Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5956 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 10 October 2018 - 13:47

I have a 34-stringed lever harp (clarsach) sitting in my music room on which I had very enjoyable lessons some years ago. Since the lessons stopped, I have basically ignored it, and it is glaring at me (rather dejectedly) from the corner of the room. I'd like to get something going with it again, and wondered if anyone could recommend a harp tutor (probably beginnerish!) to get me re-started. 

#2 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5956 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 10 October 2018 - 17:39

I've just realised I didn't make myself very clear......that is, not a harp/clarsach tutor (as in person) but a harp/clarsach tutor BOOK!smile.png

#3 sopsaxharpflute

sopsaxharpflute

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Member: 889297
  • The Netherlands

Posted 11 October 2018 - 14:59

Depending on your level of playing:

I love the Pamal Bruner's series Play the Harp Beautifully,vol. 1-3. The volumes 2 and 3 got me really going again. You can buy an optional DVD for the books 1 and 2.

I've also got: Alison Kinnaird's The Small Harp Tutor, which may be especially interesting if you like Scottish folkmusic. It advances much quicker than Play the Harp Beautifully. It's rather old and there's a cassette on which you can hear the tunes.

I don't know whether you can read German, but I love Christoph Pampuch's harpbooks. Have a look at: http://www.harpamund...tischeharfe.htm You may like to buy the optional cd's on which the music is played.

#4 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5956 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 12 October 2018 - 10:24

Thanks for your reply, sopsaxharpflute. A browse round another harp thread and musicroom led me to a few books which are winging their way towards me, but I will look again for Pamal Bruner's series. I don't have pedals, though, which I think I recall reading you need for this series after Bk 1?

I was taught by Alison Kinnaird years ago! She is an amazing lady. 

Read German? Nein!

#5 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4610 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 12 October 2018 - 14:51

I used Nancy Calthorpe "Begin the Harp" for my clarsach and this was good.

#6 sopsaxharpflute

sopsaxharpflute

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Member: 889297
  • The Netherlands

Posted 12 October 2018 - 15:20

Thanks for your reply, sopsaxharpflute. A browse round another harp thread and musicroom led me to a few books which are winging their way towards me, but I will look again for Pamal Bruner's series. I don't have pedals, though, which I think I recall reading you need for this series after Bk 1?

All Bruner's books are especially  meant for the lever harp.