Rosemary7391

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8063 posts
  • Member: 7195
  • Glasgow

Posted 20 July 2007 - 18:38

Well if you want to get a decent but not too expensive recorder, go for the Aulos plastic ones - they've served me well so far!

I've decided - I am going to buy a treble! Now of course that means I will also need music for it whistling.gif Any suggestions? About G6/7 I think. Particularly any Baroque pieces wub.gif

#62 flutecake

flutecake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Member: 10258
  • Munich

Posted 20 July 2007 - 19:12

How about the new time pieces book? Treble book 2 is supposed to be grades 3 - 5 so that should provide something to get into it, at least that´s what I am going to do.

The Handel sonata book says flute or recorder on the cover. I have the Bärenreiter edition which has 10 or 11 sonatas in it. It´s the bok that is on the ABRSM syllabus for flute exams

#63 Rosemary7391

Rosemary7391

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8063 posts
  • Member: 7195
  • Glasgow

Posted 20 July 2007 - 19:16

I'll have a look thanks! I probably won't get time pieces - I'm looking for stuff for my A level performances next year, so it has to be at least G6 smile.gif

#64 Guest: petrat_*

Guest: petrat_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 20 July 2007 - 20:11

QUOTE(Alder @ Jul 20 2007, 04:46 PM) View Post

QUOTE(petrat @ Jul 20 2007, 01:54 PM) View Post

Your brown and cream recorder is probably a Dolmetsch too.

Hmmm, not so much... I went back and had a closer look, and stamped on the bottom is 'Made in Japan'.

laugh.gif

Oh well.

No, Japanese recorders are OK. Does it have any other marks on? More to the point is it in tune and at concert pitch?

#65 jacobvaneyck

jacobvaneyck

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3595 posts
  • Member: 2998

Posted 20 July 2007 - 20:45

QUOTE(petrat @ Jul 20 2007, 09:11 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Alder @ Jul 20 2007, 04:46 PM) View Post

QUOTE(petrat @ Jul 20 2007, 01:54 PM) View Post

Your brown and cream recorder is probably a Dolmetsch too.

Hmmm, not so much... I went back and had a closer look, and stamped on the bottom is 'Made in Japan'.

laugh.gif

Oh well.

No, Japanese recorders are OK. Does it have any other marks on? More to the point is it in tune and at concert pitch?

My very first recorder was a Dolmetsch International descant, which I assume was the forerunner to the Nova. Not a patch of my Yamahas though.

'Made in Japan' is likely Aulos or Yamaha.

#66 Alder

Alder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Member: 11952

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:22

QUOTE(neil.clarinet @ Jul 20 2007, 09:45 PM) View Post

'Made in Japan' is likely Aulos or Yamaha.

Aulos it is! Couldn't make out the logo until I knew what it said...!

Could anyone suggest books that might be suitable for an almost beginner? I play piano, so I read music, and it turns out that I remember quite a lot of the fingering (I found Abracadabra Recorder 3 in the cupboard!) but have no idea where to go from here.

#67 Alder

Alder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Member: 11952

Posted 21 July 2007 - 14:25

Revise everything I just said...

Somehow I went into our local music shop today to buy a new book for one of my piano pupils, and came out with an Aulos treble/alto recorder. laugh.gif It was just sitting there up on one of the cupboards...and I had made the mistake of letting my mum come in with me. "Ooo, I wonder what that sounds like," she said. And then gave me some money towards getting it when she liked the noise.

Unfortunately, I must be a very long distance from the nearest serious recorder player, since the choice of books was a bit pitiful - one wee box in the corner. So now, all the same questions I asked about descant - which books are good etc - only for treble. 'Cause anything I want to get I'm going to have to order in.

