• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Member: 7685
  • The beautiful Norfolk Broads...!

Posted 10 December 2006 - 17:52

QUOTE(YetAnotherPianist @ Dec 10 2006, 05:48 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Manek @ Dec 10 2006, 05:38 PM) View Post

Apparently, by the time next October rolls around, we'll need passports and a load of Euros to get into the Scottish one!

Sorry, am I missing something here?

I don't know...

But from what I've heard, Scotland will become an independant nation following the Scottish Parliament elections next year...

According to my politics teacher, the SNP are well out in front in the opinion polls... And the SNP website states that the first thing they'll do upon getting into power in Scotland will be to open talks with Westminster... Apparently it only took Montenegro 40 days to go from being a province to a fully indepent nation, and a member of the EU/UN... And they say it'll be the same for Scotland... The SNP give Montenegro, Iceland, Ireland and Norway as examples of this on their website...

#32 YetAnotherPianist

YetAnotherPianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6693 posts
  • Member: 2978
  • Sofa; occasionally, piano stool

Posted 10 December 2006 - 18:10

Yes, but you are forgetting that the Scottish Parliament's nick-name is 'the numpties' wink.gif.

Seriously, though, the SNP always do better in opinion polls than they do at voting stations; plus, without a system of proportional representation, they don't get that many seats in the Scottish parliament. People say they'd vote SNP in opinion polls as a form of protest against the government, but then there are two snags:

1) Far fewer people can bring themselves to vote in a party whom have never ran a country before

2) The people who say they support the SNP are, demographically, less likely to vote. The stereotypical lower-class Scot will support anything which is 'anti English' but doesn't go to the trouble of voting.

Then there's the whole issue of the dependencies between English and Scottish business: Sterling is not tied to the Euro, so financial transactions would become difficult.

#33 anacrusis

anacrusis

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5516 posts
  • Member: 4852
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 10 December 2006 - 18:15

I'd also advise against reading a political party's website for a balanced projection on the likely outcome of an election...

#34 Reverie

Reverie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • Member: 5839
  • Edinburgh-ish

Posted 10 December 2006 - 20:13

QUOTE(YetAnotherPianist @ Dec 10 2006, 05:48 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Manek @ Dec 10 2006, 05:38 PM) View Post

Apparently, by the time next October rolls around, we'll need passports and a load of Euros to get into the Scottish one!

Sorry, am I missing something here?

I got confused there too; I was beginning to think I really hadn't being paying attention to the news recently. blink.gif biggrin.gif

#35 katyjay

katyjay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16351 posts
  • Member: 275
  • North Surrey

Posted 10 December 2006 - 20:16

QUOTE(barry-clari @ Dec 8 2006, 09:00 PM) View Post

In meerkat's East Midlands thread, I posted an event calendar. I thought it'd be useful to post it again here so you can all note down these dates in your diaries!

January 6th : fluteteacher and livmaestro's Huddersfield band concert

January 13th : petrat's Chester forum concert

January 27th : meerkat's 1st Harborough playday

February 24th : meerkat's 2nd Harborough playday

March 24th : possible CD recording

April 10th (?) : katyjay and Nicki's Leicester forum concert

May 5th or 6th : meerkat's Harborough bandstand gig

June 2nd : skylark's Leeds forum concert

late July (poss. 28th) : sbhoa's Stalybridge adult learners' concert

September 22nd (probably) : Jo's Woodford forum concert

October (possibly) : a Scottish event from neil.clarinet, YAP, StuMac, katyjay and others.

Other possible events:

A Cambridge event, possibly in the first half of July, from jod.

A Gloucestershire playday, from sarah-flute.

Possibly another Surrey adult learners' concert from katyjay?

I think that's all for now. Thank you to all of you who are organising these events for us! biggrin.gif

Bumping back to the original theme of the thread.....

#36 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 10 December 2006 - 20:19

......and on the original topic, I presume the Surrey adult learner's concert is in much the same situation as the CD recording katyjay.....

#37 katyjay

katyjay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16351 posts
  • Member: 275
  • North Surrey

Posted 10 December 2006 - 20:22

QUOTE(barry-clari @ Dec 10 2006, 08:19 PM) View Post

......and on the original topic, I presume the Surrey adult learner's concert is in much the same situation as the CD recording katyjay.....

Yes, although I hope we're near to resolving that one.

#38 Manek

Manek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Member: 7685
  • The beautiful Norfolk Broads...!

Posted 10 December 2006 - 22:03

QUOTE(katyjay @ Dec 10 2006, 08:16 PM) View Post

In meerkat's East Midlands thread, I posted an event calendar. I thought it'd be useful to post it again here so you can all note down these dates in your diaries!

October (possibly) : a Scottish event from neil.clarinet, YAP, StuMac, katyjay and others.

Other possible events:

I think that's all for now. Thank you to all of you who are organising these events for us! biggrin.gif

Sorry... ph34r.gif

#39 jod

jod

Maestro

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9899 posts
  • Member: 2939
  • Burwell, Cambridgeshire

Posted 11 December 2006 - 15:12

QUOTE(Manek @ Dec 10 2006, 10:03 PM) View Post

QUOTE(katyjay @ Dec 10 2006, 08:16 PM) View Post

Other possible events:

Sorry... ph34r.gif

As someone who is about to embark on organising such an event (thanks Meerkat fo offering assistance) I already have a "to do list" with lots of things on to ensure Meerkat and I get things right.

