Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 02 May 2018 - 20:42

You have learnt one of the most valuable lessons of the exam system - if you fail an exam, the 'music police' don't come in the night and confiscate your instrument and enforce a 'no more music for you, ever' injunction.  Keep on enjoying, look at exams sooner, later or never as the mood takes you, and have fun smile.png

You are so right. It feels like the ultimate disaster at the time but then you realise you're still alive and nothing more terrible has happened or will happen because of it. Someone (I think it may have been Confucius or maybe Gandhi) once said that he who never made a mistake never made anything. Frenchie, you seem very aware of what mistakes you made and no doubt you won't make them again, although you may make others.  All part of the great learning process. smile.png

#17 vron

vron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Member: 898525

Posted 03 May 2018 - 20:30

well despite this story (Or perhaps because of  it as it shows that whatever the outcome we can still triumph and enjoy the  music) I have today entered  for my very first music exam ohmy.png 

#18 Tom Nor

Tom Nor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Member: 675390

Posted 21 May 2018 - 16:34

What a great story teller you are, you made me feel the emotion of the moment as if I was there in the exam room myself !

The shaking hands when you perform in "unexpected" circumstances is very common for adults (kids seem to cope with it better, maybe because life is a series of unexpected circumstances to them still.....).      Don't worry, you will find strategies to cope with it.    As you realise, you need to get out of your comfort zone and play for other people/in other circumstances.     Don't underestimate the effect of playing on a different piano - the feel, even the location of where the music is (on a grand vs. an upright the music stand is in a different place relative to the keyboard).    

There's a book by Sara Solovitch "Playing Scared" that is quite amusing (and encouraging) about her own experiences - you might enjoy reading that.     

Most important, don't give up on trying to inspire your kids to take up an instrument.   The piano is not that easy to start with, as the coordination of  reading two hands and the "too-big" instrument is a problem when they're young.    Single line instruments like flute, recorder, clarinet, strings - some of which come in "half-size" or "shrunken size" instruments -  might be easier to start with.    My daughter started on the flute, got to G7 and then started to work on keyboard after that.      

#19 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6171 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 21 May 2018 - 22:45

There are ways to get around the coordination (really simple stuff), and they could start on keyboard- I started with Yamaha lessons on a keyboard at age 4. It was all fun and games at that age. Singing, clapping, playing keyboard with ten other kids, and a sticker at the end- what's not to like!

#20 Digby

Digby

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2073 posts
  • Member: 480

Posted 22 May 2018 - 13:30

Well done and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Whilst you may not have got the certificate you have learnt so much from the experience.  

The shakes are unfortunately very normal, one way to counteract it a little is to make sure you have something to eat half an hour beforehand. Also when the examiner gives you chance to 'try the piano' its literally just that, they are on such a tight timescale you have just about enough time to press a couple of notes and get a feel for whether it is a loud or soft piano.  Next time you'll be prepared for that.  

Check out some local festivals they often have adult beginner non competitive classes and have a word with your teacher there are often little play ins arranged where people get together to play together.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grad1, piano, exam