#16 Sautillé

Sautillé

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Member: 897314

Posted 28 May 2019 - 20:04

So I just found out that my (2) candidates have a week approx 3 weeks before the date I asked for.... I daren't think about my other entries. Of those two, one is G2 and one G3. Both are ready, but they are not ready in a 2/3 weeks with some aural tests on the side kind of a way.... I am just so fed up with this. I have already sent all my parents a Trinity vs AB spreadsheet. I’m afraid this is the final nail in the coffin for AB exams. The thing AB need to understand is that 2/3 of my kids already have to do Trinity beyond G6 anyway due to the theory.....I couuld just open up all my teaching down a trinity route...... why would anybody bother???

#17 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6570 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 28 May 2019 - 20:32

I do think that some centres are not open for some of the weeks of the exam session. I used to use a local centre and had a bad experience where I had asked for week 5 and got week 1 because the venue was being used for a wedding in the last week! So I've tracked down a slightly-further-away centre which offers some days in most weeks and it seems to work out better for me.

#18 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3693 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 28 May 2019 - 21:04

I understand that something like a bereavement or illness might have caused the centre I asked for to be out of operation. But surely I could have been asked where else I would choose for my candidate to go rather than being shipped off to a very different and inconvenient venue?

#19 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2802 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:40

So I just found out that my (2) candidates have a week approx 3 weeks before the date I asked for.... I daren't think about my other entries. Of those two, one is G2 and one G3. Both are ready, but they are not ready in a 2/3 weeks with some aural tests on the side kind of a way.... I am just so fed up with this. I have already sent all my parents a Trinity vs AB spreadsheet. I’m afraid this is the final nail in the coffin for AB exams. The thing AB need to understand is that 2/3 of my kids already have to do Trinity beyond G6 anyway due to the theory.....I couuld just open up all my teaching down a trinity route...... why would anybody bother???

I'm sure it must be the case that some centres only hold exams for 1 or 2 weeks each session. I'm fairly sure that that applies to both of my local centres and I know that the one I used before I moved here only ever had one week of exams each session. I have always told my pupils that they should be ready on the day that the exam session starts. That way, there is never any panic when the date comes through. Of course some will feel more prepared than others, but I have a policy of never putting anyone in for an exam - theory or practical - if I think they're not ready to pass fairly comfortably.      

#20 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2202 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:51

Yes, one of the many advantages of Trinity is signing up online to a specific centre with an exact date and time ( a good incentive to get in early as there is obviously more choice). Also many centres offer Sundays, which suits the majority of my working parents.

#21 hennylemon

hennylemon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 29 May 2019 - 09:52

Yes, one of the many advantages of Trinity is signing up online to a specific centre with an exact date and time ( a good incentive to get in early as there is obviously more choice). Also many centres offer Sundays, which suits the majority of my working parents.

A student chiming in: I didn't know this about Trinity. That sounds like how a booking system should be. I hate not knowing when my exam might be. I'm very lucky to have a fairly flexible job but it's still anxiety-inducing to just keep on waiting to find out your exam date.

#22 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1377 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 29 May 2019 - 11:07

Asked for week 4 and got the Monday of week 2 for my first batch (ik use more than one centre). Ah well.

#23 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 30 May 2019 - 07:33

I can't believe that this is a forum attached to the ABRSM's very own website, many people are raising very legitimate concerns about the exam booking system ... and nobody from ABRSM is reading this and providing suitable comment! I get the feeling here that many people really would like to continue to put students in for ABRSM's exams, but are getting so frustrated with all this that it's becoming almost impossible.

Why aren't ABRSM getting involved? Even just to say they've heard? Very sad. 

#24 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6570 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:30

A student chiming in: I didn't know this about Trinity. That sounds like how a booking system should be. I hate not knowing when my exam might be. I'm very lucky to have a fairly flexible job but it's still anxiety-inducing to just keep on waiting to find out your exam date.

It doesn't apply to all centres. My local Trinity centre still uses paper application and your exam can be anywhere within a 2 or 3 week window. However, you can state times you really cannot do. I have recently tried the new online application which was indeed impressive, but I would worry if I could only apply nearer the closing date that there wouldn't be any space left.

#25 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19919 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:49

My appointments are in, and it seems I have the Friday of week 5.

#26 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2202 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 30 May 2019 - 13:52

To Hedgehog - yes, I can remember the manual form-filling, the cheque-writing, the stamp, the envelope! Seems ages ago now, and the new streamlined system was worth waitihg for. I think it will soon be rolled out across the whole country.

You don't apply near to the closing date! You can apply as soon as the dates are put up by the centres, which is well in advance. I did my entry in April for our 2 Sundays in July. There was a choice of about 8 dates at my nearest centre, and there are other nearby alternative venues.

#27 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41740 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 30 May 2019 - 14:19

My dates are through. To say ‘steaming mess’ is being kind...

#28 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 30 May 2019 - 16:46

Still waiting for mine...

#29 hls4

hls4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Member: 893458
  • South East London

Posted 30 May 2019 - 16:58

Mine have just come through - penultimate week - phew (was hoping for that as that was the week for this centre last year.......but you never know!)

#30 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2802 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 31 May 2019 - 14:00

Mine are week two, which is fine. Time for 3 more lessons - and lots of scale work!