hill Road, Church Crookham, Fleet. Theme : 'Dogs, Birds, Sheep and All that Jazz', and includes music by Catherine McMichael, Delibes, John Dankworth, Roussel, Schubert, Doppler and Rutter, amongst others.

Saturday 18 : Stalybridge, Greater Manchester : Adult Learner's concert, organised by sbhoa. An opportunity for adult learners of instruments/voice to play in a welcoming, relaxed setting. Solos and small groups all welcome. Closing date June 20th website

-----------------

AUGUST

Monday 17 - Thursday 20 : Newtownabbey, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland : Barry-clari in Northern Ireland (again) - am now contacting people in NI : PM or email me if you're interested in a forumite gathering!

w/c Saturday 15 or w/c Saturday 22 : Manchester (central) : Chetham's Summer School for Pianists - a major event for pianists! Masterclasses, individual lessons with top tutors and much more! Website with full details is here.

Saturday 29 : West Byfleet, near Woking, Surrey : Handbell playday, organised by sarah123, St. John's Church, West Byfleet, Surrey. 11am-4pm. A chance to play handbells. Even if you've never played handbells before, come and have a go! website

Sunday 30 : Royal Albert Hall, Kensington, London : Forum visit to the Proms, featuring pianist Martha Argerich playing Ravel and Prokofiev, plus the RPO playing Pictures at an Exhibition by Mussorgsky. PM or email me (barry-clari) for details : let me know if you wish to come by 5th May forum link
-----------------

SEPTEMBER

Saturday 19 : Chester, Cheshire: Forum concert, organised by pianocrazy. Solo/ensemble opportunities available, including a choir, a performance of 'In A Persian Market', a recorder group and much more!

Saturday 26 : Tadcaster, North Yorkshire: York Concert Band, featuring the forum's own DawnF, in a charity concert at the Riley Smith Hall, Tadcaster.

-------------------
OCTOBER

Saturday 3: Milverton, near Taunton, Somerset : Orchestral playday, organised by Flute diva, directed by barry-clari, timings approximately 12 noon - 5:30pm. There will be large group and small group rehearsals, and the small groups will play informally to the rest of the participants at the end of the day.

Saturday 3: Woodford, East London : Tony Woollard ('cello) in a charity concert, also featuring various locally based musicians. All Saints Church, Woodford Green, 7pm. Thanks to bohemian and organiser Tess for the information.

Saturday 24 : Central London (W1): Piano playday, Schott and Co, Great Marlborough Street, W1. Intended for up to grade 5-ish. PM Solari for more details : this event is probably up to capacity.
-------------------

NOVEMBER

Friday 13-Sunday 15 Greenwich, SE London : Greenwich International Early Music Festival, Old Royal Naval College, Greenwich. Open 10:30am-6:00pm Friday, 10:00am-6:00pm Saturday, 10:00am-5:30pm Sunday. The definitive event for early music enthusiasts, with trade stalls offering the chance to try early musical instruments, plus many recitals from eminent early music players. website

Saturday 14: York, North Yorkshire : Violin/Clarinet/Piano/Vocal recital featuring bohemian, mwl1, Miss Ross and barry-clari, The Friends' Meeting House, Friargate, York, North Yorkshire. 1pm-3pm. More details to follow.

Sunday 15: Kingston Vale, SW London : Thameside Clarinet Choir clarinet playday, Coombelands Centre, Kingston University, Kingston Vale. A day playing in a clarinet choir- all types of clarinet, from grade 5 standard upwards, welcome. website

Sunday 15: Manchester : Royal Northern College of Music Saxophone Day, featuring opportunities to play and listen to saxophone music. Plenty of trade stands will be there. This is arguably the event to visit for the discerning sax player. More details to come.

Saturday 28: Greenwich, South London : All instruments playday organised by barry-clari - West Greenwich Arts Centre, Greenwich (2 mins from Greenwich DLR/mainline station.)

DECEMBER

Saturday 5: Waterloo, London : Piano playday, organised by Solari. The 1901 Club, Waterloo, London SE1. Thread with details in Viva Piano.

Saturday 12/Sunday 13 : Leeds, West Yorkshire Opportunity to play at a Vintage Fair at St Gemma's Hospice in Leeds. The fair attracts around 800 people over the two days and they raised nearly ?7000 last year. If you're interested in performing or accompanying there, please see the thread in Adult Learners. Opportunity co-ordinated by skylark as part of Players for Pleasure.

#2 Guest: skylark_*

Guest: skylark_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 31 July 2008 - 18:43

Hi Barry, this is the Players for Pleasure info that you said you'd put into the calendar:

Saturday 3rd January: Leeds, West Yorkshire - Players for Pleasure concert, www.forumforum.org.uk/playersforpleasure

Saturday 30th May: Leeds, West Yorkshire - Players for Pleasure concert, www.forumforum.org.uk/playersforpleasure

Thank you! smile.gif

#3 Suepea

Suepea

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1829 posts
  • Member: 299
  • Ashford Middlesex

Posted 31 July 2008 - 20:19

Thanks for the list Barry - great to see that there are going to be some more events in the southern half of the country, especially orchestral playdays. I'm looking forward to 2009.