Oh, and what's the wee pot of what looks like wax for? unsure.gif

Edit: It's an hour later and I've been playing about and trying the Abracadabra book I got for this (don't know how good it is, but it was the only treble tutor there) and would anyone have an idea why I can only squeak when I try low G? smile.gif

#68 notmusimum

notmusimum

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9219 posts
  • Member: 5959

Posted 21 July 2007 - 16:09

My daughter learnt with the John Pitts books, you can buy the Descant ones with or without CD. Lots of tunes in there you will already know. they are popular so most Music Shops will stock them or there's always Music Exchange or Music Room on line. I prefer the former as they will send out part orders so if some of your books aren't in stock you will get the others straight away.

Hope you enjoy your Recorder playing.

#69 Teigr

Teigr

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1434 posts
  • Member: 12327

Posted 21 July 2007 - 17:05

QUOTE(Alder @ Jul 21 2007, 03:25 PM) View Post

Oh, and what's the wee pot of what looks like wax for? unsure.gif

It's joint grease. To make it easier to put it together and take it apart. Use sparingly.

T.

#70 Guest: SarahSax1986_*

Guest: SarahSax1986_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 16:05

I have a stupid question...why does my treble clog up after about 10 minutes of playing?

#71 Guest: petrat_*

• Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 16:20

This is not a stupid question at all. A recorder will clog if it is not at body temperature when you begin to play it. You should always warm it first by tucking the head joint under your arm or keeping it in a pocket very close to your body. Never warm it by blowing into it as this will simply cause moisture to form on the inside surfaces just as it does if you breathe onto a pane of glass.
The windway needs to be kept really clean. Any little specks of dirt or dust or dead baked bean bits will allow moisture to grip and the problem gets worse. A feather is very useful for keeping the windway clear of bits but use the soft and not the quill end. Plastic recorders should be bathed from time to time also.
Wooden recorders need to be oiled occasionally. There was another thread about this recently. If clogging is a constant problem with a wooden instrument it would be well worth taking it to a good tecnician, (best one that I know of is at the Early Music Shop in Bradford) who will remove the plug and check it over. That should solve matters, but mostly they clog because they are cold or because ytou are not blowing dryly.

#72 Good Intentions

Good Intentions

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Member: 10745
  • ISLE OF WIGHT

Posted 30 July 2007 - 16:24

As we are on the topic, I had a fugging up problem with my plastic tenor and wooden descant, warmer them has helped immensley (not to mention the odd suck back) however in you last post you mentioned blowing dryly, I have a sneeking suspicion I am a wet blower, if you know what I mean, this problem seems much worse on my wooden recorder.

Any thoughts Petra? (apart from stop dribbling down your recorder you silly woman wink.gif )

#73 Guest: petrat_*

• Guests

Posted 30 July 2007 - 16:39

laugh.gif Yes, stop dribbling down your recorder you daft old bat!
Actually it is a very common problem, especially with beginners. As a rule you should breathe through your mouth when playing. Tongue usind a really light Doo Doo and not a Too Too and that will help too, as well as making a far better start to your notes. Take some slow and deep breaths through your mouth before you begin to play and that seems to help also.

#74 sarah-flute

sarah-flute

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25735 posts
  • Member: 2729
  • Insomniaville

Posted 30 July 2007 - 21:28

QUOTE(petrat @ Jul 30 2007, 05:20 PM) View Post
You should always warm it first by tucking the head joint under your arm or keeping it in a pocket very close to your body.

Petra follows her own advice - I had to stifle a giggle when I saw the recorder poking out from under her arm in the concert on Saturday - I had forgotten this recorder-player's trick till then, it should stick in my brain now! laugh.gif (Was definitely worth it for the wonderful performance! wink.gif)

#75 anacrusis

anacrusis

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5516 posts
  • Member: 4852
  • Edinburgh, Scotland

Posted 30 July 2007 - 23:44

Another tip to stop fogging - don't play in the hour after eating, if you can help it - there's often extra saliva around. And cleaning teeth well ahead of playing helps to stop gunky residues from getting stuck too... ill.gif
I'm always being laughed at for stuffing my recorders down my jumper when there's a performance pending.