The long and short of it is that these Concerts can only take place in the locality where forumites who are prepared to organise such events live.

It would be unfair to expect Katyjay who is resident in Surrey to research and organise a concert in Edinburgh.

To put it bluntly its a case of being prepared to put yout money where your mouth is, or if that is not direct enough "put up or shut up".

Concert organisers put a lot of work in to insure a successful event, and for that I salute them.

I have limited experience of event planning so feel I have the necessary skills required to join them. There is only one way to learn and that is to do. But at the same time listen and learn. Ask advice and heed it.

I apologise in advance if anyone found the directness of that message offensive. Its just that alot of people appear to be prepared to put in alot of time and effort, and I don't like people whinging rather than appreciating the job that a team of dedicated people are doing.

#40 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • South East London

Posted 11 December 2006 - 20:10

jod, may I say that some aspects of forum concert arranging can be done 'from a distance'. I'm currently writing pieces and organising various activities for the Leeds concert here in suburban London. And enjoying it very much! biggrin.gif

I've said it before, and I'll say it again : thank you to everyone who is taking the time and trouble to organise these events for all of us to enjoy. smile.gif

#41 Tess

Tess

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2564 posts
  • Member: 3651
  • United Kingdom

Posted 11 December 2006 - 20:24

QUOTE(jo.clarinet @ Dec 9 2006, 06:11 AM) View Post

The Woodford Forums concert will be on Saturday 22nd September, as long as I can have the hall on that date (the school won't be able to confirm this until next April/May). smile.gif

Then I hope Primary Academy will start on Sat 29th Sept next year! Can VN play this time, Jo? It's OK if she can't. I just want to know to answer her query. She is not a show-off or a look at me, look at me type and would be very happy to play in any string quartet. The reason she kept asking me this, so many times, is bec she felt guilty Christine gave her an AB badge in 2005 for "performing next year" when she didn't play the following year. laugh.gif Last year's was an adult learners' concert.

smile.gif

#42 anacrusis

anacrusis

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5516 posts
  • Member: 4852
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 11 December 2006 - 20:29

QUOTE(jod @ Dec 11 2006, 03:12 PM) View Post

The long and short of it is that these Concerts can only take place in the locality where forumites who are prepared to organise such events live.

It would be unfair to expect Katyjay who is resident in Surrey to research and organise a concert in Edinburgh.
To put it bluntly its a case of being prepared to put yout money where your mouth is, or if that is not direct enough "put up or shut up".
I apologise in advance if anyone found the directness of that message offensive. Its just that alot of people appear to be prepared to put in alot of time and effort, and I don't like people whinging rather than appreciating the job that a team of dedicated people are doing.

I don't see anywhere that we have given the impression that we would expect KJ to organise a meeting for us - the difficulty has been that the calendar is filling up faster than we can find a date, and to be frank, it seems that we are being shoehorned into possible dates at a remove - we're not whingeing, it is just an observation. As others have also experienced, we are not having an easy time of finding a venue which fits all the desirable criteria, and that is the starting point for organising any "do".

#43 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • South East London

Posted 11 December 2006 - 20:36

QUOTE(anacrusis @ Dec 11 2006, 08:29 PM) View Post

the difficulty has been that the calendar is filling up faster than we can find a date, and to be frank, it seems that we are being shoehorned into possible dates at a remove - we're not whingeing, it is just an observation.

I don't think you're whinging anacrusis. smile.gif

The main reasons why I started this thread was 1) so that people can note forum event dates in their diaries in plenty of time, and 2) so that others can plan events and pick dates that as many others can do as possible.

This thread does appear to have triggered the organisation of two further events (Cambridge and Scotland), which I'm very pleased to see, and I hope the Scottish event both finds itself a date and venue, and is then a success. smile.gif

#44 YetAnotherPianist

YetAnotherPianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6693 posts
  • Member: 2978
  • Sofa; occasionally, piano stool

Posted 11 December 2006 - 20:59

QUOTE(barry-clari @ Dec 11 2006, 08:36 PM) View Post

This thread does appear to have triggered the organisation of two further events (Cambridge and Scotland), which I'm very pleased to see, and I hope the Scottish event both finds itself a date and venue, and is then a success. smile.gif

The thread hasn't been a trigger in the case of the Scottish concert: I know that anacrusis, AP, myself, and a couple of other forum members have been making enquiries to venues with the prospect of organising a Scottish concert for quite some time now now, after some initial discussions on the forums discussing whereabouts to hold it in Scotland. It just hasn't been worth starting a thread yet to discuss the concert because stating the intention to have a concert of some sort at some venue at some time wouldn't be entirely helpful.

#45 Guest: skylark_*

Guest: skylark_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 11 December 2006 - 21:03

QUOTE(barry-clari @ Dec 11 2006, 08:10 PM) View Post

jod, may I say that some aspects of forum concert arranging can be done 'from a distance'. I'm currently writing pieces and organising various activities for the Leeds concert here in suburban London. And enjoying it very much! biggrin.gif

... and it's much appreciated barry-clari, both by me and I'm sure by all the people who have asked to join the activities already announced smile.gif

QUOTE(barry-clari @ Dec 11 2006, 08:10 PM) View Post

I've said it before, and I'll say it again : thank you to everyone who is taking the time and trouble to organise these events for all of us to enjoy. smile.gif

... and thanks to all those who are being so helpful behind the scenes... smile.gif