#4 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 31 July 2008 - 20:38

QUOTE(Suepea @ Jul 31 2008, 09:19 PM) View Post

Thanks for the list Barry - great to see that there are going to be some more events in the southern half of the country, especially orchestral playdays. I'm looking forward to 2009.

smile.gif

Should be two playdays in Greenwich, one in spring, one in autumn Suepea, avoiding South London SRP dates.

Having added a couple of other bits (it's still a work in progress, I'm gradually remembering things as I go along), it strikes me that the North West has also got a very good deal in forum events next year! biggrin.gif

#5 Suepea

Suepea

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1829 posts
  • Member: 299
  • Ashford Middlesex

Posted 31 July 2008 - 20:52

QUOTE(barry-clari @ Jul 31 2008, 09:38 PM) View Post

smile.gif

Should be two playdays in Greenwich, one in spring, one in autumn Suepea, avoiding South London SRP dates.

Having added a couple of other bits (it's still a work in progress, I'm gradually remembering things as I go along), it strikes me that the North West has also got a very good deal in forum events next year! biggrin.gif

Great - keeping fingers crossed that they also avoid Guildford SRP dates (3rd Saturdays mostly)

#6 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • South East London

Posted 31 July 2008 - 20:53

QUOTE(Suepea @ Jul 31 2008, 09:52 PM) View Post

QUOTE(barry-clari @ Jul 31 2008, 09:38 PM) View Post

smile.gif

Great - keeping fingers crossed that they also avoid Guildford SRP dates (3rd Saturdays mostly)

I'll bear that in mind Suepea, I do keep an eye on the SRP site. smile.gif

Thanks for letting me know!

#7 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • South East London

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:58

I think I've put everything I know of on the calendar now.

If anyone wants me to add anything, either a new event, or further details on existing events, do drop me an email or a PM.

Phantasmagoriana, LooneyTunes, Malone, expect emails/PMs in the very near future. Notmusimum, you already have mail. smile.gif

#8 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • South East London

Posted 02 August 2008 - 13:28

Have just had a very productive conversation with notmusimum about the various playdays we're doing in Salford from November '08, and the other events in Greater Manchester.

Very pleased to let you all know that the bandstand gig looks like a goer hurrah.gif , and I'll hopefully have a date for you all by the end of this year. smile.gif

#9 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3781 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:46

I plan to come to anything in essex, hampshire, london or surrey.

especially looking forward to teddington and greenwich.

#10 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • South East London

Posted 06 August 2008 - 14:45

QUOTE(Violin Hero @ Aug 6 2008, 01:46 PM) View Post

I plan to come to anything in essex, hampshire, london or surrey.

especially looking forward to teddington and greenwich.

Teddington is an adult learner concert, and will be in late January or February. Katyjay and/or AmandaL will confirm the date when they've booked the venue.

There will, all being well, be two small scale orchestral playdays in Greenwich, one I'm looking to do in the spring, the other will hopefully be towards the tail end of 2009.

#11 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3781 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 06 August 2008 - 21:38

Barry, there is a hall in Euston, North London that can be hired. Would you like me to investigate?

We could have a play day there. The hall seats about 70 people and has a kitchen for serving refreshments.
There is also an upright piano in the hall.
The hall is 2 minutes from the tube and overground station.

Don't know if this would work. Tell me if it is worth investigating.

#12 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • South East London

Posted 06 August 2008 - 22:23

QUOTE(Violin Hero @ Aug 6 2008, 10:38 PM) View Post

Barry, there is a hall in Euston, North London that can be hired. Would you like me to investigate?

We could have a play day there. The hall seats about 70 people and has a kitchen for serving refreshments.
There is also an upright piano in the hall.
The hall is 2 minutes from the tube and overground station.

Don't know if this would work. Tell me if it is worth investigating.

I'll PM you when my brain is in gear again, I'm a little tired at the moment... (should be sometime tomorrow) smile.gif

#13 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • South East London

Posted 26 August 2008 - 21:28

If I said 'shall we have a playday in Northern Ireland in summer 2009', how many people would be up for it? biggrin.gif

(you're prob'ly getting one anyway... yay.gif)

#14 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • South East London

Posted 26 August 2008 - 21:52

QUOTE(noodle @ Aug 26 2008, 10:45 PM) View Post

QUOTE(barry-clari @ Aug 26 2008, 10:28 PM) View Post

If I said 'shall we have a playday in Northern Ireland in summer 2009', how many people would be up for it? biggrin.gif

(you're prob'ly getting one anyway... yay.gif)
hides.gif

1. Get hall. (probably for an evening in w/c 17th August, I'll fly from Aberdeen)

2. Get friends (including me with the music)

3. Play

4. Eat food.

yay.gif

#15 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • South East London

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:16

A couple of small changes made to the calendar, relating to NI, and Salford. smile.gif